SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_carter

have you seen this out if public

Yesterday, against my better. judgment, I ventured into Walmart to grab a couple of sundry items. I had on a double mask and gloves. I know it may, or may not, have offered my any real protection, but you do what you can, right?

All was OK until I heard a cough. About 20 feet from me was a skinny older woman with no mask and she was spewing coughing!!! I looked to see where I thought it most likely for her to have been in the past few minutes and went around and out of that space.

WM was a bit crowded and I should have just walked right out as soon as I went in. But I didn't.

I will. not return to WM until this whole mess is over with. I should have gone to Target that is less crowded than WM most of the time and it attracts a different customer base than does WM.

I was horrified that this person was doing this in a public space like this.

Hubs asked if I told management.

No, that would be more time spent in the store and waiting in a line somewhere.

I just hurried on out of there.

Not going back!!! I will try to stay out of as many retail establishments as possible.

Has anyone had the experience of seeing someone so obviously ignoring the guidelines in such a way? I have heard stories, but this the first time I have actually seen someone doing this in this manner.

Any experiences?

Comments (42)

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

Haven't seen anything like that, but even before covid, if someone coughed or sneezed, I would reroute myself and move several aisles away.

Although I live in the land of "flannel shirts and pickup trucks", as called by someone here, if I go out and make several stops to take care of errands, I could count on one hand the total number of people I see not wearing a mask.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

At the least she should have coughed into her elbow.

I'm in fear of having a tickle and having to cough, but I do wear my mask. I've seen *zero* people not wearing a mask anywhere I go.

But there are people deliberating flaunting the no gatherings and no dining in. A young person rented a storage facility so she could have 100+ over to party.

• Related Discussions

Have you ever seen company shares act like rabbits??

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Glenda, When I used to tell daughter's Female Canine to "sit" she didn't seem to pay a lot of attention. ______________________ Chemocurl, Well done. I didn't know the purchase price. I calculate, though, that one share grew to 144 ... which would make the 100 shares grow to 14,400. ... for better than $969,000. If the guy had started with 104 shares, which would have grown to 14,976 ... at Tuesday's closing price of $66.94 (somewhat lower than when you calculated earlier that day) ... today's value would have been $1,002,493.40. At your quote, it would have been $1,008,034.50 ... $5,541.10 more (a reasonably decent month's pay). Plus ... the dividend rate grew, over the years, more or less in tandem with the share price. Iva Mae, When you go to the "Stock quotes" on Yahoo->Finance, put in "RY.TO", for Royal Bank. If on Yahoo Canada, if you put in "RY" the ".TO" will be added on its own. Try "ENB" for Enbridge, "BCE" for BCE, "GWO" for Great-West Life, "TCK-B" for Teck Cominco, "TA" for TransAlta Utilities, "TD" for TD Canada Trust. There's a place where they offer "Symbol lookup" and if you write the company name in there, it'll tell you the symbol. If you ask for "Bar" chArts, instead of a line joining the daily closing prices over a period, it will give a bar linking the highest and lowest prices at which transactions took place that day, with a little line to the left showing the opening price that day, and one to the right showing the closing price. If, when you have a page where the price information of a given stock is showing, you look over to the left, near the top, there's a place where you can click on "Historical prices" and it will allow you to check the daily, weekly, monthly, etc. price levels of that stock over a given period. As a matter of fact, the price list for JNJ goes back to Jan 2, 1970. And, believe it or not, I didn't know that when I set up the project in the first place. The criteria that I used was to start a couple of years before the first split that appeared on the database that I was using. And not far from the 40-year period that I've heard to be the period during which they increased dividend rate every year. I must confess that I thought it more relevant to put this thread over on "Money Saving Tips" or "Household Finance" ... but thought that it would receive greater exposure here. And that a number of the residents here might find it interesting. Good wishes for managing your income and assets with increasing skilfullness. ole joyful
    ...See More

How many of you have seen...

Q

Comments (5)
    How interesting. My Mom's In Touch prayer group just had our Christmas brunch, and one of our members parents are from Germany. As we discussed our backgrounds, memories were shared of how grandparents coped during the depression and WWII, and our friend reminded us that many arian Germans were as much victimized by the Hitler regime as were other groups.
    ...See More

What do you think if you have seen it?

