SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Want to recommend a book

laceyvail 6A, WV
3 years ago

While it's a true crime book it's also much more. Here's the brief review from The New Yorker:

We Keep the Dead Close, by Becky Cooper (Grand Central). The woman at the center of this biography-cum-detective story is Jane Britton, a doctoral student in archeology at Harvard who was brutally murdered in 1969. Cooper, a Harvard alumna, tracks down people involved in the case—the neighbor who found the body, a policeman, university museum staff—and charts how Britton’s story has metamorphosed, through successive generations of students, into a “myth” about the dangers that women in academia face. While projecting her own life onto Britton’s, Cooper weighs the responsibility to accurately narrate the past: “Is it ever justifiable, I wondered, to trap someone in a story that robs them of their truth, but voices someone else’s?”

Here is also a very good interview of the author by Pulitzer Prize winner Ron Chernow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0Zzerc7po

I will only add that I was interviewed for the book and am in the book but won't say more because I don't want to reveal my identity.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!