SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wondering2020

Fisher Paykel Induction Range

wondering2020
3 years ago

Anyone have the FP Induction range and tell me how they like it? I have an induction cooktop now from Frigidaire and it's amazing.

Comments (76)

• Michael Green
    last year

So I've had my range for a few weeks and put it through its paces. So far I love it. The oven is perfectly calibrated. I baked a pumpkin bread at 350 and my handy oven thermometer read....350. What a novel concept. It heats quickly and the broiler does a solid (if unspectacular) job of charring veggies.

The cooktop is as advertised. Using the power boost function will boil water insanely quickly. The "burners" are extremely responsive, I'd say even more so than gas. Which I get is less a feature of this range and more of induction as a whole. Cleanup is super easy, taking me no more than a minute, and often less.

My only problem (and I can't really prove it) is, the larger heating ring on the middle burner as a minimum recommended pan size of 9 7/8 inches, whereas the inner zone is 5". None of my 12" pans are quite that wide on the bottom. This leads me to believe when using my larger pans on the middle heating element, only the inner zone is being activated, meaning the outer parts of the pan aren't being heated as evenly. When I have time, I can do a browning test. Either way, I don't understand why F&P made the outer zone that wide. If they'd made it 9" it would've made more sense.

In the end, I'm very happy we got this range and I'd absolutely recommend it. Especially when you consider it was delivered only a couple weeks after purchasing.

• Stephanie P
    last year

Our new induction Fisher and Paykel 30" range arrived and was installed this week. I've used it for two days and feel like I have a steep learning curve compared to my gas range. I think I will bake a few batches of cookies in the coming week to try out the oven itself, and I am also curious to start using some cast iron on it. I hear I can put down a paper towel on the surface to prevent scratching from the pan and there is no fire risk. I love this! Here's our beauty in place. We haven't been able to do a larger kitchen renovation but this stove is making me want to!

• Related Discussions

• Michael Green
    last year

Very nice. You can absolutely put a paper towel underneath. Not only protects against scratching, but also makes for easier cleanup. I haven't really used cast iron (preferring carbon steel), but I shake my pans on the cook top and it hasn't resulted in any scratches. That said, I understand if you don't want to push the envelope.

• Karen Tedesco
    last year

I didn't know you could use a paper towel! I used my large Le Creuset Dutch oven and made a nice, deep scratch on my almost new cooktop. :-/

• theotherjaye
    last year

I used my Lodge cast iron pans on our Bosch induction cooktop in our last house for five years. No scratches.

• Vin Gee
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for posting. I had to exchange an F&P 30" contemporary Induction for a new F&P because of unusual noise (similar to this) from the oven. The new classic F&P arrives soon. Hopefully the noise was just a rare build issue. F&P customer support was very responsive during the exchange process.

I have two questions: I have an OTR microwave. I read in another post that OTR microwaves were a "huge no no." However, the poster did not say why, and the post is more than a year old now. I'd welcome input on OTR-venting microwave vs. a range hood. Finally, cookware: What is the best? Is it enameled cast iron like that offered by le creuset? Thanks.

• Michael Green
    last year

Interesting, we have a similar kind of rattling noise. I thiught it was odd, but I've decided to ignore it since the oven works fine.

As for the ventilation, since you have induction you don't need to worry about it. You're not venting out any gas, so the only thing you'd need the hood for are smells or smoke. Neither are bad for your indoor air quality.

In regards to the cookware, I don't think anything is necessarily best. I mostly stopped using regular cast iron years ago because I found it to not be worth the fuss. I love carbon steel. It's a bit lighter and less of a hassle. Between that, stainless steel, and a couple Dutch ovens, that's most of the cookware I use. With the occasional use of a non stick pan. The Anolon accolade line is my go to for induction compatible non stick.

• Vin Gee
    last year

Michael, thanks for input!

• Stephanie P
    last year

Just made crepes on a cast iron skillet and used a paper towel beneath. The towel browned but didn’t catch on fire. I assume this is to be expected? Pic below. What daily cleaning product and process do you use on the cooktop and what special/every so often do you use? I bought the cooktop/liquid Bar Keepers Friend but wondering if this is an everyday item. Thanks all!

• Michael Green
    last year

I imagine the paper towel got brown because the pan was so hot.

I just use a solution of a bit of white vinegar combined with water. When I want to get a streak free clean, I use this: Weiman Cooktop and Stove Top... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFKF7H6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Lee M
    last year

I use a microfiber cloth with a bit of dish detergent for regular cleaning. That’s what they recommend and it works.

• enduring
    last year

Is there a bottom drawer on these ranges? what is does SmartZone on the cooktop mean?

• Michael Green
    last year

Yes, a warming drawer. I find that it's kind of a waste. Although the smaller oven comes up to temperature quicker.

Smart zone basically means you can put as many pots in that zone as you can fit and they'll all heat up. They don't need to be centered on some ring under the glass. It's useful in theory but the classic and contemporary models are not very deep and the zones aren't very wide. At most you can fit 3 pots on one full rectangular smart zone, and at least 2 of the 3 have to be really small. Like saucier and small sauce pan.

• Karen Tedesco
    last year

I use the drawer for storing sheet pans - it's very handy.

• enduring
    last year

I would like a range without a bottom drawer. I never use them because of mice problems, seasonally. I live in an old farm house with lots of surrounding fields and wildlife. I get field mice in the house in the fall and for some reason they end up in that drawer that I never use (as evidenced by what they leave behind), I think there are some ranges that don’t have the bottom drawer.

• Vin Gee
    last year

Follow up: My new F&P classic range arrived today. It's very quiet, compared to the defective F&P contemporary range it replaced. F&P customer service was top notch during the exchange process. The F&P design wraps the induction technology in a well-balanced classical frame with an intuitive user interface. I also went with all-clad for cookware.

• Michael Green
    last year

I’m wondering if i shouls reach out to them. I also have a slight rattling noise. Just don't know if I feel like having someone come back in, haul off this one and install a new one. The hardwood around the range already took some damage. Not sure I could stomach anymore. Might just live with the sound. Did you deal with F&P directly, or did you start with the appliance dealer you initially ordered from?

• Vin Gee
    last year

I started with the appliance dealer, who recommended that I call F&P. F&P dispatched a tech who verified that the sound was not normal.

• Laura
    last year

Hi @Vin Gee -- thanks for sharing! I was wondering -- was this an issue with the contemporary range versus the classic? We are actually considering the F and P ceramic radiant range because my dad has a pacemaker (I know it's old school ;) ) and they are only offering that in the contemporary version...

• Laura
    last year

@Michael Green -- I was curious how your stove is working out for you? Did you get the sound fixed?

• Michael Green
    last year

Haven't gotten anything fixed, but to be honest, we don't even notice it. We use the stove and oven all the time and I'm trying to remember if that noise still occurs. I can test it when I get home tonight, but overall we just aren't bothered by it. In the end, we're very happy with the range, and coming from that powerful Hestan, we feel we made a great decision. The only thing that annoys me is that it isn't very deep and the top has a big bezel. So like you can only put small to medium sized pans directly next to each other, or else they won't really fit. And if you put a wok in the center, it can be tricky to use the burners next to it. It isn't the end of the world, because I'm not using 3-4 pans very often. But if I had to pick one thing that annoyed me, it would be that. The other thing is, if you want a griddle, you're pretty limited in what you can get, because most are not induction compatible and if they are, they're too long for the shallow depth of the stove top. I've been waiting months for the F&P griddle. It's still backordered.

Overall I find the oven is extremely accurate and easy to use and the broiler is fine considering it's electric. The stove is pretty powerful, especially on setting 7 or above. I love that it doesn't give off heat and also love how easy it is to clean. I can confidently say I will never go back to a gas range.

I say all of this as someone who uses it nearly every day, and cooks/bakes a variety of different things. I'd strongly recommend anyone needing a new range to get induction. And if you go that route, I can confidently endorse this one.

• Laura
    last year

Thanks so much for that input Michael!! The Fisher Paykel ranges look great, but the concerns about the oven size on the 30" and the noise of the over were holding me back! I know I am such an outlier considering a ceramic radiant electric rather than induction at this point, and there are even so few models at the higher end available... I appreciate your feedback!!

• Jean
    9 months ago

I really appreciate this thread - made me feel more confident ordering the F&P 30" classic induction in black. My biggest concern was limited oven capacity. Excited for it!

• artemis78
    9 months ago

@Michael Green, how does the 36" do on preheating the oven? Oven capacity is our biggest concern too but in the reverse--I'm afraid the oven on the 36" will be too big and take far too long to come up to temperature. (We're coming from a 24" gas oven so used to pretty quick preheats.) Curious how the lived experience on that has been for you.

• Michael Green
    9 months ago

I'm not going to sit here and say I have a ton of experience with preheat times, only being on my second high end range. However from what we can tell, the oven heats up relatively quickly and more importantly, the temperature appears to be quite accurate. I've also found the broiler to be sufficient, considering it's electric and not gas. I'm happy to time the oven to see how long it takes to come up to a certain temperature. Let me know.

• Michael Green
    9 months ago

@Laura don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure the oven size for the 30" is the same as the 36". If that is the case, I don't think you should be concerned. I was a little worried that it was going to be too small, but so far it hasn't been an issue. I will say I got rid of my pizza stone because while the door could close all the way, the stone would be touching the glass the whole time and I didn't know if it would be wise for super heated stone to have contact contact with glass. Thinking about it now I'm sure it would've been fine, but we were taking no chances. And I hate making dough, so it wasn't a big deal. To people who think they might sometimes make pizza at home, my advice is to just go out for it and let the professionals do it.

• hbeing
    9 months ago

*awesome*. i can't wait to get one.

• artemis78
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Uh oh--the pizza part might be a dealbreaker for us, since that is something we do often. Do you just mean you can't do it because your pizza stone doesn't fit? Or because the oven itself doesn't handle pizza well? (This is one of my husband's concerns since we're coming from a gas oven that does pizza and crusty bread very well. I assume our stone would fit physically since our current oven is tiny, though, and we'd also be fine replacing it if that's the only issue.)

• Michael Green
    9 months ago

Just that the stone didn't fit super well. I'm sure it makes pizza just fine, as it has a pizza setting. Honestly, if you make pizza a lot, I'd recommend just getting a pizza oven like the Ooni. Going to reach a much higher temp than a residential oven and do it much better.

• Lee M
    9 months ago

We have the 36”. Preheat is fine - it seems fairly quick. And I bought this one over others because the interior depth works for all our pizza pans. We make pizza once a week and the pizza setting works great.

• artemis78
    9 months ago

Thanks! That sounds manageable--we also do pizza once a week and breads that need similar heat. I just measured our current stone and it's 14"x16", so should fit fine. Still contemplating the Ilve range that has two ovens, but that one has other tradeoffs...we'll see. For better or worse, our state still doesn't have their act together on rebates, so we aren't buying one until they do--guessing 2024 at this point.

• Hal Morra
    3 months ago

Thanks everyone. I'm shopping for new induction range and really want to go with the F&P 36 but I have one big concern: The front vent makes no sense to me. What happens when you broil and make a lot of smoke, or when you do oven clean? How does all that smoke and junk air get out and up to the hood? would love to hear from someone who makes as much smoke when cooking as me. Thanks!

• Michael Green
    3 months ago

The front vent is kind of silly. It actually makes me chilly because the fan makes the air seem a bit cold. Otherwise it doesn't bother me, since I don't really do intensive oven cooking. I also definitely don't use the self cleaning function. From what I understand, it's inadvisable to do so as it can affect the circuitry. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Hal Morra
    3 months ago

Have you ever made the oven really smoky? That happens to me a lot. I want to find out if the smoke will fill up the kitchen or make it's way up to the hood somehow.

Also, do you find the oven to be loud? We're planning an open plan kitchen. Thanks!

• Jean
    3 months ago

I recently installed the 30" Classic Range and have some feedback, some of which is probably applicable to all electric/induction (but this is my first time with either).

• I love how quickly the stovetop heats, even after previously having a Viking Professional gas range - I can boil water in no time and oil in pans is sizzling quickly. And this is even without the "power boost" feature.
    • It's a complete breeze to clean the stovetop. Hallelujah to never having to dissemble and take apart open burners!
    • The buzzing noise for pots/pans on the stovetop is annoying - especially at lower temps, as it will continuously go on and off. The range seems to keep things at a low temp by connecting/disconnecting the magnetic energy and that is reflected in the sound - is this standard across all induction?
    • As previous poster mentioned, the largest burner is in the back which is just dumb. But I do use large pans with the front burners and it's been fine.
    • Oven works beautifully, although it has way more settings than I'll ever use. I'm constantly referring to the user manual to remember what is what; I'm starting to just revert to only using bake or aero bake (convection) -- although I'll use pizza occasionally and will try the rapid proof at some point. The one time I tried "roast" I burned the potatoes, that broiler is HOT.
    • The sliding racks in the oven are also a dream. I hope their smoothness holds up over time.
    • Oven fan is relatively loud and runs a long time after the oven is turned off. I'm starting to get used to it. My house is only 1000 sq. ft. and the dining room is right off the kitchen so I probably notice it more than those with larger houses. Oven does vent out the front, and as previous poster said, it's oddly kind of chilly.
    • As I knew, oven is small but as I'm not cooking huge amounts of food, it doesn't bother me. I had to get a smaller pizza Airbake, though, to fit.
    • Warming drawer is kind of finicky and it took me a few tries before I could get it to work (and I haven't used it since, ha!)
    • When I first received the range, the fan made an extremely loud rattling/vibrating noise. Had a tech out who had to order new parts to replace it - all under the warranty. I was without the range for the first month it was installed but I was impressed with how easily and quickly I could get a tech out. But I'm in a major metro area (SF Bay Area).
    • Timer only has hours and minutes - no seconds.

Would I order it again? Unsure. I had a 2001 Viking Professional workhorse that I loved but wanted to go induction during a remodel. Its with a family member if I ever want it back :) My fear with the F&P is how fancy it is, with so many settings and things to potentially go wrong. And that once the warranty is over, I'm sure it will be expensive to fix. Blue Star now has an induction range (came out literally right after I installed mine) so I might have gone that direction instead as its simpler and probably has a bigger oven (plus I trust that brand). But no major regrets.

Happy cooking everyone!

• Michael Green
    3 months ago

Sorry, I’ve never made the oven smoky. if youre worried about that, there are ways to mitigate it. Smoke is all about grease and oil. If you use oils with a low smoke point, don't have it pooling on the pan without actually coating food. But I guess if you cook something like roast duck, there isn't much you can do.

• artemis78
    3 months ago

@Jean if you might be open to letting random internet strangers look at your F&P in real life at some point, please let me know--I would love to see/hear one in action before we buy, and from your finished kitchen post, it looks like we're in the same city. (Your kitchen turned out beautifully, BTW!) I've been told the buzzing varies in part based on the cookware used, but that's one of my bigger worries. We have a similarly sized house also with the dining room right off the kitchen, so wondering how much we will hear it when it's in use. Would also love to know where you bought your F&P--had planned to buy ours from Galvin, but they closed this fall, so trying to figure out if there are other options out there besides the two big ones (or, if you went with one of them, whether the service tech was through them too or through F&P directly). Thanks!

• Hal Morra
    3 months ago

Can anyone confirm if a sheet pan fits in the oven? I think they are 13x18. I just found out that the F&P oven is not very deep. Thanks.

• Hal Morra
    3 months ago

Do ya'll feel like the oven fan is loud during or after using the oven? I'm hearing some say it's loud and others say no big deal. I've never had an oven with a fan. We're knocking down the wall between our kitchen and our dining room, so don't want one that's too noisy. Maybe someone can post a video of how noisy it is? Thanks!

• Michael Green
    3 months ago

The oven is not huge but a normal half sheet fits no problem. We made sheet pan pizza last night and that size of pan fit, no problem. Funnily enough, all the olive oil caused it to smoke. I didn't find that the fan was venting out any smoke, which was odd.

As for the noise, we don't find either the oven or the stove to be loud. I suppose it's individual opinion, but the sound of the magnets heating a pan doesn't bother us at all. As for the oven, I find it louder than a basic GE or kitchen aid, but certainly not loud for a high end range. We do sometimes have that issue of the rattling noise that other commenters have mentioned, but it doesn't occur all the time and doesn't bother us, so we never did anything about it.

• Hal Morra
    3 months ago

Big thanks, Michael. I'm seeing folks say that some people's ears can't stand the frequency of the cooktop buzzing. The oven noise seems like it's either too loud or not too loud. Appreciate all your info. I'm trying to convince myself to get F&P contemporary instead of wolf. My only reason to get wolf is if it's "problem free." I don't care about all the fancy stuff at all.

• Stephanie P
    3 months ago

Hi Everyone. We are one year into owning our 30" F&P induction range. I left an early review above and am coming back with a report since this thread is active again. I very much agree with all the observations made by Jean a few days ago. Overall I've enjoyed our range, although will admit that I miss the romance and beauty of the gas flame (we replaced a Viking gas stove). The hum of those magnets just isn't quite the same :-), even if I know the induction is a healthier and a better environmental choice. I am a big home cook and it took me a good 9 months to really adapt from gas to induction. I think figuring out what cookware works best on the induction has also been a bit of trial and error. I think my ceramic cast iron (Le Creuset) and our All Clad Stainless Steel (20+ year old set from our wedding) work best. I too find it frustrating that the largest burner is at the back of the cooktop, but like Jean, have also found that the smaller burners can work well (especially at 7 and above). On the oven, I love the sliding racks. The oven temp is very reliable and comes to temp relatively fast (I have no complaints). I'm fine with the oven size -- we are a family of two and do not need a crazy amount of space. I did need to invest in a new smaller baking steel since my old pizza stone didn't fit in the F&P. I was interested in trying a baking steel anyway so that's been fine. We tend to use the regular baking, broil, areo, and pizza settings the most. There are a lot of other settings I have not used.

My biggest complaint/frustration? Well, it is the glass windows in the oven door. I try to keep the interior of my oven relatively clean (wipe it down every few uses). Early on, as I was cleaning the interior glass, some excess water found its way between the interior/exterior glass and streaked. I wasn't using a crazy amount of water/vinegar solution, but it was clearly enough to find an opening between the two surfaces (which is still a bit concerning to me but I haven't pursued a fix). I am a lot more careful now with any cleaning solutions around the glass. I'd be curious if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions? I am attaching a pic so you can see the streak. There is just no way to clean this. By and large, I give this stove a solid B+/A- and have recommended that friends take a look at it. I was interested to see that Blue Star now has an induction option. That did not exist when we bought ours. I got a 5 year warranty with our F&P so that was helpful and feels reassuring.

• Jean
    3 months ago

Stephanie P - Haha I keep telling myself that the noise of the buzzing is probably comparable to the noise of the hissing gas/flame but you hit the nail on the head, it's just not as romantic! No glass streaking for me yet but I appreciate this heads up and will be very careful as to how I clean that glass.

• Jean
    3 months ago

artemis78 - Yes, absolutely. Feel free to private message me (is that a thing on Houzz?) I got mine from Airport Appliance.

• Jean
    3 months ago

Hal MorraI think the fan is relative to what you are used to. Coming from gas, I did not have a cooling fan before (I did have convection which I only used occasionally) so its a new sound for me. I don't particularly mind it while I am cooking (reminds me I have something in the oven!) but it stays on for quite a while after, which I personally find annoying.

• Julie (rewok)
    3 months ago

My parents have the FP imduction range, while I have the Electrolux (made by Smeg). The FP fan is a bit noisier, and I don't like the front venting. I feel it stays on longer after being done than mine. The FP oven is a small step above mine, with way more settings, and the control are easier to use. The cooktops just perfom identically.

I did not have an extra 3000$ to spend (Canadian prices), but price aside, I am happy with mine! Also happy to use theirs when I spend the weekend.

• HU-575617420
    2 months ago

Has anyone tried a 3/4 sheet pan (15x21") in this range? That is my big reservation here. Know I wont be able to get a half sheet pan in nose first, which I can live with as long as I can get a larger 3/4 sheet pan into the oven.

• Michael Green
    2 months ago

Totally meant to respond to this and then forgot. Just measured the oven cavity (reminder, I have the 36" range), and 21" long sheet pan would be no problem, while 15" depth is the absolute limit. I believe it would fit and you'd be able to close the oven door, but that is exactly how deep the rack is, right up to the lip at the back. So yes, I think it could accommodate a 3/4 sheet pan.

• Ann Becchina
    2 months ago

Does anyone have the 48 inch FP induction range?

I am wondering if it has the same venting method as the 36 (oven vents in the front so that you feel the heat).

• jbm08
    2 days ago

Could anyone with the FP 36” induction in classic or conremporary tell me what size breaker they have? The manual says load (recommended power supply) is 40. It is unclear if this means a 40 amp breaker or a50 amp breaker since a breaker should be bigger than the usage. A 40 amp breaker seems smaller than other 36” induction ranges require. I want to be safe, but I don’t want to undersize. I want that pot of water to boil fast!