SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What can you tell me about standing rib roast?

plllog
3 years ago

One of the local stores does have standing rib roasts. I originally got the idea from the side show (farmer's market?) to my farm box service. I thought my mother would enjoy it, and found this recipe at Food and Wine: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/standing-rib-roast-beef It's simple, straightforward, and not too fussy. My mother bought the best quality meat and just roasted it unadorned, and it was fab. I haven't made a beef roast (not counting chuck or brisket, which are different) for over a decade, at least, and I don't think I've ever done a standing rib roast.

We really don't need a whole one, but I don't mind making one and freezing chunks for later. Is it even possible to make a quarter or third of one? How would that affect the cooking?

I'm trying to think of sides as well. I could do Yorkshire puddings to be very British about it (did I mention it's for Christmas day, but not a Christmas celebration?). Would they go? I would have to make them ahead, rather than in the drippings day of, however. But that's rich with rich, right?

Perhaps, sweet potatoes for the starch, which also serves as a yellow vegetable, and green beans or something for the green.

I'm feeling pretty uninspired. We could order in Chinese...

Talk me into it?

Comments (34)