SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_alston10

LOOKING FOR FLOOR PLAN FEEDBACK

Patrick A
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’ve been lurking for quite some time and making occasional comments offering my two cents worth based solely on my opinion and non-professional experience.

We're getting close to finalizing it. So, I thought I’d throw our tentative floor plan out for constructive (or not so constructive) criticism.

The basics are single story, 4 bedroom, 4.5 baths, large interior courtyard, wrap-around front porch, Rural Mediterranean style, two adults, one cat and located in Arizona’s Sonoran Desert.

The goals include multi-generational living, entertainment friendly, light and delight.

The plan shows one attached garage, but the other three are detached and not shown.

The media room near the front is mislabeled. It’s actually part of the granny-suite which includes the adjacent bedroom.

Honest feedback requested.

If it's hard to read, then try this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SxQWObbKlVavf-t6nY4wHyCIHDFCAxuT/view?usp=sharing

Comments (60)

• bpath
    3 years ago

No matter which way things face, you won’t be in the pool On those hot afternoons. But the sunsets will be spectacular. So true, orientation matters less In AZ!

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is the entire center a courtyard, open to the sky?

Yes, it's about 1000 sq ft open to the sky except for the roof overhang.

I’d imagine a morning room positioned to catch the morning sun.

It's positioned adjacent to the kitchen and opens to the side porch with direct views over the planned garden towards mountains. I'll take that over the sunrise.

Would you consider orienting the house more to the north, including the pool in the courtyard?

HOA requires the front face east and parallel to the street. I considered a pool in the courtyard, but decided against it given the size pool that I want (likely 20' x 40') which would not fit + I want the courtyard to be a casual gathering place around the fireplace and be a safe place for our cat. The space will be landscaped and have two large olive or oak trees. It's modeled after this photo

I imagine your visitors will park in the driveway and use the door by the morning room?

Yes, or they can park on the street and approach from the front.

The kitchen seems very inconvenient, in size and in layout, for a small household

I expect we'll work with a designer to get the kitchen dialed in. We recognize some challenges. We're no there yet. We designed this house for a larger household. There will likely be two islands. We're not staying long.

• Related Discussions

First Post - Looking for Feedback on Floor Plan

Q

Comments (24)
    Your floorplan is very similar to ours. It looks like yours is designed for a more formal lifestyle, but other than that, it's the same basic concept. :) We have a much more casual lifestyle (no paid staff, unfortunately) so my responses are based on MY lifestyle. If your lifestyle is different, you take take my comments with a grain of salt. FIRST FLOOR (1) Will you actually dine in the dining room? Who is the cook in your house? Does he/she enjoy carrying hot dishes 28 feet across the house? Even if you have household staff who cook and serve your meals, it's quite the distance. (2) Your pantry is not easily accessible from the kitchen. Will the cook in your house be okay carrying food/appliances 21 feet from the pantry to the island on a regular basis? Will your kids put their cereal boxes back in the pantry, or will they be left out on the counter due to the 42 foot march back/forth to the pantry? (3) Ensure your garage is wide/deep enough for your needs. Our current garage is about the same dimensions as yours and it is a nightmare for two cars, plus garbage/recycling bins and some tools. Once we added the baby stroller into the mix, we pretty much want to throw things every time we navigate our garage. (4) I envy your screened porch. What a delightful space that will be!!! (5) Do you play billiards often enough to justify having a dedicated space for it on your first floor? We don't play billiards, but I would keep this room because it would make a great play room for children! SECOND FLOOR (6) Of the two bathroom options, I prefer the "optional" one. I hate corner bath tubs because they are a pain in the butt to clean. (Again, we don't have paid staff. If we had a maid I would probably have a different opinion.) (7) The master closet door placement makes it difficult to place furniture in the master bedroom. I see only two walls (one for a bed, one for a dresser). If you plan on keeping most of your clothes in the closets, I think this isn't a big deal, just something to think about. (We are minimalists and keep all of our clothes in the closet, so a dresser isn't a priority.) (8) I'm confused about the Bedroom 3 bed and layout. Is that a nook for a dormer window? Is the bed one of those L-shaped bunk beds? (9) I personally wouldn't want a bathroom for every single bedroom in the house, mostly because I hate cleaning toilets. Even if they are not used, I hate cleaning them because my least favorite thing to clean is dusting around the base (which gets dirty whether it is used or not). Again, I don't have a maid...I'm sure having a maid would change my perspective. :) You don't say much about your family make-up, but based on your floorplan, I would assume that your household consists of one man, one woman, 2 teenaged/adult children living at home, and a part-time maid/cook.
    ...See More

Looking for floor plan feedback 5,000 ft 2 story

Q

Comments (24)
    Wow, such great suggestions by everyone, thank you so much! We are in WI where the winters are painfully long, the front of the house faces south so the sunroom on the side is my answer to needing a quiet space I can sit in the sun in the winter months. If the rear faced South, we would have just made a typical sunroom off of the back dinette. We also have a wide lot so I liked the idea of building the width of the house. We have two little ones, so part of the jack n Jill will be for a few times a year guest room. I do worry about the annoyance of the double locks on the bathroom and am open to ideas to improve. I figured though for two weeks a year, not a huge deal. The master bath/bed is my least favorite as well. I can't figure out how to get a good design with the master on the left but I would love if it could be done. The second staircase makes things challenging anyway I've tried it. If anyone can make this work well, I would love to see it. I do like the last post's MBath idea a lot - much less wasted space. I am very open to getting rid of the seating area and private entrance (husbands idea). Yes, we are trying to do a laundry chute too :) We did think long about all bedrooms up but at the end of the day, we are youngish, 30s, and like going "up" to bed, having more privacy from the living areas and being closer to the kids. I also liked the security of sleeping with windows open on the second floor. I know that doesn't seem to be the trend these days. The wall between the kitchen and dining room hall houses the fridge, so that would be tough to remove. The last thing we are really stuck on is whether to make the dinette bump out a hearth room or a screened porch. Love the screened in porch for 4 mos here but it will shade the already north facing dinette in the winter and I really want light spaces.
    ...See More

Looking for feedback/tips/ideas on our floor plan

Q

Comments (13)
    Do you have any ideas or suggestions to get more natural light? Generally, there 2 important considerations for flooding a home with pleasant natural light: (1) the directions that most of the windows face, and (2) how deep/fat the house is. For starters, it's great that you seem to have land that encourages a home with mostly north/south windows. :-) Southern light is great for living spaces, because it's nice and bright for most of the day, without being glaring (east at dawn; west at dusk). Now, because I'm in Texas, lol, I'd want my garage on the *west* side, to block all the heat, but in y'all's case, having it on the *east* side may help facilitate the melting of snow on the driveway, right? If that's true, and if you have the space on your lot, I'd consider a side-load garage/driveway. Otherwise, a north-facing driveway may take f.o.r.e.v.e.r. for snow to melt. :-D (Or so I imagine... Never lived in a snowy climate as an adult. Or, maybe since it's on the NE corner, it may get enough light from the east side...?) Secondly, creating a home that's only 1-2 rooms deep allows you to have windows on 2 (or maybe even 3) sides of some rooms. That is *huge* for making a space feel great, allowing for sunshine coming from 2 sides, as well as cross-breeze opportunities. Another advantage to a home that's only 1-2 rooms deep is a simpler/less expensive roof. Win-win, right there, lol. These are just two of the dozens (hundreds?) of things to think about when designing a house. I'm currently reading "Patterns of Home" by Jacobson, Silverstein, and Winslow, and *dang* you would not believe everything that goes into good design. I'm reading it for recreation as well as education, and it's creating a greater appreciation for my architect, to be honest. :-D
    ...See More

looking for floor plan feedback

Q

Comments (19)
    I built a home similar to this for a client a few years ago. The main difference was the hallway to the bedrooms, we had it coming from the entry, not the living room. (Sorry I won't post their plan) If your guests are asleep the TV sound will go right down the hallway to their bedrooms. So many of my clients want the farmer stairs. I get it. I think it's a Midwest thing? (I don't know where you're building, just a guess). If you get into a budget crunch, these are pretty expensive if done properly, so would be a target for deduction. I may be wrong, but I think you will be able to see the shoes/boots/coats in the mud area from the kitchen island and possibly even the dining room? Do you spend more time in the kitchen or dining room? I would base my decision for the location of these spaces in reference to the best views. Or, I'd find a way to have both adjacent to the view. I personally spend more time in the kitchen than any other space in the house (except when sleeping). Will you enjoy the large front porch? Or do you just like the look of it? If it's the latter, I feel you can make a beautiful home without a full front porch. Window peeking aside, the South sun would shine beautifully into these bedrooms in the winter without the front porch. Take notice to how they build the roofline. If they base the front from the porch, you will enjoy a massive façade of shingles. Spend some time with your architect understanding how the windows and cabinets on either side of the fireplace will look. Where the TV goes too. There is a significant amount of dead space between the Kitchen and Family Room. I worked on a home that had a space similar to this. The homeowners hated it, and had a custom built double-sided buffet table placed there with a big wooden canoe hanging above. It filled the space.... Nobody should put baby in a corner, or double doors. If the hallway naturally landed in the middle of the Master then the double door would be fine, but in a corner? Not so much. Honestly think this is a pretty descent start. Most of these things hover on the nitpicky side of the equation. Best of Luck
    ...See More
  • jslazart
    3 years ago

I live in Arizona. "Shade trees" and pools don't mix. And sure, plenty of people "deal" with the 120+ degree days, but some are more miserable than others. If you are only going to live there a year, I think I'd pick something less extravagant and more saleable. Particularly with costs the way they are right now. (Also: you won't have a shade tree worth writing home about within a year, or two, or three.)

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath: No matter which way things face, you won’t be in the pool On those hot afternoons. But the sunsets will be spectacular. So true, orientation matters less In AZ!

Ha! You must not live in AZ. We love a hot pool and I love being outdoors in the sun in the middle of summer. You get used to it. Out here, we don't even get in the pool until it have been over 100 degree for 30 days to ensure the pool is warm enough.

@jslazart I live in Arizona. "Shade trees" and pools don't mix. And sure, plenty of people "deal" with the 120+ degree days, but some are more miserable than others. If you are only going to live there a year, I think I'd pick something less extravagant and more saleable. Particularly with costs the way they are right now. (Also: you won't have a shade tree worth writing home about within a year, or two, or three.)

Thank you for your input and I appreciate your financial advice (although I thought we were talking floor plans). The home is appropriate (and typical) for the neighborhood and will like reflect the median price for custom homes located here. Shade trees will be around the house--not the pool. I want my pool exposed to the sun and, where necessary, I will install specimen trees.

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

Here's my favorite one-story, 4-bedroom, 3.5 bathroom house with an interior courtyard (open to the sky) that has three spots for fireplaces - master suite, courtyard, and great room. Built by William Lyon Company in Las Vegas. It has a much better flow than your plan.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I spent two summers in AZ and the second summer I was used to it, but I never did enjoy a warm pool lol.

Anyway, I like the concept of your plan, the main living area is similar to the house I was in, including the living room/den location and morning room. That house had a casita by the separate garage, but within the courtyard.

Which do you think will be your usual entrance? Through the garage, or through the door by the morning from?

I'd be a bit concerned about the external doors in rooms that might not be used so much, like the middle bedroom.

Who will use the Granny suite?

is the entry vestibule open, or is it an enclosed space, complete with ceiling and ventilation?

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lindsey_CA - "It has a much better flow than your plan."

Thank you for your input, Linda. Please explain so that I can understand your thought. Why is it better given my restrictions on garage placement, need for a granny suite, an office, a usable porch that wraps the corner, light and delight? It's one thing to offer criticism (even if it seems harsh) and explain the "why" behind it. It's another to just say that another solution is "much better" without supporting your input.

With that said, that plan you offer would not pass the custom design guideline requirements in my neighborhood. It's obviously a production home designed for a production lot that does not need to consider four-sided design, views, and exterior living on all sides. Is the plan you share better because the forward facing garages dominate the the front elevation or because it lacks accomodation for a fully-contained, separate multi-generational space? Perhaps it's because it a 2ndary bathroom is shared, has no office, has no usable front porch, and has a more efficient courtyard that's probably 1/3 the size...and my floor plan is only slightly larger. My original plan included a flow with hallways on each side of the house; however, that plan was 5700 (8000 under roof) sq feet livable and was a budget buster.

Our other thought was to create a plan that encourages taking shortcuts through the courtyard to get to the other parts of the home. Making the outdoors seamless with the interior enhances the living experience.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

and the sunrise and sunset will be incredible and the pool will be warmer.

Except the sunset will bring too much glare into the room which means you'll need to close your drapes and it also means it will bring too much heat into the room, which means your AC unit will have to work 2x as hard to even try to get it cooler. Which it won't.

As an example, my DH's study faces E/S/W and he has to keep his blinds drawn in the late afternoon and his room is absolutely warmer than the rest of the house.

As for the pool, yes it will get warmer in LATE afternoon. However once again best orientation is south where the sun would warm the pool ALL DAY.

The heat is tough to escape in AZ; however, shade trees will be strategically placed and the inside will be well protected and conditioned to handle the harsh elements. There are many homes here that successfully deal with the occasional 120 degree summer days.

I understand heat. The only difference between your heat and mine is ours comes with humidity. I'm in SW Florida. Even with us building to handle the elements, we still found that the few west facing rooms (DH's and our guest room are the only two) wound up being more of a drain on our AC unit. Additionally we did something similar in that we built a U shaped house and that too adds to the AC load since it's not as compact. (Having lived in Mexico many moons ago, I love a courtyard house but in our climate it wouldn't have worked well which is one reason we went U shaped.)

I'd also like to point out that if you don't have a prep sink on the middle island or on the perimeter between fridge and cooktop in the kitchen, then your kitchen is not very functional. Your middle island will be a barrier between the sink and the cooktop.

Additionally it appears your kitchen is nice and large. However when appliances are more than 9' from one another, it makes it more like running a marathon than cooking comfortably.

Might you need more room in the entry from the one car garage? It looks narrow. We are only two people but we use our mudroom/friends' entry all the time and I'm glad I made ours 6' wide.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath

You asked, Which do you think will be your usual entrance? Through the garage, or through the door by the morning from?

My wife will use the single garage and enter through the hallway adjacent to the kitchen pantry. Given the location of my garages, I expect that I will enter through either the side near the breakfast room or, more likely, through the one of the doors off the rear covered patio.

I'd be a bit concerned about the external doors in rooms that might not be used so much, like the middle bedroom.

Is that because of a safety concern? That is, more openings for the bad guys?

Who will use the Granny suite?

The Casita recognizes the surging need for aging parents to live with their children. Instead of stuffing mom in the murky basement or a cramped secondary bedroom, we feel it’s important to provide self-contained quarters (light cooking, laundry, bath, courtyard access) . For us, it’s a resale feature. The room can also be used as a workout space, office, media room, or guest quarters without having to build an expensive separate guest house. The point is that it’s flexible depending upon who is living in the house.

Is the entry vestibule open, or is it an enclosed space, complete with ceiling and ventilation?

