SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mischievous_magpie

Mystery rose, how to ID?

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, all. I'm new here, and new to roses as well. I'm in zone 5, Colorado.
My question is this: last spring I found a rose plant growing on the Northeast side of my house, tucked behind an evergreen. At the time I didn't know it was a rose, because it was so tiny (maybe 3 inches tall) and I had never had a rose before, so did not recognize it. It probably didn't get even half an hour of sun, if any, and no supplemental water either. I'm not sure how it survived. But the coloration of the leaves was so pretty that I left it instead of pulling it with the other weeds. A year later, it had grown to maybe 5 inches tall, but it was very, very sickly looking. The leaves were crunchy and each smaller than my pinkie nail. I finally figured out that it was a rose, and I dug it up to move it to a better spot. The root system looked to be the rose's own roots, and they were as small and pathetic as the rest of the plant at that point.
Since moving it into my main garden about 5 months ago, it began improving immediately. The leaves got darker and bigger, and the plant has at least tripled in size. And now it's my only rose out of three that still has any leaves on it and barely looks affected by the cold weather. It's about 1' wide and tall, and seems like it's mostly spreading wider. Is there any chance of it blooming next year? And if it does, how can I identify what it is? I sort of wonder if it grew from a seed dropped by a bird or something like that, considering its starting size and probably the worst possible location on my whole property.
Sorry for the novel, I just find it very amusing and intriguing to have a mystery rose fall into my hands like that, and I'd love to know what it could possibly be. It seems like it would be hard to ID, though. Thanks for any input!

Comments (24)