SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

WANTED: Taxus canadensis cuttings. :-)

User
3 years ago

Anyone have them handy?

I'd like to get <=20 cuttings sometime between now and end of January.

I'll pay for shipping and a reasonable cost for the cuttings.

I know where I can order plants but was hoping to root cuttings this winter. :-)

TIA Bill

Comments (24)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

No but within the next mo we are going to launch a marketplace on the ACS website for exactly this kind of inquiry.

User thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I almost posted there too. :-)

I'll be looking forward to seeing that when it happens.

Thanks!

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

Should have said 'within the next SIX months'! We are about to determine specifics and will likely begin development next month. We're 100%% volunteer so we don't move super-fast!

User thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be in time for getting Taxus c. but that's okay. I already spent several days combing the north woods and may yet get responses to emails I've sent.

I've found it amazing how much work is being done by ACS members and others that are willing to donate not just money but time and materials. My background is more the mechanical field so someone more knowledgeable about plants will have to head up this one.

LMK if there's anything I can do to help.

• Addison in VT z4a
    3 years ago

Sara Malone Zone 9b, that is great news!

User thanked Addison in VT z4a
  • Addison in VT z4a
    3 years ago

P. S. I am also looking for Taxus canadensis, but I'm looking for seeds, which are surprisingly hard to find.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

From what I've read, seeds are generally scant when finding these plants in the wild. Something to do with deer browsing.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Addison,

You must have these plants growing all over the place up in Vermont?

Send me some cuttings and I'll send you a couple of rooted plants. :-)

• Addison in VT z4a
    3 years ago

We don't have any on our 4 acres, and I rarely venture out--especially nowadays. But, we'll see if I go on any hikes in the spring.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay, that's fine. Thanks anyways. :-)

• maackia
    3 years ago

Bill, I've seen Canadian Yew growing wild in Lester Park, which is just off the lake in Duluth. It has been several years, but it was abundant in the area between Amity Creek and Lester River. Even if you can't find it, you won't be disappointed with the walk. Beautiful area.

User thanked maackia
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks maackia. Good to know. I personally have never seen it in the wild.

And It's a 3 hour drive for me but we have talked about a 'weekender' this winter.

Biggest problem is that within a park, it's generally taboo to prune on things. Not to mention Duluth received a foot and a half of snow today. :-)

BTW: I have cuttings coming later this winter. How many is an unknown.

I don't need all that many but hate to run the chamber only partially full.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update:

The extreme cold has delayed collection thus shipment of my Taxus c. cuttings.

They will come but later than expected.

I've been running the Rooting chamber for a month now with 2 bags of Juniperus horizontalis.

Lately, my SIL requested Juniperus virginiana. So I put 2 bags of that under the lights the other night.

I'll be saving the last bag for the T.c. upon arrival. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

3-23-21

The Taxus canadensis cuttings arrived today! :-))

Darrell Kromm of https://www.reesevilleridgenursery.com/

eta: he has a facebook page also.

What an incredible guy to work with. He even explained to me how you need areas of high snowfall to collect T.c. in the spring, otherwise the deer prune it down so bad in more open areas. That's why I had to wait for the snow melt before they could collect it.

Everything was well packaged. Cuttings were long, fresh green and healthy looking with long, wide needles. Quality product imo. The package was so well insulated it was still cold inside. Can't say enough about the service you get there. And good communication. Prices are quite reasonable also.

So, I got them all stuck, bagged and put inside my 'Rooting Genie' chamber.

Thanks Darrell! :^)

Am now at 100% capacity with my rooting facilities. :o)

• bengz6westmd
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks for the update -- good work.

User thanked bengz6westmd
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

8-23-22

Update: Shortly after I posted last August, I left the cuttings shown above out on the plant table with the plastic covering. The sun came out and they overheated, like a sunburn.

Only a few plants in the pots had enough green at the base to look viable so I kept them over winter and this last spring, 3 of them broke a bud or two and I planted two of them in a shady spot between the shed and lilac hedge. They grew good (a few inches) for first year cuttings. I gave the 3rd one to my neighbor who likes to grow things and he happily planted it over on his extra lot somewhere.

About that same time that I ordered the above cuttings from Reeseville ridge, I also ordered a couple of rooted cuttings, JIC, and planted them, last Summer/Fall, along my corner fence, in the shade of the Tree lilac. These were full sized cuttings and have done quite well despite being a gravellier location. I have to water in a timely fashion. Partial & direct sun here for 3 hours or so, noon to 3ish.

Taxus canadensis:

:^)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

Finishing touch! :-)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last year

This reminds me to root out some cuttings of 'Morden Upright', this selection is ultra hardy and likely a good choice along the north facing side of my garage where the winter winds howl and snow gets swept away ... ahhh, but can I keep the deer from eating them!!

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

Hi FB.

Do the deer bother the yews like the one in your picture? Or just the ones in out of the way places (behind the garage etc.).

I noticed a doe and two fawns living in the area. At one point, they reached over some chicken wire surrounds and nibbled on new growth on the winterberries, but they didn't reach over the same height wire around the native yew. Even the ones back of the shed.

A week or so ago in the neighbor across the streets back yard around dusk.

And of course, Mama:

The fawns are the worst. They like to try everything.

I think they also remember what they like and come back later in the season.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last year

Bill, deer tend to leave these alone during the summer months, 'Taunton' is planted along the walkway where it completely becomes heaped over with snow, 'Morden Upright' I toss some dead branches upon, barberries work especially well as a deterrent, as does old stems and dried flowerheads of Joe Pye weed, they won't eat that stinky stuff, lol. Yews are said to be deer candy and of course cedars as well, without a fence I'm left to be in defense! Deer most love my roses, hydrangeas and phlox, but I have my tactics!! :)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

Thanks FB!

I'll be working along the same lines. :-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    8 months ago

8-4-2023: Update!

These are the 2 rooted cuttings I bought from RRN (link above).

Planted 8-10" apart in late summer/early Fall 2021. So second full season in the ground this year.

Like all Yew, they like to sprout from dormant buds along bare areas of a branch.

A little over a foot tall and a good 15" wide cluster of branches.

Picture taken: 8-4-2023 @ 10:45 AM dappled sun. (3-4 hours direct sun daily, Noonish on. :-)

Next: The cuttings I bought from RRN and rooted myself in the 'Rooting Genie' I have down my basement. These were cut in half by me, cuttings and only two survived my negligence after rooting. ;-)

Planted mid-August 2021. They took a hit with some browned needles after 5 days of 90's under extremely dry conditions. These get <4 hours direct sun daily.

Not a great picture, there's more plant at the bottom that I missed. ;-)

:o)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

9-9-2023:

Last update of the season for these.

These are the ones I rooted myself from halved cuttings (originally 5"L?).

Then had a couple of near-death experiences. ;-)

This was taken 4-11-2022 when I first planted these. Barely an inch of green on them, been sunburnt and spent all winter in my dark cold frame by the house:

This season, I've let them go several days without watering later in the season with no wilting or browning.

Not a real showstopper but They've recovered pretty good from me almost killing them, twice. ;-)

Taxus canadensis: Second season in the ground and 10" tall.

Viewed from back sides.

Next are the ones I bought as rooted cuttings. Full length 10" long from Reeseville Ridge Nursery.

These got a few brown needles on a few branches too, after that 5-day heatwave with no water but seemed to fare better than the others.

These were actually planted late summer of 2021 so had a little head start from the others.

These were larger plants to start with, with more roots than the ones I rooted, and I planted these immediately into the ground upon arrival from RRN (July).

Taxus canadensis: ~16" tall and fuller form overall.

I wanted these because they are native to MN and it appears that they will grow here.

This marks the end of my original request, 'Wanted: Taxus Canadensis'.

Thanks All! ;-)

bill

eta: In the post right before this one, I say that the second set of yews that I rooted were: Planted mid-August 2021. This is not correct. I think it somehow was part of my post that was pasted in and should've been deleted. FYI:

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus