SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twobelles

Bluestar electric wall oven reviews, please

TwoBelles
8 years ago

Ok, BS wall oven owners....how do you like your electric ovens after you've had them for a while? Would you buy again? pros/cons.....thanks!

Comments (37)

• wekick
    8 years ago

There are some other posts from people who own this oven and in general they seem to like them so maybe they will see this and update their experiences.

While you are waiting to hear, It would be good to read the use and care manual and you will learn a lot about the way it is supposed to function and its features.

It does have many modes to direct the heat and the temperature can be set within the various modes from 80-500F with and without the fan which is a god range. It has a broiler temp of 550F but the heat would all come from the top. Their literature barely mentions it but they do have a third element by the convection fan. It does not have a pure convection mode but not sure that would matter. That tends to push heat from that element in the back and is intense and in my opinion and experience with a couple other brands it kind of sets up hot spots which is the opposite of what it should in theory do. The third element is most likely integrated into the other modes, at least the pre heat. They call it heat assist instead of true or euro convection.

One point I remember from one of the reviews was that it has the little quirk that after it preheats, you have to push start when you put the food in to keep it heating otherwise it shuts off.

It does have a strong preheat so the instructions say that you cannot put food in until it is preheated. There is no delay bake that I can see.

The fan is one speed. Some electric ovens have a slower speed for baking and higher for roasting and dehydration. It still has separate modes for baking and roasting. On most ovens this means more heat from the bottom for baking and more from the top for roasting. It has a single convection fan. Some have dual fans or tower fans but this might be more significant in a wider oven. This is where it would be good to hear from someone who has made cookies or something that would test eveness.

BlueStar Electric Oven

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    8 years ago

Our wall oven just a couple of weeks old. The first test in the oven was cookies. The cookies in the picture were baked on a full size sheet pan. The pizza was cooked on the dedicated baking stone. Cookies and Pizza

• Related Discussions

Bluestar 48 or BS 36 and an electric wall oven?

Q

Comments (1)
    The new v1 series Bluestar has eliminated the clicking noise with a direct ignition system, reduced the door temp with a heat baffle, eliminates the convection fan noise changed the slide out drip pan it now is on roller bearings and added individual trays removable trays for ease of cleaning, the top plates and grates now have a new easy clean finish as well as better fit and finish
    ...See More

BlueStar Electric Wall Oven

Q

Comments (19)
    Okay, I didn't open the wrapper with the shelves in it, so that piece is no doubt there (The living room is full of boxes with all the kitchen stuff in it, so I'm avoiding opening anything that isn't required). My bad on that. Your heating elements seem to fit in the slots. Mine won't go there without bending.
    ...See More

BlueStar electric wall oven question???

Q

Comments (3)
    So, I did a brief internet search and came up with this from Honeywell Cable's website. "Are manufacturers required to use UL for their compliance testing? No. In fact, this misconception has misled many to believe that they don’t have a choice in third-party testing partners. The only major requirement is that the laboratory performing the testing is an OSHA-recognized NRTL. The ETL Listed Mark serves as an indicator of compliance with applicable product safety standards." Also, this from Intertek's website. Intertek is the lab that issues the ETL mark. Do local inspectors know the ETL Listed Mark? Yes. Inspectors and the Authorities Having Jurisdiction recognize and accept the ETL Mark as proof of product compliance throughout North America and in some areas of South America. Here's a link to Intertek's website. Intertek Labs HTH
    ...See More

Can you check your bluestar electric single wall oven Model # please?

Q

Comments (5)
    BSEWO30ECSD is the model number. I find it quiet. 1. It's noisier than the Miele dishwasher. 2. It's quieter than the microwave. 3. I believe the way it's installed will make a difference. Mine is surrounded by plywood, and there is a large space behind the oven. If it's installed in flimsy cabinets, a vibration could be set up that would amplify the sound. 4. Mine was installed mid-February, so it's a new model. It was purchased in November and shipped December 2016. 5. Some people are more sensitive to sound than others, but there is absolutely no problem with having a conversation with normal voices. And I'm pretty sure some people will complain if the can hear it at all (think the princess and the pea).
    ...See More
  • ddfx
    8 years ago

I just got a new 6-burner BlueStar range top (which I love) and wall oven
    (30" electric with french doors)... which I would like to love but from
    the moment you turn it on there is a very noisy blower which stays on
    (separate from the convection fan: tek support guy says this fan is to
    cool the cabinet and the electronics) and stays on until the unit is
    cool (about an hour after use).

