SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Resizing window - weird exterior appearance?

I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel and am considering a layout which would require one of the windows (on the back of the house) to be made narrower (the layout would have narrow windows on either side of the range). My house (1898 Foursquare) has a stucco exterior, but as luck would have it (maybe), this window is located where I believe the original back door was, under a portico and surrounded by wood framing. Photos:

The existing window is 31" wide and would probably be reduced to 12" or so. The matching 12" window would be approximately 8" from the edge of the door. Would this look super strange from the outside? I would have room to add an additional narrow window on the other side of the door to balance things out a bit (although I was considering widening that doorway for a French door, in which case I wouldn't be able to add the additional window). Obviously I am more concerned about interior function than exterior look, but given that we use the back entrance 95% of the time (parking is in the back), I don't want to destroy the "curb appeal" of the back facade. Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus