SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

House interior color scheme

Feathers11
3 years ago

Disclaimer: I know this post is a first-world problem during a pandemic. Before you disparage me, please note my family has been impacted in severe ways by Covid. In fact, I'm posting here for some advice (and not "pro" advice) because I want to get this done and move on to the more pertinent details of life.

I'm moving into a new-to-me house after the holidays, and I'm doing some planning. I can't post photos out of respect for the current homeowners. But this house will be a nice place for me to land after a traumatic year, and I want it to be a welcoming place for my young adult kids in the coming years as they continue to maneuver this time in their lives. Believe me when I say it's the perfect house for me in every way.

The house is Victorian style with a yellow exterior with white trim that likely will not change in the time I live there. It's in an established neighborhood with mature trees that shade the home, so I'm not keen on heavy, dark colors inside. The interior has natural wood floors that I will not change, with white woodwork. The walls will be painted a neutral white/warm white throughout the main living areas. My furniture will be a hodge-podge of current ownings (mostly neutral pieces), along with various pieces I'll buy in the next few months (bedroom furniture, area rugs, some accent chairs). My art is mostly nature-inspired (botanicals). The kitchen cabinets are gray (painted--not my first choice, but I'm keeping them until I decide what I'll do in the kitchen.) White quartz counters, fortunately I love their lightness.

There's a wall or two that I could do an accent wallpaper, and then tie in other decor accents throughout the main floor, which is fairly open. The first choice is yellow as a nod to the exterior. I like yellow... but only certain yellows, like light, lemon-y yellows. Like in this wallpaper...

I do not care for yellow/gray, so won't forge that combo beyond the kitchen. All the pinterest inspiration seems to be yellow and gray, or mustard yellow, which isn't really my ideal shade of yellow in this house. And I'm concerned about how the yellow will work with the natural wood floors--the natural oak with a slight orange tint. Would the above wallpaper work with these color floors? (These are not my floors, but representative of their color.)

Given this, should I just do an easier color scheme like blue?

I have a couple friends who have moved during this pandemic. One has decorated in a tonal theme that is very much her style and is wonderful, but I could never pull it off. (Plus, I need a bit more color.). Another explicitly stated she wanted a happy home and chose some fantastic colors that are indeed happy. But her rooms are more defined than mine. And I'm not as brave as she is with color. But I do want my house to be happy--I love that, and is influencing my choice of yellow.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to get this done within a few months of the first of the year. I don't want to overthink this.

Comments (12)