The oven is in a new construction 3-shipping container project and
    the kitchen is in one end of a container and the dining room is the
    other end. The oven can't stay as is and BlueStar tek support doesn't
    recommend using fire retardant acoustic foam (which is anyhow toxic)
    even outside of the encasing 1/2" plywood cabinet.

Looking for experiences by others and for suggestions for hi-end ovens that do not have noise issues. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    VIA Artisan
    8 years ago

Yes it's loud but it is a heavy duty piece of kitchen equipment. I've used it to roast, make cookies bake and it does it all well! I just moved from an older home to a newer home and are remodeling the kitchen. We replaced a GE profile double oven with two of these. As someone mentioned previously, do look at the specs for your cutout(s), we had to modify our cabinet quite a bit to fit two of these.

• jen
    4 years ago

Now that it's been a few years, are you still loving your BS wall ovens? It's one of the ovens I am considering.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've had mine for three years now and it's been just fine. The bit about "you can't put food in until preheated". Isn't strictly true, If you are just warming something up at low temperature, it works fine. And there is no preheat time for the broiler. Most recipes call for preheating the oven anyway, so it's a non-issue in my opinion.

I don't find it loud at all. It's noisier than the dishwasher (Miele), but quieter than the washer or dryer. No issues with a normal conversation when running or cooling. Actually I like the cooling cycle because when the cooling cycle is done, the bread is ready for the freezer.

• Chris Col
    4 years ago

Thx for the input on the Bluestar oven. didn't consider them before. are these $5K a piece? definitely high for my budget. on the lower end, do you have any recommendations, - bosch vs kitchenaid vs. any others?

• Jerry Jorgenson
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Chris Col - Sorry, no I don't. the Bluestar wall oven was the only one that could take a full size baking sheet, so I didn't look at the others. Looks like the MSRP went up over the past three years. However, I believe dealers may sell for less.

• jen
    4 years ago

Chris - I got a quote earlier this month from Bluestar for the 30" electric wall oven drop down door and French door option. Drop down was quoted at $4,695 and French door at $5,295. I've been looking at the Bosch Benchmark which some users have reported liking.

• Marcy C
    4 years ago

We just moved into a new home and I selected this oven. The oven is way too loud for an open floor plan. I used the oven to bake bread and it was fine. I used the three racks to bake cookies (convection) and was not satisfied - I expected better heat distribution.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    4 years ago

I haven't had a problem with baking three racks of cookies using full size baking sheets..

• Marcy C
    3 years ago

TWO ovens in 10 months. Both defective. Oven issues include broken hinges, defective fan, and defective electronics. BS knew of at least one of the defects when the units were delivered. The company is not responsive to requests for service. The most concerning defect is that when I turn on the second oven, the entire unit stops working! In my opinion, the product is a piece of junk.

• keluban
    3 years ago

Bought and installed a Blue Star Double oven 12/2019. Did not move into house until 3/2020. Oven never worked. Kept replacing the mother boards. Finally citing "lemon laws" we got it replaced. We have replaced the mother board twice on new one. Now, I am having the same issue as Marcy Cohn, another reviewer. Only one oven works. If you turn on the second oven, the whole thing shorts out. Of course we are now out of warranty. The ovens are the WORST I have ever owned: I can't stress this enough. I live in the South, where it is too hot to even contemplate using the oven very often!

Nothing bakes evenly in the only one that works. It takes an unreasonably long time to preheat (45 minutes), and the fan ROARS continually until it has cooled down (another 30-40 minutes). Once it has preheated, it beeps until you set a timer (even though it is not up to temp!). You have to turn the entire thing on, including fan, to set the clock. This is important when the thing keeps shorting out every time you try and turn it on.

The lack of warranty coupled with lack of service response should make anyone RUN for the hills before they decide to purchase one of these!!!

