SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Thanksgiving cooking recap

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm posting mine and would LOVE to hear yours . . .

My family suffers often from holiday depression so with Dad and hubs sullen moods on top of pandemic sadness, I expected the worst this year. Dreaded the gathering for the whole day . . . but it ended up being one of my BEST Thanksgiving meals, and also hubs and Dad loved it and were very appreciative. So all's well that ends well!!

Here's what worked;

1. This year due to small bird shortages we settled for a roasting chicken and despite Dad's prior complaining that he ate too much chicken, and also despite me worrying about how long it seemed to be taking to roast . . . it ended up being FAB! Very flavorful and moist, and Dad ended up raving . . . it reminded him of the roast chickens his mother would make for Sunday dinner. He actually APOLOGIZED for having complained ahead of time which is almost totally unheard of.

2. In anticipation of Dad complaining about the chicken, I made marinated baked pork chops with a sauce made out of cranberry jelly, french dressing and dehydrated onions. It was easy and surprisingly delicious. The recipe was from Mom's "to try" file and originally was for chicken. It also called for onion soup mix, but we don't have that on hand, too salty, so I was worried abut just the onions, but it turned out great and will got into my "keeper" file. Unfortunately, no one ate the pork chops but i sent them home with Dad and now I don't have to cook for a good long while. The recipe was so easy it was really no trouble to pop a baking pan with the pork chops in with the chicken.

3. Roasted sweet potatoes. They were fab too, and so easy, but as usual I had a difficult time getting them done in the middle. Baked for an hour and fifteen, so i thought they should have been well done, but I still had to nuke two of them after slicing. Baked sweet potatoes are so easy and good, I vowed to never feel like I have to fuss with any other type of preparation again, I can always set out condiments for those who want to guild the lily. I just ate mine totally plain without even salt or butter! YUM!

4. Stovetop dressing, because hubs got it at the store instead of bread cubes. Good enough. My Dad doesn't like onions or celery in it so every year I make two batches, one with add ins and one without. Happy to not have fussed with that this year. Not necessary, good enough is good enough.

Green beans almondine with frozen green beans. Kind of overkill for frozen green beans but still easy peasy and good.

5. Store bought cranberry relish that Dad brought. Delish. i gave hubs specific shopping instructions to not buy fresh cranberries unless they were a dollar a bag or less. If more than that, I said either get some fresh relish at the deli counter or a can of cranberry relish. INSTEAD, hubs bought a can of cranberry jelly that no one likes. I used half of that in the pork chop marinade and now will have to figure out what to do with the rest. I'm thinking pink applesauce . . . and something else to be determined . . .

6. Two desserts. Hubs traditional cheesecake that he made with a store bought graham cracker crust. Was OK but the store brand cream cheese gave it an off flavor. They were out of Philadelphia which I guess does make a difference in something like this.

I made something from Mom's recipe file, a tart tatin which she never made. I already had the puff pastry for the crust languishing in the freezer and am trying to clean it out, so this was the perfect time to make it. It turned out great but I lost the recipe in the house somewhere right before baking it, so didn't really know how long it should have been in for. I guess it varies. The crust is only about 1/2 puffed/done. It looked done, but the part next to the apples is not. I googled it and maybe it was because I didn't prick the pastry to allow steam to escape from that area . . . .It's the only thing I took a photo of . . .

Comments (9)