It’ll be enclosed on three side with a 16’ or 18’ ceiling (perhaps a groin-vault), access from the porch and through the front entry. Entry to the courtyard will be open. See inspiration photos below from two different, but similar homes (although walls will be finished without the stone veneer). It will have a chandelier. The space will not be conditioned, but I’m considering having heated floors. It’s all about the budget. As you know, everything costs.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Re the outside doors, I’m just worried that javelinas will grow thumbs and open them. Just kidding. It’s just extra doors to check at night. Especially the laundry room door. If you put something on the porch to dry . . . Although, even those five minutes are probably against HOA rules.

I‘m really enthralled. Has many of the features and then some of the home I enjoyed in Scottsdale. And you are able to include features that YOU like.

As to the heat, as I recall, just opening the south-facing door into a shaded courtyard at 4pm in Scottsdale in July was like opening the door to the oven set to 500 degrees. It’s like winter up north, you just as you say get used to it.

Can we talk about the garage entry? Do you slip off shoes when you come in? Some do, some don’t. But one often has a parcel, a purse, a water bottle or coffee mug, and a landing spot for those, even for a moment, would be nice. Perhaps the pantry could be shortened a bit and the garage door shifted left into the middle of its hall, to provide a small shelf.

Or, what about switching the pantry and the garage hall? The pantry will be only a short step from the kitchen, and really there is so much storage in the kitchen you might not be going into the pantry daily. The garage entry is closer to the rest of the house, much easier when bringing in groceries, toilet paper, etc.

In the master bath, I wonder if you would see a benefit to having both closets on one side of the space, say, to the right as you enter the bathroom, closer to the bedroom, and the fixtures on the left, backing up to the powder room? It could let you create a dressing space in between and some nice transitions, and make you not have to walk past the shower to get your walking shoes for a hike.

One last edit on this one: where will you keep the trash/recycle bins? Will they be convenient for you? You’re only there a year or two so it may not matter to you.

• PRO
    Patrick A thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@cpartist

As an example, my DH's study faces E/S/W and he has to keep his blinds drawn in the late afternoon and his room is absolutely warmer than the rest of the house.

What is DH?

Except the sunset will bring too much glare into the room which means you'll need to close your drapes and it also means it will bring too much heat into the room, which means your AC unit will have to work 2x as hard to even try to get it cooler. Which it won't.

Again, in the rear, there is a 14’ covered patio outside. On the north and east sides, the covered porch is at least 10’ deep. Although, I probably need to consider additional protection for the living room and master bedroom. The windows in those spaces will be recessed 8”. That’ll help, but I’ll explore other options. Good point. Thanks for reinforcing.

As for the pool, yes it will get warmer in LATE afternoon. However once again best orientation is south where the sun would warm the pool ALL DAY.

The pool will be fully exposed in the rear yard. Summer pool temps here are toasty all season. It’s refreshing to jump into a 90 degree pool from the 120 degree ambient temperature. Swim season closes once the temps drop below 100 degrees.

I'd also like to point out that if you don't have a prep sink on the middle island or on the perimeter between fridge and cooktop in the kitchen, then your kitchen is not very functional. Your middle island will be a barrier between the sink and the cooktop.

Additionally it appears your kitchen is nice and large. However when appliances are more than 9' from one another, it makes it more like running a marathon than cooking comfortably.

Understood. . .As the plan stands, everything inside the kitchen and baths is just a placeholder. The architect just put the islands in knowing that we need to revisit the kitchen. There will be a prep sink. We’re just not there yet. I believe that the kitchen may be too big, but my wife owns that area (I own the elevations and all else except for the kitchen). With 14’ ceilings, We’re both concerned about ventilation because we want to preserve the view and will likely use a downdraft hood and a rangetop instead of a full range.

Might you need more room in the entry from the one car garage? It looks narrow. We are only two people but we use our mudroom/friends' entry all the time and I'm glad I made ours 6' wide.

Like the other hall to the bedrooms, it’s 5’ wide. They were 6’. It was a compromise that I had to make in the interest of a greater good. . .but I will explore it for that hall, I don't want to encroach on her garage or the pantry, but perhaps I can steal a foot to widen the hall. I can see needing the extra width to get stuff into the hall from the garage.

• bpath
    3 years ago

(DH is Dear Husband. DW is Dear Wife or Dishwasher depending on context. Never both at the same time lol.)

Patrick A thanked bpath
  • ranchtastic
    3 years ago

Looking at your plan some more I think there are still a few things you can optimize. As I mentioned earlier - love the overall scheme. Resist the urge to pull it more towards some of the generic plans you see online. It's really grand. I actually think your plan has a better "flow" FWIW than the other one posted above, which for some reason puts the formal dining room between the garage and the kitchen. Kitchens should be close to the garage so its easy to unload groceries.

For the "drop zone" from the garage seems like you could just have a nice bit of furniture in the hallway there with a little tray for keys etc. Not everyone needs to have the full on mud room experience, especially in a warm climate where there aren't coats.

The kitchen is where I'd spend most of my optimization energy. You have two islands. What is the purpose of each? It seems like the one with the seating is the "entertainer's island". But you have a full sink (double sink) here meaning it'll be where the dirty dishes go. Kitchens that have their main sinks in islands always strike me as the kind of thing that's made for the interior designer/architect photograph for houzz and nothing else. Don't know about your kitchen sink but mine has an elaborate dish rack next to it that in practice always has a bunch of stuff drying in it - hardly attractive. Also when I'm doing the dishes I like to be looking outside. Seems like you have a good opportunity to put the dish sink on the wall under the window at right angles with the wall the stove is on. Then I'd put a prep sink in the middle island so you have a good "triangle" for preparation with the stove and the fridge. When you're cooking you like to make a small number of steps between locations. The nice thing about having the main sink on that adjacent wall then is as you prep/cook, when you need to discard a pan/bowl/etc. you don't have to walk around the island to do so. When I'm cooking elaborate dishes I can rapidly accumulate piles of pans. I like these to be further from the sight of my guests.

I actually don't know why this kitchen has two islands. Maybe you need the space but you have a lot of wall counter space.. so one thing to consider would be to consolidate. Then I think you get the best of all worlds.

In my kitchen I have a 12' "continent" that has a 48" range in the middle with a prep area to the right of the stove (w a sink and oversized cutting board). I find this mimics the TV show setup a bit so I can do all the prep without having to walk around. My fridge is on the perpendicular wall so getting an ingredient is never more than a pivot and a step. My main sink is on the wall behind the continent so when I'm done with a bowl or pan it's a pivot/step or a gentle toss. It also means I can watch TV or the kids for a majority of the prep/cook cycle. Not saying you can/need to do this just saying it's something that's worth spending time on because the usability of a kitchen space will be felt by you every mealtime.

A few other random notes that I don't think will be too helpful but reflect my experience (have gone through two design/build cycles, currently in a third):

For our current house we decided to eliminate the formal living space separate from the kitchen because we felt like modern homes tended to focus entertaining on the kitchen/family combo. Everyone hovers around the kitchen. We actually do have a rumpus room as well for the kids but in practice (maybe due to their age) they rarely use it unsupervised, and the net impact is our main great room always looks like a garbage dump with all their toys and (this year) school and art supplies. So in practice there's always this bit of anxiety about how our place is too much of a shambles to have people over (not a huge deal this year... but clutter is stress!) For our next place we're going for a more traditional layout of a separate formal living and dining in addition to the great room which at least gives us a place of respite. I see you have a "living" room here - it's quite secluded, perhaps it's intended as a den instead of a public room? Worth thinking through how you anticipate using the space and what curve balls you might receive (e.g. if you end up having kids and they're younger/very social they may prefer not to be isolated in a separate play space), and even if you don't have kids/kids have left home - since you mention "resale" in one of your posts worth considering how others might perceive the same.

Patrick A thanked ranchtastic
  • bpath
    3 years ago

In Bedroom 2, there really isn’t a good place for a bed, or a sofa, or however you plan to use it. If you move the door to the other end, near its bathroom, it will be easier to arrange furniture.

In the master bath, I imagine it looks nice to see the tub when you walk in, but when IN the tub, I’m not sure I want to be directly in front of the door, and open on the other sides. Feels a little, well, exposed and vulnerable. What do you think? As you say, the fixtures are just placeholders for now, I’m just giving food for thought.

Powder room. It will be used by guests, by company over. Yet, it is placed in the private area of the house. No suggestion for what to do about that, I have to think about it. But I do think it’s worth thinking about.

Another thought on exterior doors: why does Br2 get a door to the side porch, but the casita (I’m going to call it that rather than granny suite lol) does not?

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath

Re the outside doors, I’m just worried that javelinas will grow thumbs and open them. Just kidding. It’s just extra doors to check at night. Especially the laundry room door. If you put something on the porch to dry.

The porch will be hidden from the street with landscaping and trees. There are many nights when I’ve seen what appears to be wild pig families walking down the streets at night. It’s unsettling.

I‘m really enthralled. Has many of the features and then some of the home I enjoyed in Scottsdale. And you are able to include features that YOU like.

I’ve been thinking about this build for 15+ years after I visited homes located in The Bridges neighborhood (Cortile) in Rancho Santa Fe, CA and purchased fantastic coffee table books by the architects, Bassenian-Lagoni, Tuscan and Andalusian Reflections and Homes and Courtyards. . .I also listened to my real estate agent regarding what today’s buyer’s are looking for, considered my personal struggle with aging parents in wheelchairs, and my growing frustration with bad architecture in production homes that continue to cost more to purchase without delivering additional value. The goal with this home is to push the design to do more while still being wrapped in an authentic American architecture (as emphasized by the HOA).

Can we talk about the garage entry? Do you slip off shoes when you come in? Some do, some don’t. But one often has a parcel, a purse, a water bottle or coffee mug, and a landing spot for those, even for a moment, would be nice. Perhaps the pantry could be shortened a bit and the garage door shifted left into the middle of its hall, to provide a small shelf.

Or, what about switching the pantry and the garage hall? The pantry will be only a short step from the kitchen, and really there is so much storage in the kitchen you might not be going into the pantry daily. The garage entry is closer to the rest of the house, much easier when bringing in groceries, toilet paper, etc.

The house will not have any carpet. So, I may not always take off my shoes immediately, even though my wife attacks me when I don’t. I played with swapping the pantry and hall (see below)--and we just increased the pantry length 3’ to accommodate wife’s obsession with appliances and storing them---but, I like the drop zone idea and I think it can be accomplished by stealing 2’ from the pantry. I’ll bring It up. Thank you.

I also looked swapping the hall and pantry (see below) but it makes the hallway dark. I guess one solution could be to have windows in the pantry with opening in the wall to allow light to pass through. Skylights and solar tubes are forbidden. Again, we’ve been more focused on the exterior and major interior space arrangement.

BEFORE SWAP

AFTER SWAP CONCEPT

In the master bath, I wonder if you would see a benefit to having both closets on one side of the space, say, to the right as you enter the bathroom, closer to the bedroom, and the fixtures on the left, backing up to the powder room? It could let you create a dressing space in between and some nice transitions, and make you not have to walk past the shower to get your walking shoes for a hike.

I don’t want my closet anywhere near my wife’s. . .no way. That’s a recipe for me having to use a closet in another bedroom. In a perfect world we’d have separate master bathrooms separated by the master bedroom. That’ll likely happen in the final home.

With that that said, I do think we need to widen the bathroom entry from 3’ to 5’, use a standalone tub with no surround and widen the shower to have the windows inside it.

Perhaps we can pull the two exterior windows closer towards the center approx. 2’ (counter depth to gain additional closet space.

One last edit on this one: where will you keep the trash/recycle bins? Will they be convenient for you? You’re only there a year or two so it may not matter to you.

Behind the detached garages (see site plan excerpt below). They need to be hidden from view. It’s still an open discussion. It’s not optimal, but it works. I'm wide open to suggestions on it:

In Bedroom 2, there really isn’t a good place for a bed, or a sofa, or however you plan to use it. If you move the door to the other end, near its bathroom, it will be easier to arrange furniture.

By Bedroom 2, you mean the center bedroom next to the laundry, correct? Yes, that's an open discussion and I agree with you. I'd reverse the exterior door with the adjacent window and move the entry door from the hall closer to the bathroom door. and perhaps use a pocket door for the bathroom like what's done in some newer hotels.

Powder room. It will be used by guests, by company over. Yet, it is placed in the private area of the house. No suggestion for what to do about that, I have to think about it. But I do think it’s worth thinking about.

Yep, had that discussion. Could not find a place to put it that was better.

Another thought on exterior doors: why does Br2 get a door to the side porch, but the casita (I’m going to call it that rather than granny suite lol) does not?

The casita has access to the courtyard. Bed 2's porch access was a late arrival. The Design Review Committee (DRC) required us to add a gable because of concern around the south elevation's roof like looking too long. For the sake of those who may need to go through this process, here's an excerpt from the DRC's response to our initial concept submittal and shows how we ended up with a small porch and bedroom door to it on the south elevation:

This excerpt is part of a much larger document that responds to our Concept application to build a custom home in the neighborhood. The number correspond to notes on attached sheets. There are three steps in the approval process: Concept, Preliminary and Final. To say it's thorough and potentially brutal is an understatement. It takes at least two years to build here. In the end, homeowners end up with a substantially better designed home that reflects an authentic american architecture.

Here's the current response...still needs to be worked out with railing and posts that are visually stronger, but the architect and I will meet again this week to discuss:

• bpath
    3 years ago

Hmm, that’s not the kind of swap I meant. I like walking along the windowed hall to the living room! Like taking a stroll to a garden room!

I meant, bring the garage door closer to the kitchen, and the pantry closer to the living room, so the garage entry is between the kitchen and pantry. However, if your wife keeps her appliances in there, she might not find that convenient. It seems there is plenty of space for most of them in the kitchen, and food etc in the pantry, though. Probably more likely and easier to use the appliances if they are in the kitchen.

I think that garage-pantry-living room wing could use a little work to be more elegant, in the meaning of simplicity and grace.

I totally get you on the his-n-hers baths. Why not?! In fact, why not do that here? I think it would work.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Funny about the DRC. There was a thread here not long ago about a city lot, I think it was, with the same issue, couldn’t have more than 25’ of flat plane on the sides.

Curious about the laundry room door, were you really planning a 5’ dropoff? I doubt it, but what was the original plan?

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ranchtastic

Looking at your plan some more I think there are still a few things you can optimize. As I mentioned earlier - love the overall scheme. Resist the urge to pull it more towards some of the generic plans you see online.

I have no such urge

The kitchen is where I'd spend most of my optimization energy. You have two islands. What is the purpose of each? It seems like the one with the seating is the "entertainer's island". But you have a full sink (double sink) here meaning it'll be where the dirty dishes go.

Kitchen details are still being worked out. That’s wifey’s area. My only input was the North-side windows.

I actually don't know why this kitchen has two islands. Maybe you need the space but you have a lot of wall counter space.. so one thing to consider would be to consolidate. Then I think you get the best of all worlds.

Neither do I, the layout comes from an inspiration photo that I gave to the architect.

Not saying you can/need to do this just saying it's something that's worth spending time on because the usability of a kitchen space will be felt by you every mealtime.

Your points are well received and that’s the direction we’re (err…I mean my wife) headed. Kitchens sell houses.

