SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_cano

Please help with mirror over dresser

Barbara C
3 years ago

My husband is making a framed mirror to place over my dresser. We are leaning towards an oval frame ( because of the sconces and the light switch as noted below). The cutout in the picture below is 26 1/2”x 34”. We are thinking of increasing it slightly to 30” x 36”. There will be sconces on either side, as shown in the first picture below (the electricIan recommended hanging the mirror before installing the sconces). (Please note the cutout is shaped a bit like a football in the picture, with a pointed bottom. It won’t look like this in the final version).

The switch on the wall is unfortunate (shifted because of switches on the backside in the bathroom. I have a double photo of our daughters that I keep on my dresser which I think will hide it (still packed in one of the moving boxes). Otherwise I may have the switch moved below the top and to the right of the dresser in the future.

I’m not sure that the three pictures were necessary, but I wanted to show the height of the ceiling, if that is relevant.

The mirror will be cherry, stained roughly the color of the dresser, with a relatively simple profile. We will have a glass company install a beveled mirror In the frame. Any advice would be most welcome: whether oval is a good choice here, the overall mirror size and the size of the wood border (not sure of the terminology here, but 1 1/2” wide, 2” wide, etc.). My husband is ready to start this project and once he gets into it, it’s not going to be easy to make changes.

Much appreciation for any input!

Comments (28)