Birdfeeders and Mice
I have a Squirrelbuster and suet feeder hanging outside my kitchen window. I love having them there, but my old, unsealed garage isn't far away and I've had a terrible problem with mice -- to the point that they were eating up my car!!
So now I have a new car and I'm trying to figure out how to solve the mice problem without getting rid of my feeders, which are the obvious problem.
Here's what I have so far:
1) Snaptraps seem to be considered the most humane and efficient way to get rid of existing mice, which I'm not crazy about, but even if I did at least initially use them, with the consistent supply of bird food, I'd have to consistently have traps and I don't want to do that long-term.
2) Feeders are over concrete, so I can sweep up fallen seed at dusk every night, BUT mice climb along fence and/or up house to get to feeders, so even tho that may be somewhat of a deterrent, it's really not going to be a great deterrent.
3) Put trays under feeders so seed doesn't fall. Would lessen my sweeping, but ... see #2.
4) Put cayenne pepper in birdseed. My dogs will often eat seed under feeders, so I wouldn't want them to eat the pepper.
5) Put peppermint oil soaked cotton balls in car, and spray peppermint solution under hood. Easy enough, but in my last car, mice were in the headliner, in the felt on the back side of the hood, nesting on the cabin filter, inside the seats, etc., so I wonder if there could ever be enough peppermint. And, yes, I've used dryer sheets, but same issue, and dryer sheets don't work very long.
6) Relocate feeders away from house. If I did this, I couldn't see them as easily, so that would be a bummer. But, also, there is nowhere I can put them that the seed won't drop and grow beneath them. And, my lot is small, so mice will still be fairly close to the garage.
7) Seal garage. This will be a project, but is on the list for next summer.
I have cats, so I don't have any mice in my house.
Has anyone ever successfully had a birdfeeder and eliminated mice? Does anyone have a suggestion other than those above?