• gulfsounds
    3 years ago

After extensive research, we are buying BS french door single wall oven. Considered Viking also. However MANY people had multiple problems with Viking. Ordering today. Expecting the best oven I’ve had.

• TwoBelles
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would encourage you to read through the more recent posts. HTH!

• Rosaria
    3 years ago

Are there any new updates? Seems like folks have had issues with these in the last year. If anyone has one that was bought recently please update us!!!

• histprof1066
    3 years ago

I'm interested too! Would love to have a French door wall oven, and looking for a double wall oven.

• keluban
    3 years ago

Update: DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED!!! I have now owned the Blue Star double gas wall oven for 13 months. It is a very expensive chunk of landfill. In the past year we have replaced the entire unit twice, the motherboard three times and it still doesn't work. I live in a warm climate and we don't even use it that often!! Most recent experience was Easter. Could use one oven, but every time I turned on the other one, they both shorted out. Easter was 4/4/21 and repair parts are supposed to hit town 4/28/21, at which point they will call to set up an appointment to repair - so another month without the unit.

Here are two massive issues we have had continually: 1) It takes a ridiculous amount of time to heat; over a half hour to reach 350, if it ever does. 2) It takes an even longer time to cool with a loud fan running (unit is NOT quiet!!!), think HOURS, unless you leave the doors open. In my kitchen, this blocks traffic, which is incredibly problematic and DANGEROUS with children and pets.

Blue Star happy to "work with their engineering department," which is no quick solution. None has been presented thus far.

• histprof1066
    3 years ago

That sounds awful, I just ordered one for myself the other day and hope it works out better. I'm getting an electric oven, I wonder if that will make a difference. @gulfsounds have you gotten and used your oven yet?

• Paula L
    2 years ago

We have also had the same complaints about our Blue Star single electric French Door wall oven. We are in our first month of our second unit and it has now failed. The first unit I was able to use maybe 4 months out the the year and 4 moths I had it. I WOULD NOT recommend these units.

• corrinnevaquez
    2 years ago

Purchased BS French Door double oven 10/2019- panel was defective when it was installed- retailer couldn't/would/t help me said it was under warranty. After about 30 days they finally sent new panel and it was installed. Now two years later the same panel went out. Was told because of the heat in the doors this will happen. Really??? Now it is out of warranty and I have to replace the panel on a 8000. oven, I was told by two different service appliance company's that this will continue to happen. When I called Blue Star they said they weren't aware of any issues??? I am getting a 3rd opinion, I know its been two years but ovens of this magnitude should not have issues in years. Not sure I would purchase a Blue Star again.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    2 years ago

corrinnevaquez -- FWIW, The panel on my 2017 BS FD single wall-oven is fine and I use the oven frequently.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    2 years ago

Does anyone have the Cafe French Door Double wall oven, and would you buy it again? I was considering the BlueStar french door double wall oven, but changed my mind after reading the previous comments.

• PRO
    VIA Artisan
    2 years ago

I would be cautious about comments here. Unfortunately most people will post about negative experiences. Case & point, how often do you ask to speak to a supervisor when you receive great customer service? Conversely, how often do you ask to speak to a supervisor for bad customer service? I have two of these, the French door & the drop door version and I’ve had issues with the drop door version but the French door one has been flawless. Except for the doors it’s the exact same oven.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    2 years ago

Thank you Appreciate the feedback .

• Jerry Jorgenson
    2 years ago

Carolyn Jenkins -- I have the same issue with a double wall oven as I do with a range: Bending over takes the fun out of baking. If I needed more capacity, I would purchase another single wall oven.

• jrstarai
    2 years ago

POSSIBLE HACK FOR DOUBLE OVEN USERS!!! Might help de-Grinch your Christmas if you need both ovens. I've been having the same double oven issues as many others. You try to start the second oven (doesn't matter which you start first), and the whole thing shuts off and reboots. First, possible solution, then background.

Start one oven on bake. Then try starting the other oven on broil. If that works, shut it all off, then try bake on one, roast on the other. Experiment with the modes a little. Mine was NOT working. Now it is, but I don't know for how long. And I don't know if repeating this will work again if it fails. Just something to try.

