SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_lane3

Help!? Blanco, Kraus, Elkay, Vigo Composite sinks

M L
2 years ago

Hi all! Love a farmhouse sink, and researched fireclay and enamelled cast iron to death. I’m worried about chips and breaks, cracks/rusting, staining. On to composite sinks. These also come in apron style and I’ve spoken with VERY happy owners of the Blanco Ikon. Also a certain Joseph has recommended the Elkay Quartz Luxe. However, I’m looking for a sink that is either 24” or 27” max, as we don’t have a big kitchen and I don’t want to lose precious counter space, and Elkay’s is bigger...
Has anyone come across a good comparison of these composite sinks that is recent? I love the look of the Vigo Matte Stone sink and it comes in smaller sizes, but is it made of the same material as the Blanco?? So many comments about staining with the Vigo but I wonder if it’s because they were not using the right cleaning products? I have read some reviews where once they cleaned it according to the vigo recommendations the sink looked like new again.
Main concerns: don’t want to worry about chips and breakage and permanent stains.
Can anyone weigh in here? Thanks all!!

Comments (16)

• M L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @JuneKnow! Anyone else have some experience with these brands? Would love to get a variety of feedback here, especially those who own one or other of these and can comment! Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Blanco may have invented the category, but they've been dropping the ball lately. I just replaced this etched, bleached, cracked and leaking Blanco composite a month or so ago. As soon as the replacement arrives I'm changing another soon. Same problem, catastrophic crack.

• M L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh my!!! Just when I found the right sink for us! 😩 is there no sink without these headaches?

• mainenell
    2 years ago

Stainless steel. The workhorse of kitchen sinks.

• M L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Haha yes, thanks. Just not the sink of my dreams but I do realize they are incredibly durable.

• Lisa
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC in your opinion since you are having some issues with blanco, who would you recommend for a granite sink? My fabricator is selling something under the brand Duragranit. Any thoughts on them?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

With the exception of the Elkay Quartz Luxe line, the composites are pretty much the same stuff. I've never seen as smooth a finish on a composite sink as the Quartz Luxe on their apron front sinks.

• Lisa
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Does that cost a pretty penny?? I'm already well over budget in the kitchen lol

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I was recently sent the wrong Blanco sink. I opened the box and was very impressed. It is every bit as nice any of the Elkays. Smooth as a baby's butt.

• Lisa
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC I just noticed you are in the sarasota area and that's where I just returned from! Looks like we may be going the way of the granite composite sink - farmhouse. Thoughts? I'd love your professional opinion on what to consider, pros/cons, undermount vs farmhouse.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Lisa:

As Houzz regulars know, I'm a huge fan of the Elkay Quartz Luxe Apron Front sink. You haven't said if you're getting new tops/cabinets or if you're retrofitting. If you're retrofitting, there are existing cutout dimensions that affect whether or not you can cost effectively get a composite apron front sink.

• Lisa
    last year

Brand new everything! Building from ground up! Are the Elkay sinks easy to maintain? I am a huge fan of convenience!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Very.

• TJ
    4 months ago

I am close to starting a kitchen renovation that includes an Elkay Quartz Luxe in Silvermist. My son bought a home that has an Elkay classic quartz in black. He already has a white cloudy stain in the faint shape of a circle-like a bowl- that sat in the sink. They have no idea what could have caused this to happen and have tried everything to remove it but it seems to be permanent. So now I am worried and wonder I should switch to stainless. Is it not ok to leave dishes sit in a quartz sink when you are rushing out the door to work or having a midnight snack?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 months ago

You aren't marking a composite sink by leaving dishes sit in it. Sounds like a hot pot mark. May be fixable with a diamond pad protocol on an agressive grinder if you aren't too fussy about the finish match.

Sponsored
Village and Coast, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Customized Interior Design Solutions in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz