FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
juliero

Induction ranges - aga mercury (36”) vs Bertazonni vs fisher paykel

juliero
last year

Deciding amongst these three. Any thoughts?

Comments (38)

• Katie Jones
    last year

I’m looking at the FP classic range. Did you order anything yet?

• juliero
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Katie - I am leaning towards the classic. I haven’t ordered anything yet. I went to three local stores (some via telephone). One said either range was good. One said I should get Bertazonni because FP is having more production issues. One said the FP is the better product. It looks like the FP may have a warming drawer. I phoned the FP experience center in NYC to ask and they never got back to me.

• Related Discussions

36" Fisher Paykel Induction Range

Q

Comments (26)
    @karenanywild - curious what you went with and how it’s working out? I’m looking at the FP 36” induction and comparing to wolf and others and had some questions for the owners out there: I saw a review on their site that said the induction burners were loud to the point where it bothered the dogs. I’m assuming this is by using low quality pans but figured I’d ask another reviewer said when using the oven and cooktop simultaneously it’s hot bc the oven has a gap at the top front to exhaust the oven??
    ...See More

Fisher Paykel scratch & dent or new Café induction range--same price

Q

Comments (16)
    I will chime in because I am in the same boat. I love the F&P for styling but that oven is very tiny. Despite their marketing about fitting a turkey in there, you might be able to jam it in but then the top will most certainly burn. The bottom oven of the Cafe double oven model is 4 cu.ft. so larger than the F&P. My small microwave capacity is 1.2 cu.ft. so the F&P oven is only 3x the size of my microwave. That put it in perspective for me as to how small it is. The bottom rack is fixed to ensure that it is not too close to the lower element so that makes the usable capacity even smaller. Now after saying all that, we are 2 seniors who cook for the just the two of us. I am not a baker, so my oven use is just for broiling fish, roasting vegetables and cooking chicken breasts and pork tenderloins. So I know I could function with that small oven but the question is do I want to be limited by it?? With Covid, family extended family dinners are a thing of the past for now. And when the restrictions are lifted we will likely host family dinners out at the cabin that has a generous wall oven. I have read a lot of negative reviews about the Cafe and when I viewed it, the oven racks are a joke - very flimsy, poorly fit, and not fully telescoping. But I am having a hard time paying a high full price for a teeny, tiny oven. I will say, if I came across a scratch and dent model like you have where the price is comparable to the Cafe, I would probably pick the F&P just because we have a small galley kitchen and the F&P would not overwhelm the kitchen. But at full price.....I dunno. Ok, that was probably no help to you whatsoever, lol. Marilyn
    ...See More

AGA 36" Professional Induction Range vs 48" Mercury

Q

Comments (1)
    It sounds like neither one really suits your needs. I would keep looking.
    ...See More

36" induction range suggestions needed or switch to 30"??

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm starting to look for a 30" one. That 36" Frigidaire looks great--the 30" ones aren't nearly as stylish or I'd probably be on it. Get a good layout on the cooktop, but all induction is going to be pretty similar. I went from a 1983 induction cooktop to a new one (in about 2012) and the differences in performance were minor. They're all going to be close. So aside from the hob layout, be sure the oven does what you want. Remember (if you're remodeling/building) that you don't just save money with 30" on the range itself. You save on the hood above it. AGA has been around forever. Their traditional ranges are kinda weird. If you go that route be sure you can get service. They're kinda niche.
    ...See More
  • Katie Jones
    last year

The store I went to said FP is better quality than bertozonni. But then I was reading reviews here that say they both have cooling fans that run after the oven is off and that it can be noisy. So that is what is holding me back. I actually prefer the FP to bertozonni. It has such a clean look and I like the placement of the burners on the 36 range and ref full extend racks in the oven

• juliero
    Original Author
    last year

Oh that’s helpful to know that they recommended the FP to you over Bertazonni. I love what the FP looks like. I don’t know what else has no fan but looks good and is in that price range. Looking at it will make me happy :). It comes with a free dishwasher drawer which I may add to my little pantry area.

• Katie Jones
    last year

Yes, looking at it makes me happy which is why I was so inclined to get it. I went to the store to look at the wolf and smeg. The wolf felt so bulky to me and the smeg is very narrow in width for the oven part. Plus, I like with FP that the large burner is in the middle (opposed to smeg on the left). With FP, When I’m cooking with husband or kids we each have some room on the FP. I need to call the store to ask the salesman about the cooking fan.

Please let me know if you end up getting it. Thanks!

• Katie Jones
    last year

Oh, and the FP has a warming drawer which is a nice bonus.

• juliero
    Original Author
    last year

I will. I definitely like warming drawer because no one comes when I yell dinner is ready!

• Katie Jones
    last year

So true!! Can’t wait to hear what you decide!

• Gabrielle Vogel
    last year

I am looking at the same ranges. I have read a few reviews of the Bertazonni that say it takes a full half hour to preheat the oven, which knocked that one out of the running for me. I went to see the AGA and the FP in NYC a few days ago. I personally really like the way that the Mercury looks (the clean lines of the windowless door are really nice). The knobs had a really satisfying feel in the hand too. My husband felt that the AGA didn't seem nearly as well made as the FP (I will have to agree that the details on the FP like how the oven doors glide out really smoothly were really nice). My issue with the AGA was that other than the large center burner, the burners are all very small. This seemed weird to me, and far less useful than the FP burner layout with the generous zones on the side. Only the AGA was "live," and the salesperson but a pan with water on it on the cooktop. There was a fairly loud noise (less loud than the $50 induction burner that I bought to use after my current range died until I can get a new one, but still loud). Does anyone have experience with induction cooking? Do ALL induction ranges/cooktops make noise?

For what it's worth, I really did like the FP classic a lot (aesthetically I prefer the AGA, but that is so personal it hardly matters). A note: the FP Professional has a taller oven and a large touchscreen for oven functions. I personally hated the touchscreen (I found it aesthetically jarring for my kitchen, and figured that it would always be smeared with whatever is on my hands as I am about to put something into the oven), but the classic oven is quite short in height. Wide, but short. My current oven has three racks. Although there are 7 rack height possibilities in the FP classic, having more than 2 racks in this oven (what it comes with) would be pointless as the space is so short.

The warming drawer also seems like a nice feature (the pro model doesn't have this), but I would likely mostly use it to store pot lids, LOL.

I still haven't quite decided which range I prefer, but I guess I am leaning toward the FP at the moment because I like the burner layout so much more.

• juliero
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for posting. I love the AGA Mercury’s looks the most as well. But haven’t seen one in person or tried any of these. I think I would use a warming drawer but it seems very low. OMG at this point I could sell these. I went to another store and the salesperson didn’t believe me that the FP had a warming drawer and had to look it up.

• Gabrielle Vogel
    last year

They are both really nice. The price of the AGA is better, so there's that. When do you need it? And what part of the country are you in?

• akrogirl32
    last year

Gabrielle, I know you aren’t looking at the Miele, but I have to say that our induction range doesn’t make any noticeable noise, and the oven fans are pretty quiet. I was also interested these two but, unfortunately, wasn’t able to try them live. Heck, I couldn’t even see an AGA! One dealer did say that they were getting good feedback on the FP from people who have already had their ranges installed.

• waverly6
    last year

I have the Aga 48 inch Elise induction range and it’s virtually soundless. The only time I had any buzzing was when the was using an inferior quality pot ( which also didn’t heat up as quickly and as well . )

• Suz
    last year

@waverly6 I'm strongly considering the Aga Mercury or Elise 48 induction and wondering if you can use either of the ovens as a warming cabinet, I can't find anything that says the lowest temp it'll go to. Any chance you could share that info? I have heard the oven bar on the Elise obstructs the knobs which was another reason I am leaning towards the Mercury but I"d love your feedback. I also love the broiler drawer!

• waverly6
    last year

@Suz . The lowest temperature setting on both ovens is 150° F according to the dials. By comparison, for example, the Wolf warming drawer Is
    proof 85°
    Low is 120
    Medium is 160
    High is 200.
    In terms of the bar blocking the knobs, I find that really to be a non issue. If necessary I just take a half step back or tilt my head. Plus after the first few times of using it, you really know which knob to turn and the settings ( levels ) are shown on the cooktop.
    I looked at both Elise and mercury and. while I have a lot of modern elements, and a lot of eclectic elements, I just loved the overall look of the Elise. It has a lot of charm and character. I like the French style knobs. And it just has a nice feel in your hand.
    Please feel free to ask anything. I bought it totally sight unseen, so I know the feeling.

• waverly6
    last year

Also, I have another full review on a post called something like review and first impressions of Aga Elise.

• Suz
    last year

@waverly6 thank you so much for your reply, I found your wonderful review so informative. I am now also strongly considering the AGA Professional 36" AMPRO36INSS as the oven has a warm feature, and the top cooking surface is frameless (I am so worried I will scratch the stainless steel border on the cook top of the mercury/elise).

• waverly6
    last year

That looks a very versatile range.

I went to look at my steel border as I have never thought about scratching it, but I am worried about scratching the glass cooktop.

• amalloy8
    last year

I have been looking at the AGA 48 induction options also. Thank you so much for posting!

I am curious about how pots and pans of various sizes work on the rings; my current induction cooktop is not very forgiving so if we try to use a pot that is a little smaller than the ring it won't work.

@waverly6 how is the finish holding up? Do you still love the blue?

• wondering2020
    last year
    last modified: last year

Same boat here! I have to decide ASAP between the Fisher Paykel 36in black classic induction or the black 48 in Aga Mercury or Elise. My KD is waiting on me to give him the answer. No one sells them in the store around me so I am unable to see it in person. I am also concerned that the AGA burners are small since I cook on very large pots.

• L W
    9 months ago

I’m so happy to find this thread. I have a similar dilemma. Deciding between FP 36” induction or Aga Elise 48”. Love the size of the burners in the FP and the way the shelves slide out so smoothly. Love the looks of Elise and the two smaller ovens for faster up to temp speed and versatility. @waverly I understand you have combi-steam oven in addition to your Elise… I would only have the Elise and I micro. Alternatively if I get the FP I could add the FP combination convection micro (not steam- that is out of my price point I think and I need a micro with three young kids)… any tips? Our kitchen is relatively small so the extra 12” of counter and drawer space isn’t nothing…. Thanks so much!!!

• waverly6
    9 months ago

You really do have a lot of extra factors to take into consideration. I’m going to post my answer in a series as I find I type a long answer and it vanishes.
    This is my 2 cents. I definitely feel that in your situation you need more than one oven. When I had my family at home I was always cooking things at different temperatures so both ovens were in use.
    I took a look at the FP 36 inch to compare.
    Taking your situation with afoul and 3 small children into account.
    It does have a bit more Technology., like self cleaning and digital time and temperature display.

The aga is definitely more of a stunning focal point,
    It has the 2 ovens plus a grilling oven and a storage drawer.
    The Fp has the window to easily see your food. With the aga you have to open the door to check on it. Will that be an issue for you with small children ?

• L W
    9 months ago

Thank you so much for replying!! Re your question: the lack of window doesn’t concern me (I think having to keep a window clean concerns me more! I rarely use my window now) and I like the aesthetic better. Self cleaning is a plus. I’m not sure I understand the temp display? The aga is just set it and forget it right? That’s kind of my style… I don’t think I would be checking if it dropped to 360 vs 375 etc… is that what you mean? Very grateful for your input on cooking for a large family! We love to eat and definitely cook a lot. Currently making do with a 30” wall oven and 36” gas range top (both Bosch, came with house) and don’t see major issues with that set up yet but imagine they are coming!! And we don’t have room for wall ovens in our layout- unless it’s a 24” under counter (ie the upgrade to a combo- convection micro/ or i suppose a small steam oven if we can work with stashing the micro in the pantry cupboard…)

• waverly6
    9 months ago

I thought the FP is a bit price for what it is. ( yes still cheaper than aga) I’m sure you have looked at different configurations and I may be repetitive in this next comment. I was originally definitely going with an induction cooktop. A wall oven snd a combo wall oven. What are your thoughts on that?
    If I was redoing my kitchen now. I would most likely not put in a combi steam oven which as you know, costs several thousands but I would go with an Anova countertop oven for $599. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my thermador combi steam oven and use it a lot. But you can achieve all
    that with an anova. I don’t have one but I am very impressed with what I read ( check out Anova group on Facebook).
    Technology changes so fast that to invest so much money in an appliance whose technology will be obsolete very quickly doesn’t make sense now.
    Also, do you have induction now ? If not, you just don’t realize how fast it is. I have a combined convection and mw oven in a guest kitchen that I thought I would bring in if I found I missed my microwave.
    I haven’t missed it at all. I almost never use it.
    I was using my mw for reheating liquids , steaming vegetables, reheating meals, melting butter and chocolate and making popcorn
    The induction cooktop works so much faster than a mw. I can heat 8 oz of water to a roiling boil in 30 seconds on my aga. In the mw it took 2 minutes to a very gentle boil. Steaming vegetables or reheating meals is so much better in a steam oven. I use my little Tovala one 5x a day for that. Melting chocolate or butter is easily and quickly done on the induction on very low heat without the need for a double boiler. Popcorn, I would still go downstairs. Or do it on the cooktop. We just haven’t eaten popcorn in a while

• waverly6
    9 months ago

LW. yes. The digital display to tell you the temperature at which you have it set The aga has a dial which shows you. Also no clock or timer.
    As I don’t want sway you against your better judgement and what would work better for your situation, I did omit this point. (which is what sold me and what I rave about and enjoy every single day, whether the oven is in use or not): the Elise is absolutely spectacularly stunning and gorgeous! I really love functional art and aesthetics are important to me. All my platters and serving pieces are beautiful. And that Elise is a work of art, in addition to it being solidly built and it functions really well.
    I’m just trying to present factors and thoughts which may work differently for your situation.
    It doesn’t have a warming drawer but I have found that while the exterior stays cool to the touch ( important with kids) the interior stays warm after it is switched off so it could definitely keep food warm for a while.

• L W
    9 months ago

@waverly thank you for this- so so helpful. I hadn’t heard of the anova so will look I to that as a back up! From what you are saying about the beauty and speed of the Elise induction, I’m guessing you have no issues with the top (size of rings, chipping concerns etc?) that is super reassuring. I wish I could see it in person but if an anova and Elise fits the budget this may be the way to go!!!

• L W
    9 months ago

@gabrielle so interesting about the front vent! I never would have thought of that, but can see how uncomfortable it could be.

• waverly6
    9 months ago

LW I have to say it takes a beating. A cast iron pan slipped out of my hands the other day snd there wasn’t a mark. I have clumsy messy workers, who think that my cooktop is a handy work surface for their tools in here all the time and it survives them. ( they even survived me wanting to kill them ). I have acrobatic cats ( acrocatic?) hurling themselves from the tops of cabinets and the hood snd not a scratch. I find that the different sizes work well. Each “hot plate” has 2 rings snd ive never had an issue. I have skis never cooked with all 5 rings at the save time but I have used a griddle and even the small ones take a decent sized pot.

• L W
    9 months ago

“Acrocatic” 🤣 great to know it’s so durable!! And I was wondering about a grill- do the elements bridge or is one enough to heat the grill?

• waverly6
    9 months ago

By grill, do you mean a solid griddle with raised ridges? Not an open grill right? The elements do not bridge. I used a DeMeyere stainless steel griddle which when placed across 2 elements heated after a short time all the way across. I even tested it out by placing pancakes in the middle above where there would be no hot plate, and they were cooked equally as well as those placed directly above the rings. I am sure a cast iron griddle will do the same thing.

• L W
    9 months ago

Ok team range I’m back! It looks like the Aga Elise may be impossible to get on time for our Reno’s and it is blowing our budget… so I am considering 36” options. The Fisher Paykel standard (not classic) 36” induction is at top of our list but given the venting issue and waverly’s concern it is priced high for what it is, I’m wondering if there are other options you guys would recommend? If we go this route I will for sure be buying the Anova precision oven to replace our microwave and have a small “second oven” option. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

• waverly6
    9 months ago

That’s a pity but definitely a sign of the times.
    I didn’t research it and the FP may be worth it.
    I did briefly look at the wolf 36 but I didn’t like the look Of the 2 knobs as opposed to the look of a whole array of knobs. Miele 36 didn’t have the bridge element that the individual cooktop had and service in my area is questionable. I looked at a few 30 inch ones but that didn’t work for me. What is Ilve’s situation? If they have one. Probably anything European will have the same delivery issues as Aga?
    What is the timeline for the Aga? I would honestly consider waiting for it, (if other options are pricey ). As the kitchen can be built around it and it slides in.
    And it is that wonderful.

• waverly6
    9 months ago

I see Ilve have a 36 inch induction. The other one that I really liked was the 30 inch GE cafe.it has a double oven ( small and larger) I also liked the signature kitchen suites 48 in and it was highly recommended by sales personnel at a few appliance places who had seen it. It was very new at the time. ( I researched everything 2 years ago ) and VERY pricey.

• waverly6
    9 months ago

Yep. I just checked that SKS is $15,000

• Claire Love
    last month

@waverly6 are you still happy with the Aga Elise? I love the look of the Elise (and we want a 48” induction…so few options!), but have found some reviews of repair issues that worries me. I also haven’t been able to see it in person! I saw the F&P 36” induction range today and it is beautiful. Made me start to second guess the Aga Elise. So, curious if you are still happy with it!

• waverly6
    last month

Yes!!!! I absolutely love it. Its capabilities really amaze me. The induction cooktop is wonderful. ( I suppose all induction is wonderful ) It feels solidly built, ovens are great, you adapt to the smaller size and just use smaller trays on a few levels. I love the dedicated butter warming ring/
    Plate. And it’s just beautiful even when it’s not on.