SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Knee effusion........

aka water on the knee. Usually the result of an injury but also related to arthritis and/or overuse.

My too grippy-soled slippers grabbed at the hall carpeting and I fell forward, landing on my hands and knees. Hurt like a son of a gun at the time as I live in a lower level apartment and assume there is just concrete below the carpet and pad. I really just bruised both knees rather severely.

About a week later, I noticed some puffiness on my left knee. That leg and I do not get along well....fell a lot when I was a kid (clumsy), cracked that kneecap when in college, broke that foot across the arch and most recently, blew up that ankle, requiring surgery and metal reinforcement. Since then, the puffiness has increased rather significantly. Started as a loose bag of fluid (gross!!) under the knee.....now progressed to a solid swelling of the kneecap only. And my previously injured ankle has swollen also. Didn't think much about that as it does have tendency to do so when overworked or strained but it is persistent now.

Although it feels a bit strange to walk due to the swelling, it doesn't hurt at all and I have been trying to treat at home by elevating when possible, icing and taking nsaids to reduce inflammation. But I am not as consistent as I should be and it doesn't seem to be doing a lot of good.

Anyone have this condition before? What did you do for it and how long did it take before it cleared up? I have no doctor and am extremely reluctant to seek professional medical care right now unless absolutely necessary.

Comments (16)