A few other random notes that I don't think will be too helpful but reflect my experience (have gone through two design/build cycles, currently in a third):

For our current house we decided to eliminate the formal living space separate from the kitchen because we felt like modern homes tended to focus entertaining on the kitchen/family combo.

(All random notes are helpful. You're on #3...and far more an expert that I.

Regarding the formal living room, we feel the same way, which why we went with a great room concept that promotes social interaction. Formal living rooms, particularly when a home has a family room, seems like wasted space. Same think with a formal dining space. We intentionally excluded one.

I see you have a "living" room here - it's quite secluded, perhaps it's intended as a den instead of a public room?

Correct. It’s really a flex space (office, media, workout)…It’s really too small to be a proper living room.

Worth thinking through how you anticipate using the space and what curve balls you might receive (e.g. if you end up having kids and they're younger/very social they may prefer not to be isolated in a separate play space),

Please, I’m 54, no kids, don’t jinx me. <smile>

• bpath
    3 years ago

By Bedroom 2, you mean the center bedroom next to the laundry, correct? Yes, that's an open discussion and I agree with you. I'd reverse the exterior door with the adjacent window and move the entry door from the hall closer to the bathroom door.

Don’t move the exterior door, then the problem continues, although not as badly. Keeping all the doors at one end creates a single “traffic“ lane, like a virtual corridor, and leaves the rest of the room to be, a room. I think it will feel both open and cozy.

btw, I like the closet it in there, but consider pocket doors to make the opening wider, so it is easier to access the contents and when they are both open, it will feel like a dressing room. My son’s bedroom closet is like that and I’m a bit envious, it has the benefits of both a reach-in and a walk-in.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think that garage-pantry-living room wing could use a little work to be more elegant, in the meaning of simplicity and grace.

I agree, I explore this every day (really), it's a minor trouble spot for me. We all looked very hard at it. I even considered putting the "living room" over the garage with a balcony and windows to capture 360 degree views to phoenix and the surrounding mountains. It would solved some problems and created one that I hate dealing with: stairs. I will not build a 2-story home.

I totally get you on the his-n-hers baths. Why not?! In fact, why not do that here? I think it would work.

It's a practical matter, cost, space, ROI. We're not staying in this home and wanted it to have 4 bedroom and 4.5 baths to make it appeal to a family—not to make it my dream home. As it stands, we're pushed up against the building pad and now need to get a deviation because we crossed into the setback.

Our original plan was to build >4000 sq ft livable. That was so, so long ago.

• bpath
    3 years ago

The house is an interesting combination of your dream home and designing for some unknown people. You’ll be there only a short time? If I were buying a house now, and my children were still young (heck, even in high school), that side door off the bedroom would replaced with a window, and I’d be looking for a convenient place for them to drop backpacks and for me to get the jumbo pack of paper towels and ketchup into the house and into the pantry and not have any traffic pileups in the process. Definitely reconsider that garage entry.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The house is an interesting combination of your dream home and designing for some unknown people. You’ll be there only a short time?

It's really a learning exercise to help us understand what it takes to build so that we're better informed for the next.

If I were buying a house now, and my children were still young (heck, even in high school), that side door off the bedroom would replaced with a window,

As one who never had children, sometimes I miss what's important to parents. So, your feedback gives me something to think about. If the concern is that a child will escape in the night, then they could probably crawl through the window. My thought is that cameras and door alarms could be used to keep parents informed when door/windows are opened and closed.

I’d be looking for a convenient place for them to drop backpacks and for me to get the jumbo pack of paper towels and ketchup into the house and into the pantry and not have any traffic pileups in the process. Definitely reconsider that garage entry.

I went back and looked at this and will shorten the pantry by two feet so that I can widen the hall way from the garage to 6' so that I can create a small drop zone. Thanx for making me rethink this.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Oh, kids who are going to sneak out or sneak friends in will find a way. Just make it challenging for them lol.

Widening that garage hall would help the bottleneck but it is still inelegant. I know you know that, looking forward to other ideas you and the architect create.

• luscious111
    3 years ago

Very interesting project. I hope you keep posting. One thought I had was that I would like the casita to be accessible from the exterior (front/side) not just through the courtyard. Reason for that is increased privacy for you and the casita-occupier. Older kids who haven’t quite left the nest yet, grandparents who want to live somewhat independently, and possible renters/airbnbers. You never know how future owners will want to use the house so this could provide more opportunities.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@luscious111

One thought I had was that I would like the casita to be accessible from the exterior (front/side) not just through the courtyard. Reason for that is increased privacy for you and the casita-occupier.

I looked hard at the obvious an explored adding an entrance from the vestibule; however, my plan for the vestibule combined with wanting the option to use the casita as a media room, made a door to the vestibule less than desirable. I plan minor changes to the vestibule. I'll give it a second look.

Very interesting project. I hope you keep posting.

I plan to continue to post project progress. It seems as if I'll never get through design review given the vast number of choices that I need to make (stone, brick, grout texture, lighting, paint within a certain LRV range, windows, doors, hardware, roof tile, plants, trees, cabinets, pavers). All of the exterior decisions need to be captured for the next submittal whichget submitted with my $4500 design review fee.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath

Widening that garage hall would help the bottleneck but it is still inelegant. I know you know that, looking forward to other ideas you and the architect create.

I went back and looked at this and can't see another solution that won't disrupt other areas. Here's what I came up with:

1. Shorten pantry by 2' to create a 2' x 6.5' recessed area in the hall, where I can create a small drop zone with a storage bench and perhaps coat hooks, mirror etc.

2. Moved the door to the garage side of the hall.

After thinking about this, I remembered why I placed the "living room" where it is. I wanted the space to be able to capture views out to the yard and to west without being blocked by the single garage.

• bpath
    3 years ago

That’s nice. And enhances the open feeling of an outdoor stroll as you walk toward the windowed hall. Have you tried shifting the pantry down toward the living room, and the garage entry toward the kitchen? Or would that put the pantry door too far away?

Oh, here’s an additional thought. Would adding high windows to the pantry, to ”borrow” light from the hall, be harmful to anything stored in the pantry? It would make the pantry more pleasant, more like a room, and be interesting in the hall as well.

• roccouple
    3 years ago

i dont know much about Arizona but I worry that you have to go outdoors to reach the office or entry vestibule area. if you forget something in the office at the end of the day do you have to go out into bad weather, or put on a coat, to get it? If it’s late at night would You have to get dressed? I would want the interior spaces to all connect to avoid going outside.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

bpath

Oh, here’s an additional thought. Would adding high windows to the pantry, to ”borrow” light from the hall, be harmful to anything stored in the pantry? It would make the pantry more pleasant, more like a room, and be interesting in the hall as well.

I thought about that, except no with windows, but simply use openings high in the wall (and perhaps floor level too). I've added it to the the list.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

"Will likely stay for a year or so, sell, and move on to the next project until we can build a retirement home.

We're not staying in this home and wanted it to have 4 bedroom and 4.5 baths to make it appeal to a family—not to make it my dream home.

It's really a learning exercise to help us understand what it takes to build so that we're better informed for the next."

I'm struggling to understand why you are building this house...

- You only plan to live in the house for ONE YEAR?

- The primary goal is build a house that appeals to some unknown future buyer, with a completely different household makeup, rather than building YOUR dream home?

- You're doing this simply as a "learning exercise"?

None of those sound like good reasons to build a big custom home.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@roccouple

i dont know much about Arizona but I worry that you have to go outdoors to reach the office or entry vestibule area. if you forget something in the office at the end of the day do you have to go out into bad weather, or put on a coat, to get it? If it’s late at night would You have to get dressed? I would want the interior spaces to all connect to avoid going outside.

