SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catfishhoward

How to get rid of grass and start new blackberry trellis?

catfishhoward
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have 300' of blackberry and raspberry trellis to get ready by this February when I will receive bare root plants (100 plants). I have thick centipede grass (I think) and would like to know the best way to get the rows ready for planting. I was planning on the rows being 2' wide and 8' between the rows. My PH is 5.7 so I would like to raise it some. I have 2" of drainage per hour from the perc test.

I have a tractor which I thought about digging the grass out but that would create a divot where water could collect? I also thought about putting an agricultural weed barrier down to kill the grass but not sure if I have enough time to do it. I also thought about tilling the grass into the soil and then putting the agricultural weed barrier down so the grass doesn't grow back. I have a lots of oak leaves that I just mulched up last week, can I use this in any way to save money? I thought I could till the leaf mulch into the soil which would raise the dirt up and bring the plant out of the divot?

I also would like to know the best way to raise the PH?

Comments (12)