Q

Comments (18)
    People cash in on dead relatives all the time, but this sounds like it beats the Jacksons. But so many people want to "forgive and forget" and "take the high road" and he'll cash in on it. All for someone who's sole lifetime accomplishment has been to hit a ball with a stick and then chase it. That's something to idolize, isn't it? Even my dog would have *me* throw the ball before he'd chase it!
    ...See More

What's the latest you've seen an individual tree leaf out?

Q

Comments (5)
    My 2nd year Franklinia alatamaha seedlings are just starting to leaf out now, despite having overwintered in the garage (which didn't fall below 30F), then being outside for at least a month and having unusually warm spring weather during that time. I don't know if this is typical of the species to leaf out so late. I was worried they were goners!
    ...See More
  • bpath
    3 years ago

I haven’t seen that.

I shop almost exclusively at my local grocery store. I figure, it’s a smaller, more local clientele, and pretty consistent, so it is safer than going to the huge markets including WalMart, which draw from a much larger region.

• Alisande
    3 years ago

I'm surprised masks aren't required at Walmart (and all the stores). I've been doing curbside pickups at Walmart, but they have 6-7 a.m. reserved for at-risk people to shop. I'm told our store is fairly empty at that hour.

• georgysmom2
    3 years ago

I've been going to our local small Walmart on occasion. I go around 7:30 - 8:00 p.m. Mostly workers in the store at that hour. I have not ventured into our large Walmart. I do want to go on record that I have a chronic cough from GERD.. It's usually controllable with a prescription nasal spray but if I forget to take the spray, I will cough. I do wear a mask and I'm surprised this woman did not have one on. I thought all Walmart's required them.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure masks are still required at all Walmarts but folks around here are (at a guess) 65% ignorant so there's no way they can safely enforce a mask rule. I think in general, most (dang near all) folks consider the law, the rules, to be whatever they can get by with, not what it actually is. (thinking mostly of rules/laws of the road)

I do curbside orders. Delivery is done by 3rd party and demands (strongly requests) optional but obligatory tips in addition to the expensive delivery charge. I refuse, and can't afford to tip someone making more than I've ever made in my life.

I don't know if other grocery stores here have better compliance or not. Here, Walmart is more affordable, especially if you're unwilling/unable to run store to store.

Vero kinda dies after midnight if not a bit before. I just noticed Walmart is now open until 11:00 PM so... I reckon I'll give it another (3rd) try once closing time hits midnight or 1:00 AM.

• socks
    3 years ago

Wednesday, I know you were upset. I believe you will be fine so don't worry. Having had had a couple concerning incidents myself, I understand.

I rarely see anyone without a mask here in So. Calif. That said, I don't get out much either!

• terilyn
    3 years ago

I see people without masks every time I am out. I am sure they are trying to make a statement.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I haven't been inside Walmart since some time in February. Normal times, I would typically go about every 6 weeks and stock up on things for my mother. Their prices better on products she uses daily.

Any time I've driven by, the parking lot (quite large) has been completely full and that doesn't make me want to go inside.

I've instead been ordering her things from Walmart online. Packages delivered UPS within 2-5 days. Although a FedEx driver surprised me with part of my last order on Sunday. Early morning, I was still in my robe ;0)

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I see non mask wearers here all the time. I have to go out and get some liquid nails, gravy and stuffing as the last two items didn't come in my delivery today from Wal-Mart. I'm probably going to go to Save A Lot, which is a small store I can run in and out of quickly. And Lowes, in the next town over as there was a little more mask compliance there than in our local hardware stores.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago

"a FedEx driver surprised me with part of my last order"

FedEx does the majority of my Walmart(dot)com orders. Although USPS brought me part of an order Monday. FedEx is bringing me the rest today (Wednesday).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Every time I go to the grocery there is one or two, and (as I had to this past week) in the big box home store there are always several.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

I'm impressed with my city and the citizen compliance with mask wearing.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

I stay out of WalMart unless there is absolutely no other choice, like I am starving to death and every other store is closed. There is something about that place that attracts oddballs.

people have been very good around me. Always masked in the stores and many when walking outside. I keep mine on until I get back to my car where I douse my hands in sanitizer and then take it off.