Bad weather? Ha! If you’re still dealing with that then you need to move.<smile>

Seriously, the separation was intentional to create a work space distinct from the main house and it was required to create the side entry. I understand how some could see the separate office as a drawback, but the goal is to make a transition from the inside spaces to the outside spaces seamless. The courtyard will be parklike with trees, flowers, etc. The goal as I’ve said is to create a good feeling through light, delight, openness. Having to go outside to walk 30’ from the kitchen to the office for me would be a treat. I guess that I (or the next owner) could use radiant heat for the exterior walkways—wouldn’t that be decadent?—Besides, that office (or bedroom) will have some of the best views from the house.

Alternatively, you could use the “living room” spaces as an office.

you have to go out into bad weather

This is Arizona + the walkway is under roof

You have to get dressed

Not really. My wife has seen me naked.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath

Have you tried shifting the pantry down toward the living room, and the garage entry toward the kitchen? Or would that put the pantry door too far away?

Here’s a concept that I think conveys what you’re trying to say. It changes the flow and avoids the need for a drop zone, and allows me to keep the larger pantry...but now I have an awkward space where the hallway door used to be.

• anitastadler
    3 years ago

I've been intrigued as I've read through this thread so far. Your purpose is clearer now; this endeavor is a business venture as well as a learning opportunity. I'm not a professional builder or architect but will share my thoughts from a business perspective and as someone going through the design process for our retirement home. I applaud your willingness to learn through experience so that you can create your dream in the future. You have probably thought these things through already, but if not, here are some things that come to mind for me.

Not knowing the eventual buyer obviously introduces an element of risk, which most speculative builders would mitigate by creating a rather generic design that would appeal to a wider audience. As you have noticed, those designs are typically not very inspiring because any bold choice could turn off a potential buyer.

It sounds you want to create something amazing that will be appreciated by the right buyer. Defining the right buyer will be your key, because building custom costs more per square foot than production building. To avoid being "upside down" at the end of construction (worth less on the market than your costs), you will have to target a buyer who is willing to (and has the income to) afford the added value of your amazing design because that is what will differentiate this home and enable you to get a price above your costs. For the right buyer, your design will resonate as "perfect" for them, but fall flat for others. That's okay as long as you can find that great fit

Is the neighborhood a fit for the "second home" market? It seems that your location is ideal for those with the funds to support two homes. A real estate agent could enlighten you on the mindset of that type of buyer and guide you toward material choices that will enable the financial return you want to achieve through this project so that you can build your future dream home. (I'm not a real estate agent either!) All the best to you! You are courageous and willing to take a risk that most others aren't.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@anitastadler

I've been intrigued as I've read through this thread so far. Your purpose is clearer now; this endeavor is a business venture as well as a learning opportunity.

You are correct, but it also gives me something to do, and we just may need to live in it if it doesn’t sell. So, we’re building something in which we could live well and enjoy regardless of what happens. I’m a regular Joe and just want to build an interesting home.

It sounds you want to create something amazing that will be appreciated by the right buyer. Defining the right buyer will be your key, because building custom costs more per square foot than production building. To avoid being "upside down" at the end of construction (worth less on the market than your costs), you will have to target a buyer who is willing to (and has the income to) afford the added value of your amazing design because that is what will differentiate this home and enable you to get a price above your costs. For the right buyer, your design will resonate as "perfect" for them, but fall flat for others. That's okay as long as you can find that great fit.

You’re reading my mind. I’m sure that you’re psychic, no? My builder and I have talked about this, and he is committed to helping me control cost and make money for the next build (which he’ll also do).

Is the neighborhood a fit for the "second home" market? It seems that your location is ideal for those with the funds to support two homes.

Yes, there are many second homeowners here (I was one until we sold our primary home this past Spring). It is a premium lifestyle neighborhood (golf, clubs) with a heavy emphasis on social interaction (e.g. most home have front porches, parks every two to three block) and it’s a top 10 growth city. The custom home resale market ranges from $1.3M to the low $4Ms and I expect to be closer to the lower number! The community is desirable, but some may see it as a difficult place to build a custom home because of the stringent design review process. It takes at least 2 years, you can’t necessarily build want you want (e.g., I had to have a wrap around front porch), and landscaping choices are driven based upon where a lot is located within the community. So, having a custom home without the hassle and time investment is attractive to buyers who don’t want to wait.

The architectural standards are high across the neighborhood (even for production homes). We actually moved here from a San Diego community developed by the same developer (dmbinc.com) to be in this community.

So, we’ll see.

A real estate agent could enlighten you on the mindset of that type of buyer and guide you toward material choices that will enable the financial return you want to achieve through this project so that you can build your future dream home. (I'm not a real estate agent either!) All the best to you! You are courageous and willing to take a risk that most others aren't.

I understand why some folks ask question like why build such a big house if you’re not going to live there, or suggest that I do something more practical or ordinary. My aunt tells me that I should never sold my last house. She says, it was beautiful, but I never liked it because the front was dominated by the three-car garage. I did everything to make it better, Wolf/Subzero Kitchen, stone floors throughout, outdoor fireplace flagstone front forecourt, 10 olive trees, new windows)…it was a nice house, but I still hated it. Here’s a photo (I know those shrubs needed to be cut):

Here's the inspiration photo for what I'm trying to build (except I'm doing a single story):

Again I’m just a Regular Joe working a regular job with a few big ideas that I want to realize before I punch out. I’ve done my time in Regular Architecture Hell and now want something different. Life is short.

Thank you for your comments. I understand how long some responses take to type. So, I appreciate the dialog and input.

• just_janni
    3 years ago

some feedback- random

the granny suite should possibly incorporate universal design and a more accessible bathroom. I also wonder if it wouldn't have been really cool to have had that accessible or nearer to the single car garage - having that be almost self contained might be really nice for long term inlaws or anyone with any mobility issues but who are still somewhat independent (or - a college aged child coming back home, etc).

Your master bedroom looks small comparing this to the other bedrooms and with the master bath. A house of this size might be expected to have a sitting room / area or some other larger size master bedroom. (I don't want a sitting area in my master bedroom - but there are folks who do!)

I think it's going to be a challenge to do all of these things "well"- granny suite, the sense of separation for the office, architecturally significant, a haven in the courtyard, etc. and appeal to a decently broad audience as well. There's a ton of decisions to be made here based on the complexity of the plan - buckle up! :) it's going to take all your energy.

Good luck.

• anitastadler
    3 years ago

I'm glad to have been able to hear your intentions and aspirations in between the earlier back-and-forth dialogue. (It's literally my job to listen well. I've been a corporate executive coach for almost 20 years.) I also love architecture and spent an earlier part of my career in facilities operations. In my private coaching practice, I use principles from environmental psychology (the science of place) to help people think through what will make their next home ideal. In my opinion, there's no point spending time and money building a house that won't enhance your life!

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Ooooh, an atrium/courtyard house! <3

I wish more people built these kinds of homes, because then I'd have more options. :-D The biggest hurdle that I, personally, have with this particular plan is the arrangement of rooms (I prefer shared spaces in front, bedrooms in back), but I acknowledge that I am totally odd, with my 7 special need kidlets. If you were building this house, to later sell to my kind of family, you'd be living in that house forever, lol.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@just_janni

the granny suite should possibly incorporate universal design and a more accessible bathroom.

That’s been on my mind. I thought about a pocket door, removing the tub and doing a zero-entry shower. It’ll help, but to be perfect, I’d need more space or a new arrangement.

I also wonder if it wouldn't have been really cool to have had that accessible or nearer to the single car garage - having that be almost self-contained might be really nice for long term inlaws or anyone with any mobility issues but who are still somewhat independent (or - a college aged child coming back home, etc).

I want the Casita to have direct access to the courtyard and not necessarily have who’d ever stay there have to go through the house to get to their space. The Casita upfront is self-contained. My wife wanted to close it off to the hall, but I fought that battle and won.

