SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scordas

To anyone who has painted their island a different color

scordas
3 years ago

Hi all-

Like so many who build a new build from one of the big home manufacturers, I was limited on cabinet styles and colors. In 2016, I opted for white shaker uppers and lowers and a lighter grey shaker for an island. Love my upper and lower cabinets, but I am ready to move on from the light grey island.

To those who have painted their island a color that doesn't fall into the grey/white/black family, do you regret your decision?

Normally I would just go with it, however, I have some serious reservations about incorporating color because:

1. The main part of my house is a very open concept. When you walk into the front door, after going through a small entry hallway, you are in the kitchen. You see the entire eating area and living room.
  2. The kitchen is definitely the center of the space.
  3. The house is only 1578 square feet and one story. So flow is very important.

So, I worry that selecting a color for the island makes that color mandatory for the remainder of the open space. Has anyone else faced a challenge like this?

I've included a photo I have from the build process so you can see the flow. Photo is taken from standing in the living room. In case you want to know what the remaining finishes are in the kitchen space today before chiming in, here are the deets:

• Stainless appliances
  • Satin brass cabinet hardware and sink faucet
  • Black ceiling pendants
  • Black counter stools
  • White gloss subway tile with dark grey grout
  • Currently rocking White Tiger Granite, but that's going bye-bye very soon and will be replaced with polished quartz that mimics marble

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your responses

Comments (13)