• always1stepbehind
    3 years ago

Well when the people who are not wearing a mask to make a statement end up on a ventilator, they can put up a little sign that says "i did it my way"...bunch of idiots, geez.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Lots of non-maskers here who once they go through the door simply remove the mask. I am unaware of a Walmart distribution center in this area but when a couple of months ago I noticed my catfood ordered on Amazon was coming from Walmart I switched. The deliveries are now being done via DoorDash.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    3 years ago

I think our Walmart checks at the door if you are wearing a mask--if not you don't get in.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I popped into one local chain today and the person at the Thanksgiving pick up table called out "Ma'am" and pointed to her mask. I'd forgotten mine in the car! So glad she reminded me. I was more concerned with putting up my jacket hood against the rain and completely forgot the mask.

• Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

I haven't seen a whole lot of people anywhere who completely don't wear masks. I usually see a few who pull it below their nose. I find that rude. I don't go to Walmart very often. I went last week to get some nonfood items before the holiday rush. We live in a pretty decent area. The Walmart folks were behaving.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

FWIW, I do curbside pickup at Walmart exclusively. They have excellent service, no fees and it's pretty fast too. Their app has gotten really glitchy lately, but I can order online at their website on my computer and that works fine. I just back in and they place my things in my trunk - employees are always masked.

Earlier this year, hubby told me about being in a local health food store and witnessing a man sneeze right onto a shelf of toiletry products, then turn and smile sheepishly. This was before mask mandates in our town.

We have no statewide orders, and our governor, in his infinite wisdom, has forbidden local government from enacting penalties for those violating safety protocols, so it's a free-for-all here. Way too many folks out & about, congregating w/o masks or distancing. I'm becoming quite anxious about it.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

I live outside Erie, Pennsylvania. Since March I have only gone to the Walmart in a small town near me, masks on everyone and not crowded. Masks are supposed to be worn when out in public in my state. Yesterday I had a drive up order at Target near the city and I also needed some satin polyurethane for a piece of furniture I am refinishing for my daughter. They were supposed to have some in the big Walmart near Target so I went in. Wore a kn95 mask. It was crowded and I saw quite a few with no mask or with it pulled down. Won't be going there again.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Masks to enter stores are strictly enforced here. People drop their masks below their noses or take in a gulp of air occasionally but I haven't seen anyone without a face covering indoors for several months now. I did see one woman coughing her head off while putting her groceries on the conveyer belt at a self check out a while back. She was masked but I moved to another checkout. But I have always done that around potentially ill people.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

As of last weekend masks are mandatory and I haven't seen anyone not wearing one since but compliance was pretty high before.

I was in BBB a couple of days ago and in line at the cashier. I was wearing a mask as was the lady behind me but the lady behind her had hers under her nose while wondering the store and then put the whole thing under her chin when in line. The lady behind me called her on it and told her to back up if she wasn't going to wear her mask. She made some snarky remark but did back up. I was surprised that staff said nothing,

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

The lady behind me called her on it

Yeah that'd be great to be stuck in a line and have somebody uncovered come up behind you and stand there breathing on and around you.

The general situation really has become too dangerous for so many to be so careless and foolish. And is rapidly getting worse.

• happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

Everyone around here has been masked and distanced for months.

• Debby
    3 years ago

I work in a drugstore that does asymptomatic covid testing for travel. Ask me what I haven't seen.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

At many of the stores around here there are arrows in aisles and, usually red, lines 6 ft./2 metres apart on spaces leading to cashiers, or pairs of plastic shoes decals. Several stores and banks have those separation lines outside, almost always with a person limiting numbers allowed to enter.

Our province had low numbers of illness till recently, and there used to be quite a few maskless, but much larger emphasis on masking and more compliance recently, and substantial increase in numbers showing illness. Maybe indicating substantial numbers were celebrating our Thanksgiving, a month and a half ago.