Your master bedroom looks small comparing this to the other bedrooms and with the master bath. A house of this size might be expected to have a sitting room / area or some other larger size master bedroom. (I don’t want a sitting area in my master bedroom – but there are folks who do!)

It is a little smaller than I like, but I think in the context of the entire Master Suite, with a hall, it’ll do. I only sleep and bathe there. However, your comment made me take a second look. Perhaps I can add French doors off the master or a small porch-6’ deep to provide shade protection)…Although, I love the look of having windows that are recessed 12” .

The goal is not to create a grand home (this is supposed to be a Mediterranean Farmhouse, sort of) with seldom-used spaces (dining room, living room), I want spaces that can be flexible based particular needs depending upon where the owner’s time of life. For example, the office can be a bedroom, the casita can be a media room, the living room can be a second office or workout room. Flexibility is key. Also, if you look at the site plan, I’ve pushed up against the setback on three of the four corners. I’m out of space.

I think it's going to be a challenge to do all of these things "well"- granny suite, the sense of separation for the office, architecturally significant, a haven in the courtyard, etc. and appeal to a decently broad audience as well. There's a ton of decisions to be made here based on the complexity of the plan - buckle up! :) it's going to take all your energy.

It is challenging in the best way and I’m sure it will continue to consume me. I’ve been working on this in my mind for 15 years. Wifey really isn’t interested until the interior decisions need to be made. So, I’ve been mostly solo in terms of what this building will look like.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath

Funny about the DRC. There was a thread here not long ago about a city lot, I think it was, with the same issue, couldn’t have more than 25’ of flat plane on the sides.

I have a 40' setback on one side, 25' on all others.

Curious about the laundry room door, were you really planning a 5’ dropoff? I doubt it, but what was the original plan?

That note was actually from the DRC to the architect. I removed the harsh comment from the DRC on that excerpt directed to him. No, the intent was not to have a 5' drop. The architect was supposed to include the lot's topography on the concept submittal to the DRC. The laundry room door opened over a wash and 100-year flood zone that runs the property line which he would have seen had he included the topo. He forgot and was flogged (unnecessarily) throughout the document by the DRC for the oversight and threatened with a $750 fine for an incomplete submittal.

The DRC's response is a really good read and worth the $4500 that I'll be charged because he (The DRC is one person) covers everything, the good, bad and ugly to ensure homes meet the requirements and ultimately represent better design.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

If it sells before I move in (which it likely will)...

I work from home about a 1/2 mile from my empty lot. I'm bored...

I will make money too. I'm sorry that you feel that making money doing something that I enjoy isn't a good enough reason for you...

The fact that you hope/plan to never occupy the house, and intend to sell for a profit immediately after construction, are critical pieces of information missing from your original post.

You primarily view this as a money-making business venture, with the secondary goals of fulfilling an interest/passion and relieving boredom. Is that correct?

I can't afford my dream home …. I need to save my pennies and drive my 10 year old Honda.

My builder and I have talked about this, and he is committed to helping me control cost and make money for the next build (which he’ll also do).

Flipping fully custom $1MM+ new-build homes as a "regular joe" is a tough business model, as many such homes are worth less than the cost to build. (Though his may not be true for your market and the impact of COVID).

Since your intent is to sell the house for a profit, then costs should be a primary consideration during every aspect of this process.

I assume you've run the numbers and sought expert advice to understand what your break-even number is. That should 'drive the bus' with respect to design/construction/materials/ect.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

A real estate agent could enlighten you on the mindset of that type of buyer and guide you toward material choices that will enable the financial return you want to achieve through this project.

This is the single most important piece of feedback provided thus far.

With Patrick A's newly uncovered desires for this build, every decision should be guided by how to achieve a financial return on the investment.

You've mentioned that you are a "regular joe" with a "regular job" and "cant afford my dream home" and intend to use this as a way to "make money for the next build."

So you are presumably not in a position to lose money on this venture, correct?

What is a good reason to build a "big custom home" other than the sheer joy of it and being able to exchange ideas with all of the nice, like-minded people/professionals who enjoy architecture?

If you were financially independent (with hundreds of thousands in play money) and not relying on this venture to turn a profit, then this wold be a perfectly fine reason to build a big custom home.

But if I'm understanding your position correctly, this sounds like a really bad reason to build a big custom home.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@booty bums

This is the single most important piece of feedback provided thus far.

With Patrick A's newly uncovered desires for this build, every decision should be guided by how to achieve a financial return on the investment.

What a way to start the morning. I smiled when I saw your post because I knew that you would show me the error of my ways.

I’m not sure how to respond to your latest less than constructive comments (attack) about what I choose to do with my money and time. You seem sour over my last response to your previous post; however, in the interest of dialog, I will try.

You’re assuming that my sole motivation is financial gain. It’s not. Part of my motivation is for the pure joy of it. Based on the market today (which could change), I would realize a gain based on price/sq ft to build vs sales price/sq ft to build. The difference is significant. The market could change. Even so, I need to live somewhere. Of course there’s risk and I believe that taking risks makes life a little more exciting for those of us who are willing to face it instead of being one of those folks who look down their nose at those at it.

I’ve scraped and saved goo-gobs of money for 15 years to have this experience and you seem to want to beat me up for sacrificing to realize my view of happiness. You’re suggesting that I should dream smaller because my plan is too risky for you. (By the way, I’ve not seen your investment payment in my mailbox, is your check to me in the mail?)

The fact that you hope/plan to never occupy the house, and intend to sell for a profit immediately after construction, are critical pieces of information missing from your original post. You primarily view this as a money-making business venture, with the secondary goals of fulfilling an interest/passion and relieving boredom. Is that correct?

Well, first, I can't plan not to ever live there, because the home could take some time to sell. What's important is to be prepared for that possibility. With luck it'll be sold before it's done, but if it takes a year or two, then that's cool too (the lot some pretty good views to enjoy). Everything I do regarding real estate is a money-making venture.

You've mentioned that you are a "regular joe" with a "regular job" and "cant afford my dream home" and intend to use this as a way to "make money for the next build."

This is true. I’m not even a boss.

So you are presumably not in a position to lose money on this venture, correct?

That’s a stupid question. I don’t know anyone who is in a position to take a six-figure loss. Are you? I will say that I am in a position to complete the build and live in the home. Besides, sellers only lose when they sell. Why would I sell at a loss, would you? My biggest concern is that I won’t want to sell. That’s a side effect of building a home that you love.

But if I'm understanding your position correctly, this sounds like a really bad reason to build a big custom home.

Again, I’m sorry that my motivation does not meet your standards. Your input will be incorporated in to my plan once I receive your investment check; otherwise, it will be filed appropriately.

Thank you for your critical input and have a Happy New Year with happy thoughts. You seem angry.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

Patrick A -

Not sure why you're reacting so negatively to my input.

I'm not "sour", or "looking down my nose", or "beating you up", or "suggesting you dream smaller", or assuming your "sole motivation" is money.

In fact, I summarized the three motivations I gathered from your posts (#1-Money, #2-Fulfilling an interest/passion, #3-Relieving boredom). Importantly, your motivation is NOT about building a home designed for you, that you intend to live in long-term.

I'm only pointing out that the design/build process should be guided by your primary motivation (which is the advice anitastadler is also giving).

You state that you "don’t know anyone who is in a position to take a six-figure loss" and "Why would I sell at a loss, would you?"

I would argue that most people building a $1.5MM+ home are in a position to take such a loss.

There are thousands of people every day who sell houses at a loss, for a wide variety of reasons.

