SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_753479426

How many of you keep wax paper in your kitchen?

HU-753479426
3 years ago

I was reading a FB cooking page and someone mentioned that wax paper was a thing of the past. I have to admit I seldom use it, but in the summertime when we make picnic lunches I always wrap our sandwiches the old-fashioned way in wax paper. And when we shred cheese, I put a sheet of wax paper under the box grater - makes it easy to transfer the grated cheese into a storage container. When I was cooking for groups of people, I remember using it to separate hamburger patties before freezing.

Do you use it?

seagrass

Comments (82)

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, I always have waxed paper around. As a kid, Mom packed our sandwiches in waxed paper baggies. Plastic baggies weren't really common until the 70's. My sister used to make brownies in a jelly roll pan, with a sheet of waxed paper on the bottom. When they were done, she'd flip the pan over and peel off the waxed paper. Then we'd scrape off the bits that clung to the waxed paper, and eat them. I don't remember it tasting waxy. Now, I use waxed paper for rolling cookie, pie, or biscuit dough. And for separating layers of baked goods. Also for laying on the counter when we're making hamburgers or pounding a chicken breast flat. Handy and cheap.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Elmer, have you tried Fabrique Delices? https://fabriquedelices.com/ or The Gourmet Corner in San Mateo https://www.thegourmetcorner.com/ ?

No waxed paper here, just parchment and foil.

• Related Discussions

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (147)
    ~bump~ Let's try to keep bumping this one until it maxes out (150 posts)....then bump the later one after that (the later one is dated March 22 and was started when we had lost all our threads for a couple of days).
    ...See More

How many dishes would you keep?

Q

Comments (27)
    I didn't say I *hated* the Heritage - just wouldn't have been what I would have picked as my everyday set if we had registered, or if we'd even had any money when we got married and I had to replace my set of 16 (4 plc settings) Corelle. Since then, we still haven't had the money to spend on replacing perfectly good (OK, a few chipped but I got rid of cracked ones) dishes. The serving pieces are a bonus and do come in handy, though I wouldn't use them with anything else except another heavy looking set. So when the plates go, the serving pieces go. I don't have to have matching serving pieces, but if I get Filigree "everyday" dishes, I would like some large serving bowls (preferably covered) and a platter that are similarly delicate since I don't have good china, these would have to serve as my "having people over for dinner" set too. And I hate the idea of going out and spending $25 for a non-matching platter at TJ Maxx when I can get the Filigree one for $20 or so anyway. If I got nice white (Filigree) serving pieces, I would probably use those instead of buying matching china serving pieces when I did get around to buying china. I already mix in some silverplate at the holidays when I use the Heritage. I would love to find some V&B - my sister got some as her "everyday" dishes from MIL. Of course, her "good" dishes are Wedgewood. There are also some Lenox patterns of china I like, though my favorite (would be too afraid to use it) would be antique flow blue. I have only used the tureen once since I bought it (for the plate that came with it!) at Goodwill a year ago, but the covered dishes (casseroles?) and the platter get used whenever there are more than the 4 of us - the platter even with just the 4 of us if I make a big roast or a whole chicken.
    ...See More

Where do you keep your paper towel holder?

Q

Comments (20)
    Mine worked. I got a super short one at Target. I have linked one below, but IIRC, mine was even shorter. Maybe the size used for sidelight curtains down the sides of a front door? I've also seen oval shaped instead of round, which I think might work better. As a precaution, I added two of those square peel and stick pads made by 3M, like the Command hooks you can pull off. So if the rod tries to slip down the cabinet wall, the pads give a little resistance. I though, honestly, it might not hold, but it has, and the upper lip of the door provides a good resistance angle to rip the towels across. This is in a 15" cabinet, tho, so no room to slide around. Here is a link that might be useful: Rod
    ...See More

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (149)
    ~bump~ Hmmmm....the 156th post....did they remove the 150 limit??
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Merci beaucoup!

Turns out one of the places listed as carrying Fabrique Delices products is a goofball little store I've been to several times in San Diego. Owned by a Frenchman and specializing in French grocery items. I've bought canned and packaged items there but the pickings were scarce for charcuterie and other stuff and too much was in freezers and looked less than fresh. I'll try the others. Thanks again.

Still hoping to hear what seagrass puts on a liverwurst sandwich, it sounded interesting.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

A blast from the past......as a kid I remember collecting fall leaves and Mom ironing between waxed paper to preserve it.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Elmer, would you please share the name of the shop in San Diego? TIA

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    3 years ago

No, I don't use it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Sure, it's in in the Sorrento Valley area. Use GPS if you don't know the neighborhood, the roads (and freeways) are a bit tricky there. It's the general area of Qualcomm buildings.

Eurofood Depot

6640 Lusk Blvd a107

San Diego, CA 92121

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Excellent, thanks! I used to have clients in that area. Now I'm hungry..

• Cherryfizz
    3 years ago

I always keep waxed paper on hand and use it frequently I wrap my cheese in waxed paper, I line cookie sheets in waxed paper, I store cookies in a tin with waxed paper between the layers. If I am taking a lunch somewhere I prefer using waxed paper than plastic wrap, same for covering something in the microwave

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Wax paper is way cheaper than parchment paper. I use wax paper when I use a pounder to flatten chicken breasts or other meats. Or to cover a bowl of waffle batter. Plastic wrap can cling and be unruly. I'll use a paper towel for a lot of the uses mentioned above, like grating cheese onto.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

use both waxed paper and parchment paper

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

I use a lot of parchment paper but not waxed paper. I would never line a cake tin with waxed paper as I wouldn't want the outside of my cakes tasting waxy :-P

I used to buy the store brand parchment paper until they must have changed manufacturers who substituted waxed paper. I complained but they didn't care, so now I buy branded parchment paper.

• grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

I always have waxed paper on hand. I have never owned parchment paper.

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Did anyone go to a Catholic school? We did, but this did not happen at our school. My one friend said the nuns at her all girls school would have them put pieces of wax paper under their shoes and slide their feet on the floors. I guess they thought that would make the floors shine?!

I always have waxed paper in the house. Many uses.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

I always have some in the cabinet with the foil and parchment paper and plastic wrap.

• georgysmom2
    3 years ago

I just finished my last roll yesterday. I say last roll because I've been looking for it the last couple of months and it's no where to be found. :-(((

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

I just used it yesterday. I put a sheet on top of my food scale when making buns to keep the scale clean. Beside what was mentioned above I like to use it to put on freshly painted dried shelves until the paint cures . Some paints take 30 days to cure and the waxed paper keeps an object from sticking to the paint.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Yes and I use it for a number of things.

I was going to mention what Graywings said. When we were kids we’d take long sheets of wax paper to the playground, crumple it up and wax the metal slide. You really flew down it then! We also had a bilco door at our house and we would wax that too, for a short but fast ride.

• sealavender
    3 years ago

I have it but don't remember why. Is it interchangeable with parchment paper? buy that when I see it at Big Lots...often a good deal.

• Rho Dodendron
    3 years ago

It's a staple in my kitchen.

I use it to roll out pie shells, line baking sheets to keep food from sticking, pack cookies to mail, or stack handmade blintzes to put in freezer. Its also great to store stickers that will eventually be reused. Anyone remeber the craft project of ironing crayola shavings between waxed paper to make 'stained glass'?

Mom used it to wrap school lunch sandwiches. Yes that was before baggies. I forgot about the wax sandwich bags that she also used. I alo remember cutting circles of waxed paper to line cake pans making it easier to remove the baked goods.

For some years I went to Whole Foods to find waxed paper. Now it's available in the big local chain grocery stores.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

Seagrass is there an option of putting something in the spot where you put an avatar? Maybe you could make a an avatar to give you some of your seagrass identity despite the hu.... moniker. Just a thought :-)

I do not use wax paper anymore. Reason is because I'm slightly a cheap skate.. I prefer using freezer bags which I wash out or casserole dishes with lids or a makeshift lid of a pan. I also use silicone bags and sheets as well.

• maxmom96
    3 years ago

The talk of liverwurstan d onions made me hungry. What I wouldn't give for braunsweiger and thinly sliced red onion on Ritz crackers, or party rye now. Stuck in rehab for several more weeks till I can walk again. No condiments for me, only maybe pepper. Oh,and a porter-type beer to wash it down.

Waxed paper is always in my stable of kitchen necessities.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I have wax paper always. Use it rarely but it still is good to have around. Yesterday my daughter and I were putting away Christmas cookies and it's good to use in between layers, especially if they are iced.

I also use it to make hamburger patties, which isn't very often but keeps it from sticking to the pattie maker.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

I use waxed paper. I separate slices of bread with it before bagging several for the freezer. In more recent years I've added parchment paper to my collection for use in the oven and IP. plastic wrap - never could find one that didn't cling to me more than anything I was trying to cover or wrap.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I never use it but today I had to search for some to line a cookie tin. My mother wrapped my sandwiches in it back before there were sandwich bags.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I cut it in squares and use it to separate hamburger patties when I make a bunch. It makes it easier to slap them on the grill one at a time. That's about all I use it for.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Oh yes...I do use it to line cookie tins and to separate patties...

I also use parchment for baking...in addition to lining cookie sheets, I cut a square to line the bottom of my loaf pan for baking...makes sure the loaf comes out cleanly.

• User
    3 years ago

Lots:

To line plastic containers before storing food

To cover food that could splatter in the microwave

And the most use:

To protect my bench-top while doing glue-ups

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Another use: first day of moving into a new house, bring a roll of waxed paper and some tape. It comes handy when you realize you need something right away to cover the bathroom windows. You cut a few sheets to size and tape them on the window. You still get the light in, but the neighbors can't see in.

I also use it on top of kitchen cabinets to protect against dust and grease.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

To wrap coins in to put in the money cake.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

I use it for rolling pie crust for the most part. This time of year to line cookie tins. That's about it. I always have had a roll just in case. This year for the first time I purchased parchment paper...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

I always have it. My mother also wrapped sandwiches in it and I do as well-much better for the environment than plastic bags. I also use it to roll out crackers between two pieces of it and I still use it to separate hamburger patties, line tins, etc...just like mom. :-). Using in the microwave is something I haven't done, but will do from now on, so thanks for that!

• georgysmom2
    3 years ago

Does anyone remember shining their apples with wax paper?

• Ninapearl
    3 years ago

i use it to put between layers of fudge. yup, i remember my mom polishing apples with wax paper!

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Always, along with Tinfoil, Saran Wrap and 2 sizes of plastic storage bags, and

Parchment paper for cookies.

I always use the wax paper as a layer in the Tin foil for left-over turkey slices

for sandwiches. Helps keep the turkey moist.

• lisa_fla
    3 years ago

I just finished a roll and started a new one! I use it for many of the above uses. I also use when I bake an extra banana or zucchini bread. I wrap each slice and put ot in Tupperware in the freezer then take out a slice here and there to have with tea. I used to use it to line the top of the kitchen cabinets but I switched to parchment paper for that.

My idea of the perfect liverwurst sandwich- liverwurst with lots of sliced cucumber on top and sprinkled with black pepper!!! It’s good on a cracker as well with a cucumber slice- I prefer Triscuits, or even just on the cucumber slice.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

As a kid, I was embarrassed that my lunch sandwiches were wrapped in waxed paper and not in plastic bags. My (older) mom was always behind the times and always opted for the least expensive choice. Now, I look back with great fondness at her quirks.

I use waxed paper from time to time and sometimes the small bags as well. I cringe thinking about how Mom (and I, for a few years,) used waxed paper to line round cake pans. I didn’t really know aboard parchment paper at that time.

• Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

We use waxed paper for a few things like wrapping breakfast burritos. We also have the assortment of other things like parchment paper, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, etc.