Quite a number especially youth having large house parties, and now fines for participants and large fines for sponsors, but rather limited number of compliance officers.

ole joyful

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Drove to the post office to mail a bill and back today. As before, quite a few people out walking by themselves and in groups with no sign of masks being present. Except for one young couple(?) walking a small dog.

I didn't look to see if the dog had a mask on.

Also a group of pre teen kids out together in a driveway and then later along the side of the road, nearby. Attending adult was visible out in the driveway on the way back, with one or two kids still where she now was.

No masks on any of these faces, even on the adult.

This is just who I happened to see today, on my short trip.

As long as the Cloud Cuckoo Land denial behavior continues to be commonly demonstrated the virus is going to continue to cut a wide swath.

• jill302
    3 years ago

Thankfully in my county masks are required indoors and have been for a few months. I have not seen anyone shopping without a mask since they were mandated. Twice I have seen retail sales clerks with shields only, I assume that they have a medical issue of some sort. From what I understand the shields are fairly useless unless used with masks but at least they were making some effort. I was over 15 feet away from the shield wearers so I was not overly concerned but I would not want to get closer.

Outdoors masks are only required in busier areas, where you are going to be closer to others. When I am walking fellow walkers are fairly good about using their mask when they approach others, as well as keeping enough of a distance. Overall I do not have a lot of complaints related to masking.

More of a issue, our neighbors hosted a wedding on their back terrace a couple of weeks ago. I would guess there were at least 75 guests. The party went on for about 7 hours. It appeared to be a good party with food, drink and dancing. Both of our houses back up to a ravine, so we are not close enough to have any concern about being infected but this event did make me uncomfortable on a community level.

• wednesday morning
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is required to be wearing a mask as you enter the store and she was the only one that I saw who was not wearing one. I live in an area that has a general compliance with what needs to be done. This is the first time I have encountered someone who was so obvious, and coughing.

She looked, to me, as if she could be one of those folks who you would deem to be unhealthy just to look at her.

What good to tell management? Confronting someone like that is way above the pay level of the employees in the store. What are they going to do, call the police? What would the law enforcement officers be expected to do, wrestle with her?

The truth is that almost all of these requirements about mask wearing and not traveling and limits on gatherings is voluntary, mostly. There just is no way that most of this can be enforced.

I certainly don't expect a WM employee to be in this position of having to deal with this. It must be a real issue for those who are in retail management. It puts them into a job that they never applied for and really can't be expected to have to deal with. The local law enforcement is in much the same situation. They don't expect to deal with bio hazards such as a spewing non masked customer in a store. They are armed with guns, not hazard suits.

I am not sure how these folks can be dealt with and I suspect that most of these incidents go unchallenged just because of the hazards of doing so.

It unnerved me and I wont go back into WM and try to stay out of all stores except for groceries until this has an end in sight.

The WM was probably crowded with food shoppers. I had a different list. The truth is that, when you want something that is just basic, WM is the best place to look for it. I really wanted another pair fleece pants that are just plain old real cotton/poly fleece pull on pants. It has becomes so hard to find those old fashioned things like that. Most are just thin and cold feeling fabric and are quite expensive. I did manage to find one pair at Target a couple of weeks ago, but they are not the basic old fashioned stuff. These darned things have large tassels on the drawcords! WTF!!!! I will be cutting those off. That is why I was at WM. They have these basic things.

I wont' be walking through those doors for a good long time. Target is rarely as crowded and has a different crowd, generally. Even then, only if it is really imperative and it probably wont be.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I stopped in to our local teeny bakery yesterday, and was chatting with the wonderful employee. Only 2 people allowed in the store at one time, and the other day a young woman opened the door and attempted to come in. One of the 2 gentlemen being served said that it's 2 people only. (Sign prominently displayed, saying so). smh

She threw a hissy fit and said that she won't be spending her money at that store, she'll go elsewhere. LOL

Another time another young female opened the door and marched in sans mask, saying "I'm exempt!" like it was a badge of honour. The store wouldn't let her in without one.

