SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

Review of "Home Chef" meal kits

sushipup1
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We've only tried one week, but we like what we had. We are both pretty good cooks and we like cooking, too, but have gotten into a real rut. We get take out once of twice a week from favorite places, but then it's a real rut. So we decided to try a meal kit service.

Price: Most meals are 8.99/serving. Minimum is two meals/two servings once a week. You can easily skip a week or more. There is a shipping charge for the 2+2 minimum, free shipping with larger orders. I haven't trued the oven-ready meals yet, but most of it is not suitable for freezing. So that's about $50/week for two meals for the two of us.

Variety: Really nice. Maybe 15-20 choices each week, with two automatic unless you change it. You can change up proteins on many dishes. Make your choices by early Friday of the the next week's mid-week delivery. You can order organic or vegetarian easily, tho I haven't seen those menus.

We tried shrimp with cheesy grits and a chicken breast with scallion sauce and roasts rooy vegetables. Kits include everything except S&P, olive oil and water. The servings are nice sized. For a big eater, you may need to order more. No leftovers. I liked that I didn't have to buy a whole package of grits or a whole bag of carrots (can't seem to buy single carrots here the way I could in CA). A tablespoon if tomato paste, 3 oz cream, some shredded cheese. All included. It would have cost me more to buy all the whole packages of ingredients that I don't commonly use. (Which is probably why we are in a rut.)

Instructions are great. A large sheet, 3-hole punched, complete with pictures. Notes like "Ingredients used more than once". Three scallions looked a little tired, but they look that way at the local store, too. The proteins were very high quality.

Packaging" all in a 15" sq box with cold pack. Not terrible waste, but yes, there is wasteful packaging. Things like tomato paste or roasted red peppers in little plastic cups. Each meal ingredients in a large ziplok bag, except proteins, which are separate,

We're looking forward to out next selections tomorrow.

Comments (11)