SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aidentomology517

I have a compost tumbler. How do I make sure it stays safe in winter?

Aidan Persaud
3 years ago

Hello

I am wondering...I have a compost tumbler (43 Gal). I live in CT, USA and have been composting successfully since April, giving compost away or spreading it down in my gardens. It’s getting cold here and I know that the compost within these tumblers sometimes doesn’t do well over winter, but have heard of people being able to make it last. I am not sure how to begin. In CT, in the deep of winter, it usually hovers between 35F the highest and as low as -15F. So far it has been a very mild end of fall/beginning of winter, with one day of snow and temperatures as low as 12F , and as high as 78F. I have been using saw dust (from our trees that fell in some storms, we cut the wood ourselves), my organic cactus soil that I add every now and then, and dried out leaves. On top of this, I still add kitchen scraps (plant based, along with paper towels/napkins, tea bags and its components, coffee grounds, and egg shells) and tumble about 2 times before adding more saw dust, soil, or dry leaves. I also have a tarp to surround it with (it’s against my fence) and I do not add any liquid or tumble often (unless I am adding kitchen scraps, see above). I add saw dust, soil, and/or dry leaves every 2-3 days. I do not tumble on those days. I go outside to tend my bird feeders and suet feeders when they are empty or not sitting right (the squirrels) and I rake up all the sunflower seed shells and the soil that comes with it (the feeders hang over a small patch where I typically have a small flower garden; the garden has been put to bed for the winter). I add the shells and the soil on the feeder tending days (2-3 times per week). Sorry for rambling, I just dont want to leave any details out! I do know not to tumble it when it gets extremely cold though. I’m not outside on those days anyways (Brrrr!)!

Comments (3)