SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_17253050496

Tile Lippage and Contractor Recourse

Jeff B
3 years ago

I have tried the credit card test to look at the tile lippage for my bathroom floor install, and there are multiple spots where it takes 2 credit cards to meet the adjacent tile (some places 2 credit cards isn't even enough to reach the top of the adjacent tile). This seems excessive to me. The tile are 12" x 24" porcelain with 1/4" grout lines.

From what I have seen online, the max lippage that would be acceptable is 1/16". I also have notice that when I set a new, flat baseboard in the middle of the wall, the middle of the room's tile is a high point. The baseboard is above the edge tile in one spot by 3/8".

My contractor has stopped responding, and it doesn't seem like he is going to fix this. Is there any recourse? I know he is for sure insured with State Farm, and I am trying to find if he is Bonded (first time to have any work done - learned a couple lessons). I am wanting to fire him, but I wanted to see if there is recourse to get him to fix the tile floor first. I'm hoping to not have to tear it out and redo it.

Comments (12)