SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

What do you think about my ideas? Your opinions welcomed

homersgarden
16 years ago

We are moving closer to this kitchen remodel. I have been cutting out pictures for a few years and think I know what I want. We are going to start estimates in the next week or two. I wanted to have some general ideas in place for that.

Here is what I have currently: A larger galley type kitchen with a 48" cooktop and one wall oven. I will be switching to a 48" range/double oven combo (thus losing cabinet space, but gaining it where the oven used to be). Solid oak cabinets, oak floors, one large window over sink and a bay window in the eating nook that looks into the kitchen. I will try to load a picture on here at some point.

Here is what my ideas are:

New 48" oven (double)

Copper hood

Paint cabinets cream with an aging stain and add knobs

Add additional cabinets where current "writing desk is" (what a waste of space)

Soapstone or marble counter tops (have a butcher block countertop area I do want to keep)

Copper sink

Remove part of wall to open kitchen up a bit

Neutral tile backsplash (need to begin looking here) that will have some copper accents

New lighting (currently have panels)

Some wainscoating around eating nook that matches cabinets

New fridge & dishwasher (WHAT COLOR? I have heard stainless is messy and white would go with the countertops and cabinets...this is an area I could really use opinions on)

My biggest concerns are what to do with appliances. Since I WANT copper hood and sink would I go with white or stainless? The kitchen has great big windows, but we don't get a lot of light due to the large overhangs. I want to lighten it up as much as possible. Any other suggestions or ideas? Our kitchen has a large doorish area that opens into our "formal" living room. We will be opening that door area up a bit to make it flow better for parties and such. I am also thinking of building a buffet in the living room along a wall where we currently have a piano to use for additional storage and a bar/food area for parties. We have a bar downstairs, but when we entertain we tend to have people in both places. I digress. Ideas? Concerns? Comments?

Comments (4)