At one time stores couldn't refuse people, but now that we're in the Red zone, they're not letting anyone in. Even if they say they left the mask in the car they're told to go and get it.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

Wednesday morning, you sound sensible and have made a sensible decision. I see frequent non mask wearers when at various stores, and I have thus far kept my mouth shut but have been increasingly becoming almost emboldened about saying something. A friend of mine had a similar experience to yours when at the grocery store, only it was an elderly man hunched over his shopping cart coughing and coughing without a mask on. She bolted to another aisle. The only place I ever say anything is at the hospital I work at. We have started allowing one guest with our pre-op patients and many times they have the mask off or under their nose when I enter the room. I politely ask them to pull it up or put it on, but you can tell they are offended. I just don't get it. I live in a county that had 50 cases in mid August and now we are nearing 700!! Our small hospital has been forced to admit "less serious" covid patients that previously we would have shipped to a higher level of care. But those beds are not available anymore. Why wouldn't anyone not want to protect at least themselves, even if they don't give a carp about anyone else?

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I rarely see anyone without a mask, but I see way to many wearing it under their nose. 😠

Other than giving them the stink eye I don't say anything to them if they are customers, but if they are store employees I do speak up.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Wal Mart has been claimed in the past to have employees appear and escort visitors wearing union shirts out the door. If they can do that, they can do something about visitors violating masking requirements.

Shields do of course nothing to filter the breath, as has been shown on another thread here. Same as with bandannas, scarves or anything else worn open at the bottom.

Another thing I saw while on my trip yesterday was an elderly woman going down the edge of the road on a bicycle, again with no mask. On my way back she stopped on the shoulder and turned to watch me go past. Right where there was a couple of adults and a child doing something nearby.

I don't think they were masked either.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

If one adheres to the 6' social distancing guidelines, wearing a mask when outside on your own is just an abundance of caution, not a requirement. I never wear a mask when walking the dog but then I rarely encounter anyone else and when I do, we give each other a wide berth.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Eventually it was determined that a breeze blowing in the right direction might carry infective material 20'.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

If 6' is the recommended social distancing spacing indoors and one does any indoor shopping or errands, then I can't see why increasing that distance outdoors is necessary. A lot more chances for any vapors to dissipate. Personally, it is not a concern I would worry about.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I don't wear mine walking outside. Even if I walk with a friend, neither of us wear them, but we do walk apart. She's a firm believer that it's not necessary when outdoors. f I meet someone else, I give a wide berth.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Scientists have warned for months that the virus could be spread through tiny aerosols that spread farther and hang in the air longer than previously believed. The World Health Organization, lobbied by hundreds of scientists, made the acknowledgement two months ago.

COVID-19: CDC updates, then backs off guidance on airborne spread (usatoday.com)

(Note: contains several videos that run when page is opened)

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I swim at a small private/public pool several days a week. A small group of us (6) rented the pool and an instructor for water therapy classes. We'd all been in a larger group together but felt we wanted more protection the small class provides - distancing and we agreed no talking, etc during our time in the pool. On the first day of our new class, one of the participants kept coughing, which made me nervous, so I left. I talked to her after and she assured me it's just a chronic asthma cough.

Although she is older and living alone..not going anywhere but the pool, she does have family living next door with small children that she sees. I told her she may be confident that she doesn't have covid, but if she should pick it up somehow, coughing is the very best way to spread it to the rest of us. We cannot wear masks in the pool, even though none of us puts our face in the water, she agreed to wear a shield. I know it doesn't fully trap the droplets, but it will divert most of them down into the water (she's up to her neck in the water). The room is large, so there is a large volume of air, too, so I feel fairly safe. We'll see if I am.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

She's a firm believer that it's not necessary when outdoors.

Belief doesn't equal facts.

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

When I go to the store, I put a cough drop in my mouth because I will get that dang tickle cough if I am in the store. It seems that wearing the mask exacerbates that issue too. Luckily it's only hit me once in the store since all this happened. I was at a walmart checking out when it hit. I stifled it as best as I could, I don't believe it was bad enough to cause a scene. It happens! I always keep cough drops and a clean handkerchief in my pocket for quick access just for that emergency. UGH! I do have on my mask, but put the handkerchief over the mask too.