SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wthorpek

Help me figure out how to incorporate our reclaimed doors/windows!

Whitney Marlow
3 years ago

My husband and I would love to incorporate the original interior doors and windows from his great grandmother's home into our new home. We think they are beautiful, with all coordinating original hardware (including the original skeleton keys). We have a combination of solid doors and doors with inset glass. We are still working with our architect on the home plans, and I would love some ideas on troubleshooting how to make the doors fit our plans, or vice versa. The old home's original front door was flanked by coordinating windows (photo below), and while there are a few places I think the center door could work, I can't think of any clever ways to incorporate the windows into our home. I would love to hear your ideas! For reference, the windows are each 40" wide x 58" high.

Also, the matching interior doors are all 7 foot doors. We were planning on 10 foot ceilings, so our architect had planned 8 foot doors at this point. Would it look strange to have 7 foot doors with 10 foot ceilings? Do you think we are better off lowering the ceilings to 9 feet? Or would you have the added expense of putting transom windows above the doors? I am hopeful that we will be able to incorporate this piece of his family's history into our future family home!

Comments (5)