I've had multiple control board replacements like many others. Bluestar has a new control board in the pipeline, but they are having supply chain issues like everybody else. They switched suppliers from Quantem Corp, to somebody else. Quantem is a big supplier for HVAC control systems, among other things.

I have a technical background and can do some very basic electronic repairs. We'll need both ovens for Christmas dinner, so I decided to see what I could do. I took the boards out to check for basic stuff like scorched components and bad solder joints. No smoking gun. I put it back together and tested it. FAIL, same as usual.

The moment you select the temp on the second oven, you can hear a relay click, then the oven dies. Like a momentary overload condition. Preheating for bake or roast involves using all the oven's elements. Big load. I researched what elements activate for the various modes. I decided to try starting bake on the top oven at 200, then BROIL on the bottom on Low. Broil only uses the top element. IT WORKED! Then I did the same test, reversing top and bottom. Still worked. I flipped the breaker on and off and tried again. Still worked. After a couple more tests, I tried what would ALWAYS make it fail before, bake on the top and bake on the bottom. STILL WORKED. Something about this process seems to have slapped the control board upside the head to get it working.

Hopefully, this solution is durable enough to last until the revised control board is installed. We'll see. And I hope this works for somebody besides ME!

Regarding Bluestar and the oven, we do like the oven. Yeah, it's a little noisy, but we knew what we were getting into. FYI, the noise comes from a fan deep behind the control panel. All that fan does is cool the electronics. That fan doesn't need to work as hard when you use the bottom oven, so it's quieter then.

Yes, it's been real nuisance to have all the failures. There have been adventures with the repair company to add to all this. But through it all I feel that Bluestar has had my back on this. They have been accessible and responsive, going beyond the call of duty at times. Huge kudos to Bluestar customer service and their management. Thank you, and I look forward to finally putting this to bed with the new, improved components!

• heather1red
    last year

New bluestar double ovens installed in July. Could not run both ovens at the same time without them shutting down. Couldn’t brown meat…soggy and gross. After 2nd service call, new control panel installed…new problems. The control panel is reversed so top controls the bottom oven and vice versa. Oven says 325 degrees but is so hot I can’t open because handles are burning hot to the touch. Cookies at 325 degrees were burned in 9 mins. Check out pictures. I have 3 little kids and can’t cook for them. I grew up poor and it took me a lot of hours of hard work at 25 years old (now 50 yrs old) to save money to be able to redo my kitchen. I am out $9,000 with a piece of junk oven and endless service calls. Companies have no integrity anymore. Nothing but excuses and no one seems to make the connection between the money we spend for products and the actual labor and time spent to earn that money. Not a fair exchange of value for my hard work.

• histprof1066
    last year

I have been using my BlueStar electric double oven, French doors on top, for about nine months now. So far I have not had any of the problems that others have noted. It seems like many problems are with the gas version of the oven, and some with the electric. The fan is somewhat noisy and it does take a long time to cool the top oven down, but it doesn't really bother me. I think the oven works well. Have used both ovens at once for big holidays, no problem. My only complaint is that at times, when the upper oven is running, the window in the lower oven steams/fogs up. Sometimes it's only half the window, sometimes whole window. Must be a gap in the gasket? But no problems with actually cooking.

• Avanti Kunamneni
    last year

I bought a single French door electric oven 4 years ago. It's in a back kitchen and has maybe been used 30 times. When it gets to around 350, the control panel goes out.

I live in Minneapolis so not a small city. Only one place even services it, and they refused to come look at it until you have ordered parts. How am I supposed to order parts if I don't know what's wrong?

All my other cooking appliances (including an oven) are wolf and subzero. Zero problems in the same time and the wolf oven is used at least twice a week.

I was enamored by the reviews on here and wasted my money on this hunk of junk. It's also a pain in the butt to clean thanks to the stone on the bottom. Never again.

• Rosaria
    last year

Mine did the same thing. And it’s a Monogram. A tech came out and replaced it because it was still under warranty, but I feel a “reset” from a tech might do the trick because between the time he came and the time the new part came in it didnt do it anymore. I think it’s the same manufacturers for all these appliances that supply the electronics. Also my monogram doesnt heat evenly. If you at least have that, you are ahead.

