SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katzander

New Kitchen Layout--Need Help! Thanks!!!

katzander
3 years ago

This is my new layout (caused by need for wall to enclose pipes). I have some questions, and would welcome comments!

1. Do I have enough workspace in the right places? It looks to me like the main workspace is now to the left of the stove (a corner) and to the left of the sink. Is this right? Where would you store knives in this design? In a drawer by the sink?

2. My coffee machine (espresso maker and grinder) are important for me. In the original design, I was going to have them on the bar/pass-through by the sink. But that area now seems better for workspace, so I am thinking of moving the operation to the window (the one to the right in this picture at the bottom). Dish drawers and utensil drawers going under coffee, with a drawer for cups also there. (I mostly use silly little glasses for coffee, but will need to put drinking glasses someplace, by the sink also, I suspect.)

3. I am thinking of ditching the butcher block by the window in the bottom left in this picture. It has gotten too big in this design, and I think I can do everything I was going to do on the quartzite or on chopping boards. If main workspace will now be to the left of the sink (seems reasonable?), I will keep knives and chopping boards in a 1' 11" stack of four drawers (6",6",9",9") there. I also have a silly 4-stack to the right of the dishwasher that is only 12" wide. But maybe most of the chopping boards would fit in one of these. Also food wrap and storage going in these drawers. (Garbage pull-out is also to the left of the sink, before the above mentioned 4 stack.)

4. I will have a lower cabinet by the wall ovens for my mixer, but where would you put the food processor and blender (used pretty frequently)? I thought they could tuck in on the counter under the mixer (top of plan), but it's a little far away.

5. I am putting upper cabinets on either side of the stove. I saw a layout on Houzz that had glass cabinets above and a smaller open shelf below with some Lazy Susans for spices. I will have a pull-out drawer to the right of the stove for utensils, salt, pepper, olive oil, and the like, and could have something like that to the left of the stove for spices, but it seems to me, spices open at eye-level would be good? Spicey thoughts?

6. This is a ridiculous question, I know. The back of my kitchen, laundry area, is now closed off by walls in this design (it was all open before). Dog bowls will go back here. There are two counter areas in the deign, one next to the W/D and one across the way. The one across the way has open shelves above and nothing below the counter except dog bowls and a step stool I'll stick there. Next to the W/D also has open shelves above, but has at the moment, a three stack (6", 9", 15") of drawers 3'1" wide. I'm wondering if instead I had a 1' pull-out for dog food and a 2' stack of drawers if you think I would regret this choice? My thought would be to keep the huge bag of dog food in the 1' pull-out?

7. There's also an option to put a counter/desk around the back of the little wall between the two windows at the bottom center of the plan. I lean toward making that wall disappear as much as possible, but I could have a little corner there, potentially a better spot for dog bowls, though the floor in this part of the kitchen is wood, and in the back, it is a porcelain tile.

Thanks for any advice you have! I have never done a renovation before of anything, and I'm having to re-imagine now that all of my stuff is packed up. I scrupulously measured everything, but never thought I would have to completely remember why I put which drawers where! A little panicked, but it does look like I will have plenty of space. I will also post the before picture and layout again here! (For orientation, the dining room is that big empty space to the right in the new plan.

Comments (17)