Well, pardon me! And Happy Thanksgiving!

petalique

While tidying up the kitchen, I caught a glimpse of POTUS45 with Corn and Cob — the two birds he was ready to pardon after his bit of folksy speak.

His coloring and health look okay, so that’s good. Corn and Cob were getting anxious — would he show.

Great to see them have a reprieve (even though a few at the Pentagon want to enlist them to help replace the unique air sniffing (nuclear tests) jets recently deemed “excess equipment” and sent out for scrap or bid With no replacement equipment able to be ordered

I will give this holiday compliment to POTUS45 — he is unmatched at pardoning turkeys.

It is only Tuesday afternoon, but I want to wish every one of you a relaxing and enjoyable Thanksgiving. If you are Vegan or vegetarian, I just came across a delicious storyboard recipe for cauliflower sharwarma. But it can be used for any protein or vegetable and is not singularly ethnic.

https://www.maureenabood.com/roasted-cauliflower-shawarma/

She's got an interesting blog with lots of good recipes, photos and stories.

SaveComment15Like3
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petalique

I don’t know about any of that, LoneJack.

Here is one tom that came by for his daily stuffing. He let two orphaned poults adopt him a month or so ago. Either the huge bobcat, coyotes, or hunters got the hen (“mom”). The other four poults got snatched up months ago. Sad, but they declined my offer to move in. The two remaining poults - youngsters are large enough to be able to make it through the winter. It’s been a very dry summer and fall with not much around for wildlife and birds. I put water out and a bit of seed. I don’t want to attract the undesirables.

4 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I wasn't trying to get political, just my rather poor attempt at humor!

I had a group of a dozen or so toms stroll thru my yard yesterday morning. There was one tom that kept bullying another one relentlessly. Not sure what that was about.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
Lucille

I wasn't trying to get political, just my rather poor attempt at humor!

I hope the pardon wasn't sent by mail, with all the late holiday deliveries. If it isn't there by Thanksgiving midnight,.............

5 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
Embothrium

Opening sentence of original post actually mentions three turkeys.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
petalique

You folks are on your toes.

For the three turkeys coming to our yard — they crack me up. I think that tom is a 1.5 year old that was one of the chick poults I befriended. He comes to the window and gives me the hairy eyeball. I wave and he sees me. I go out, shake the plastic jar of seeds, ask if he’d like some treats. He stays 4-5 ft. away and we walk together to the feed - scratch - water area where I put down seed in a few places to spare their bickering. We stay 5-7 feet apart. He’s read up on the novel coronavirus and recommended social distancing with those tot in his tight bubble of kin.

I’ve been feeding wild birds and turkeys for years, and completely get that they are wild critters with razor sharp spurs and an automatic pilot primitive brain designed for survival, not paling around with foolish humans. Ever see that excellent PBS series, “My Life As A Turkey?” I recommend it.

Something I’ve seen for the first time in southern New England is a beautiful Carolina Wren. We get lots of house wrens spring to summer. And I’ve seen a winter wren at my feeders and gardens before. This is a first for a Carolina Wren making an appearance at the peanut butter suet block for three weeks bowl. White eye stripe, Buffy chest, his Bill seems more curved that that of the HW or WW. I’ve also seen several purple finches. Of course the local hawks notice all of this.

Carolina wren (not my photo — borrowed from online site, forgot where, sorry)

5 Likes Save    
socks

Best wishes to you, petalique, and everyone here.

Drove by Honey Baked Ham store a couple hours ago. Line was a couple blocks long because people were distancing. Not my idea of fun. No turkey is worth that.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
petalique

Oh, my! That’s awful, Socks. But some people work long hours and may be somewhat pressured to make do by standing in long lines. No my idea of a holiday, but if I was a hardworking parent with children and very little free time, I’d likely be in a line. This out of control pandemic is going to bring a lot of economic and societal havoc and hurt. So much unnecessary suffering and damage.

Socks, I hope you have as good a Thanksgiving as possible. We are going to keep things simple.

2 Likes Save    
gmatx zone 6

We're keeping things simple, too. Just DH and me. Fixing a small turkey breast wrapped in bacon, dressing, green beans, gravy and sharing a piece of German Chocolate cake.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving. For those traveling, be safe.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
functionthenlook

The turkey defrosting in my fridge sure didn't get a pardon. We are going to gobble gobble him up. Sorry, couldn't resist.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
patriciae_gw

This thing of pardoning Trukeys has always confused me. What did they do? Reprieve is another matter.

1 Like Save     Thanked by petalique
petalique

Our turkeys don’t look or appear to feel guilty of anything.

I was reading about the type of turkeys pardoned. They are bred to be harvested for consumption and will not live very long on at whatever estate they end up living out their short lives.

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

That turkey breed sounds like the Cornish Cross and Cornish Rock chicken breeds that go from chick to freezer in about 6 weeks. If let go too long they either have a heart attack or break a leg because they are too fat.

Save    
chisue

Thanks to all for the amusement today! I don't have to SEE you to enjoy the conversation around this table.

I hope your wren has a long, sweet repertoire, petalique. We had lengthy concerts from a pair that nested near our home many years ago. (Or is it only the male that sings?)

Last night we tried a catered 'turkey dinner' our senior center was providing. It was a LOT of food, but pretty 'meh'. We wanted to taste the result of our contributions. I'll be sending DH to the store for a small breast to cook over the weekend. DS and family are staying in their bubble, as are we.

1 Like Save    
wednesday morning

Pardoning turkeys, indeed1

Let us hope that these dark past four years are at a close.

Sadly, I think probably not.

Now, about that growing volcano out West................. or, maybe not. Another day, maybe.

Life is short and there are no guarantees. . Wear comfortable clothes and eat as you please.

Save    
Embothrium

If let go too long they either have a heart attack or break a leg because they are too fat.

Are we still talking about poultry?

Wear comfortable clothes and eat as you please.

Doing too much of the second may result in the first becoming more difficult.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Does Your Home Make You Happy?
How to design an interior that speaks to your heart as well as your eyes
Full Story
Fall and Thanksgiving It's Black and White and Fall All Over in a Holiday-Happy Home
Get inspired for budget-friendly fall decorating by a resourceful stylist's thrifty but sophisticated adornments
Full Story
Life Show Us Your Thanksgiving Fails
On some holidays you are just thankful when it’s over
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More