Fortunately for you, it sounds like you are OK with selling your current home and living in this new build for as long as it takes (with all associated transaction/carrying costs), until you can make a profit.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@booty bum

Ok, ny negative reaction was based on your comment that spending my money in a manner that I want to spend it was not a good enough reason for me to build a "big custom home." The fact of the matter is that my motivations are irrelevant to the original discussion. You came across to me as a busy-body trying to tell me what I shouldn't build with zero sense of my knowledge and experience in my local real estate market or my finances. So, that's why.

@stukintx

Why would anyone want to help you if you are a jerk about it?

My original question was about getting input on my floor plan. I'm open to constructive criticism (and have respectfully responded to all), but I get ruffled when someone tells me the my reasons for building "a big custom home" with my money are not good enough.Comments like that diminish the discussion and you perpetuate it by name calling.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

My negative reaction was based on your comment that spending my money in a manner that I want to spend it was not a good enough reason for me to build a "big custom home."

I would suggest going back and re-reading my comments, as I never said any such thing.

The fact of the matter is that my motivations are irrelevant to the original discussion.

This is unquestionably wrong if your intentions were to receive relevant, meaningful feedback.

The feedback/discussion would have absolutely been much different if you had revealed your motivations in the opening post…

- I don’t plan to spend a single night in this house, as I hope to sell it before moving in.

- A primary goal for this build is to “flip” the house for a quick profit.

- The house is designed to appeal to a family, not for my own living situation.

That information would have been FAR more relevant than…

- Telling us that you, your wife and cat will be living there.

- That you don’t want a closet anywhere near your wife’s

- That you don’t intend to take your shoes off when entering the house.

• ranchtastic
    3 years ago

We put features and design work into our current house that we knew added a fraction to the value of the home as they cost, knowing that they'd enhance our enjoyment. We'll be moving on in a year or so when we get done with our next place - and I expect it'll be a struggle to more than break even on this place. At the same time, I did gain a lot of experience through the process for what things we like and what we don't.

By contrast, a spec builder will never add more to a house than they know they need to get the price they want from their target buyer. In some markets this means there will be more "delightful" features and details - because that market demands it (e.g. wine caves, theatres and pool houses are common in spec builds in Atherton, California). But this is pretty unusual.

You can thread the needle here a bit but only if you have a good support team that offers transparency. I don't know how detail-oriented you are, but I am pretty obsessive about it, and have generally found that most people aren't. Most builders/designers are calibrated to the broad middle. Through working on projects like this I came to the realization that no one would care about my project as much as I did, and because it was a passion for me I'd devote hours of my own time to finessing things I'd have to pay $$$ for others to do, and still maybe not get something I liked.

Spend time on Houzz looking at pictures and decompose the aesthetics. I see so many questions posted on photos on this site asking who the manufacturer of a cabinet is, when (obviously) it's custom work not some mass produced slab. And custom work that's the result of various processes/techniques brought together skillfully, sometimes in non-obvious ways. If this is a passion for you, spend time learning about these details, which will help you find the right tradespeople and get better transparency in cost.

• Patrick A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ranchtastic

We put features and design work into our current house that we knew added a fraction to the value of the home as they cost, knowing that they'd enhance our enjoyment. We'll be moving on in a year or so when we get done with our next place - and I expect it'll be a struggle to more than break even on this place. At the same time, I did gain a lot of experience through the process for what things we like and what we don't.

We plan to do the same understanding that some features may not provide a return. The builder assures us that we’ll be happy with the finish levels available with the standard allowances. There are things that I could’ve done to lower the costs like lower the 16’ ceilings in the great room and casita or have all garages attached, but I feel that those features were important to create proper street presence from the outside and sense of volume and depth on the inside.

Once this design is complete and construction starts, I’ll start the design on the next project for which we’ve already purchased the lot which is larger, wider, not as deep, and with its own set of restrictions. Whenever the first home sells, I want to be through design review and permitting on the second so that I can immediately pull the construction trigger. It seems like it takes a year to get through design review in this community.

By contrast, a spec builder will never add more to a house than they know they need to get the price they want from their target buyer. In some markets this means there will be more "delightful" features and details - because that market demands it (e.g. wine caves, theatres and pool houses are common in spec builds in Atherton, California). But this is pretty unusual.

You can thread the needle here a bit but only if you have a good support team that offers transparency.

The builder charges a fixed fee and does not mark-up anything. He explains that I will pay what he pays and that he’s 100% transparent on all pricing that he receives.

I don't know how detail-oriented you are, but I am pretty obsessive about it, and have generally found that most people aren't.

I’ve explained to my builder and the designer that I want, where appropriate, the be involved in every decision and, yes, I’m obsessive about detail and I want to know where money is being spent.

Most builders/designers are calibrated to the broad middle. Through working on projects like this I came to the realization that no one would care about my project as much as I did,

I’ve learned that lesson the hard way on my last house.

and because it was a passion for me I'd devote hours of my own time to finessing things I'd have to pay $$$ for others to do, and still maybe not get something I liked.

• QUESTION: Would you provide examples of tasks that you’d handle that you’d otherwise need to pay others to do?

Spend time on Houzz looking at pictures and decompose the aesthetics. I see so many questions posted on photos on this site asking who the manufacturer of a cabinet is, when (obviously) it's custom work not some mass-produced slab. And custom work that's the result of various processes/techniques brought together skillfully, sometimes in non-obvious ways. If this is a passion for you, spend time learning about these details, which will help you find the right tradespeople and get better transparency in cost.

I’ve started to do this and look at spaces that feel good but are hard to understand why they feel that. So, I look at each element, flooring, trim, cabinets, color, texture, etc. Covid has give me the time to focus on this project.

• ranchtastic
    3 years ago

Answering your question... a variety of things.

I design all my own cabinets. I'm working from an initial layout the architect offered, but I imagine myself in the kitchen doing various tasks, and what I'd like to have at hand when I do them, and what I'm OK going further afield to reach. Then design the cabinets to support that. The architect told me he could design cabinets for me but noted people often get a KD for that and was happy enough not to have to do this.

I apply the same approach to the floor plan/layout. In practice we're doing a gut-remodel not a clean sheet so there are some constraints but there are things I'll spend time thinking about, e.g. placing a door in one location to control sound propagation and more completely seal off the "formal" areas of our house from the family areas. Changing the layout of the fixtures in our powder room to better support the design direction we're taking. etc. These are all things the architect could have come up with, but since there's an existing plan we never complained about, it was easier for me to just come up with it than to express the problem to him and have him take stabs at solutions it. When I bring the things I come up with to the architect I don't pretend like I know the answer - he has better mastery of the overall plan/laws/etc than I do, but bring them like an idea I have. Sometimes he likes them and adds them to the plan. Sometimes he reminds me there is some rule/structural constraint/etc. Sometimes he'll have another idea that's even better. A bit of humility is important to a good collaboration :-)

Supporting all this activity on my part is a license to Sketchup Pro and a complete set of dimensioned plans (both of the original house and our proposed changes). I have models of the whole house interior, all the cabinets, etc. I'm constantly tweaking them. I did this for our current place and I have never felt more satisfied with a house. It's really incredible.

In addition to this I'm also beginning to dive into the systems plans and think about how we'll use the electrical stuff (going to be installing a Lutron Homeworks system), A/V, HVAC and security. For A/V, there are companies that will do all this for you for incredible amounts of money... I was quoted $150k for our current house in the bay area. I work in tech so I understand that I'll be delivered a configured software solution that will have limitations that I resent - and that any changes will be endless service calls on top of that $150k, and eventual defeat. So I decided not to play. I had the electricians install the wiring, and spec'ed everything myself, including designing my own automation and control software. So much of this is possible if you have the time and interest. You will make mistakes but you will never feel like you got screwed out of money and you can always learn more and fix them.