Dh tried to buy a roll for his work apartment a few years. Not everyone knows what it is anymore. The kid he had helping him look for it at the store said they didn't sell it anymore.

• lindaohnowga
    3 years ago

Besides things mentioned above, I keep some waxed paper at my craft table. To help lubricate craft punches I punch through a couple layers of the waxed paper. It is also good for putting a small amount of glue on it to use when attaching tiny embellishments to card.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

I like to use emptied bags that held processed cereals: presealed sides and bottom so the sandwiches or other food doesn't fall out as it tends to do from folded waxed paper.

ole joyful

• salonva
    3 years ago

I have a roll of it in the house which I am pretty sure moved with us ( we moved 2 1/2 yrs ago). I know it was a staple growing up, but I was seriously trying to think of what I used it for. I am out of practice. I do remember when I baked cookies that I did use it to line the tins. Beyond that, I can't remember!

And yes, growing up, sandwiches were wrapped in it.

I really like the idea of lining the loaf pan with it.

• Michele
    3 years ago

I’m trying to avoid using plastic. I have both parchment and waxed paper. I use the parchment for baking. The waxed for wrapping. I also cut the strips to circle the cake and keep the plate clean. For the microwave we just use a round plastic lid placed loosely on top of bowl or plate.

I have never tasted liverwurst. Pate? Yes. I remember seeing my father make it. Quite a process, but he was a chef. I’d never attempt it.

I’m looking forward to New Years Eve. We’ll have some pate on baguette. Whatever else we decide. Some champagne. Can’t wait to say goodbye and good riddance to 2020. Hello to 2021!

(One bright spot for our family was the birth of our first grandchild. He is the source of many of the smiles on our faces around here!)

• Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

I haven't bought it in decades. Now I want some.

• chisue
    3 years ago

None here. We use a heavy plastic 'high hat' microwave cover or a paper plate -- or more than one plate, discarding only the soiled one. (This is almost the only time I use paper plates.) I've bought only three covers over the forty-some years since I had my first M/W. Two suffered melt-downs when accidentally used in a too-warm gas oven.

Is waxed paper 'greener' than plastic wrap? Any disadvantages? Maybe I should try it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I'm not sure there's an environmentally better choice between using plastic or wax paper instead. I suspect the "wax" in wax paper is made from petrochemicals, the same raw material source used for the various kinds of plastics. I also suspect wax paper lingers in landfills the same way, and for the same reasons, as plastic does.

• HU-753479426
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elmer - I buy Mother Goose liverwurst. It's in a natural casing tied with lots of thick string. I recommend only buying buying it in a chunk, because if they slice it at the deli, picking pieces of string out of the meat is a real PIA. Then, for me, sturdy white bread, mayo and see through slices of raw onion - but generous on the onion. I like sweet onion, Vidalia is what we get here on the East Coast. This must be wrapped in wax paper and marinated in a cooler for several hours as you cruise to your favorite picnic spot. I love having a cold, dark lager with it now that I'm grown. And some Cape Cod Potato Chips.

seagrass

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Waxed paper is still made with food-safe paraffin wax, just like it has been for years. Yes, paraffin is a petro-wax.

There is newer stuff on the market that uses soy and other plant based waxes instead.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I have a roll of waxed paper that I use maybe twice a year. Almost always woodworking related.

Food related, I use the waxed deli paper sheets, the interfold ones. Use it for zesting & grating hard cheeses.

I save those tough inner bags that cereal is packaged in & use them for pounding chicken breasts. Or cut them open to lay flat for freezing items that I don't wan't to stick together--like green beans, etc. Tough stuff that can be re-used many times. Parchment for baking.

• chisue
    3 years ago

Thanks, bees! (Elmer, too.)

• tami_ohio
    3 years ago

I use it all the time. I put it on top of my bread dough before I set it to rise. I also just made home made carmels that I wrapped in squares of wax paper. I used the last of it and had to buy a new one! I don't have any trouble finding it. It's always with the other plastic wrap, zip top bags, and parchment paper, which I also use.