• HU-660413749
    last year

I too bought the BS double wall ovens. They are an expensive piece of junk. The digital display pixilates and finally goes black. The oven is now sparking and will turn itself on randomly. I have contaced BS we’ll see what their response is. im not very hopeful. their customer services is terrible. If you are considering buying one DON’T

• Corrinne Vasquez
    last year

I do want to do a follow up on my review 2 years later. When i recieved the 2nd panel to replace, my electrician came out to check the fuse/outlet. we did this because we had few power outages amd thats when the panel stopped working. my electrician flipped the breaker and everything worked fine! He could not find any problems with the breaker outlet or connection. Hmmm… we were bafled but i didnt need to replace the panel, when i notified Bluestar they said I could return of course with a restocking fee…they said this part was in demand! Now if we loose power and the oven wont turn on we just flip the breaker. i m sure for a 800.00 double oven there must be anither way, but we couldnt figure out what else to do. i do not have any issues with using both ovens, time for pre heat etc. Everything cooks evenly. I use my pizza stone all the time and cooks perfect. The only issue we have is ”cool down”. Loud Loud Loud! Scarry Loud! it sounds like someone is in the oven screeching to get out! I Love this oven and if i have to flip the breaker thats what i will do! Fingers crossed that it will hold up several more years!

• Avanti Kunamneni
    last year

Blue star actually sent us a new touch panel for free (we weren't in warranty). They also called the service company and had a word with them. It's been working great since, so fingers crossed it holds up. They're customer service was awesome.

• Dango
    8 months ago

Bought a BS 30 inch wall oven this year and the doors and hamdles get too hot to toich without burning. Also heating the cabinets so mich that the hanldes are too hot to touch. BS saod they will refund or exchange if I sign a waiver saying I will take a replacement as is and that BS will not repair, replace, refund refund, or be liable dor property damage or injury. Going to return it, but upset that I wont have a wall oven that matches the range. the range gas oven didnt work when it was installed but BS sent a service tech who replaced a bunch of parts. so far its working but only been about 4 weeks.

• Home Cook
    5 months ago

Installed 2 BS top of the line wall ovens in our kitchen remodel (finished March 2021), one gas one electric.

Wanted to test both to see what I would go with when we built out new house in the next few years.

To my surprise (after that GIANT pricetag) I will be yanking them both and depositing them on the trash heap.

5 service calls between install and Nov 2023.

2 ovens going down DURING 2 different Thanksgivings

I am on my 3rd igniter for the gas one.

I (should be) on my 3rd motherboard for the electric (it’s out of warranty now and at $1500 a pop I am done throwing more good money after bad.)

$12.5G commercial grade ovens should not act like this.

-They are NOT even baking (even a frozen pizza approaches burning on the back side while the front edge risks being not done.) Cookies are ridiculous. Often times macarons from the ack are just sacrifice to get the rest perfect.

-Igniters seem to last me about 8 months.

I use the gas about once a week. If I used that every day I would need a warehouse of them.

-All the metal surfaces are really hot when in use. The handles are ok however, but we had to remove everything from the cabinet above the gas as it was so hot in there I was concerned for anything that was not metal.

-The last motherboard went out because I was using the broiler a lot for a big meal and left it on while we ate dinner. Cleaned up the kitchen and noticed oven was on and motherboard was not. Yup—it got too hot so burned itself out. Commercial grade oven…

-Broiler on both are so small if you try to toast a cookie sheet full of hamburger buns (middle rack) you get brown in the middle and nothing on the outer ones.

-Convection fan ”hums” so loud its like an airport. Yup its ”known”. The metal oil-cans and creates the vibration.

-Electric takes FOREVER to heat up

-The heat from oven is vented out the front above the door. Its so hot coming out just on the left side (why left side vent only when who face has a vent grate??) that the stainless is all discolored and looks like crap .

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY BLUESTAR 8-BURNER COOKTOP! i cannot recommend them enough!

I HATE THESE OVENS! I cannot justify the unreliability of these things any more. Look up their reliability online—they are among the worst. I cant host huge food parties and go thru this embarrassment any more of replacing igniters in a semi-hot oven during a party cuz they went out—or worse!