SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur03

After affects of the virus

maifleur03
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

There was a news article originally from the Washington Post about the after affects on various news sites. I have been of the opinion for quite some time if the health experts would do more than just mention that a few people have after affects and what they are more people would be inclined to wear masks. While not what the problems are not mentioned it does mention 20-30% of people after having the virus cleared from their bodies are still having problems. Previously if even mentioned 1% was the normal amount. Even if 10% of those figures have life long health problems that is a lot of people who may never return to a normal life style.

Since it is toward the end of the month people probably have used up their free access for the month but here is an excerpt from the piece. You will probably be able to find it on your normal news sited. "A percentage of people who recover from Covid-19 experience a set of symptoms – a post Covid syndrome – that is raising concern, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a live video interview with The Washington Post national political reporter Robert Costa on Monday. For people who get seriously ill and are in an ICU intubated on ventilation, “even if it isn’t Covid-19, anyone that goes through that is not going to feel perfectly normal for a considerable period of time,” Fauci said. “But there’s something else that’s going on with Covid-19,” he continued. Even in people who haven’t necessarily had serious disease, Fauci said that they are finding anywhere from 20% to maybe 30% of people who have had symptomatic disease “have what’s called a post-Covid syndrome.” The exact percentage isn’t known yet, but a larger cohort study is being done, he said."

Comments (31)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

If you like a website that, like many newspapers, limits access to so many times every such and such a time period, you can either clear the cache of your regular browser or use a different browser to set the counter back to zero.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

This is the issue that terrifies me the most about Covid, personally. I don't have any comorbidities. I am middle aged, active, etc., but who knows who wins the Covid lottery of a lifetime of misery. Plus of course being 50 something and healthy is no guarantee of not dying either. Thank goodness for all the money we have spent over the years on vaccination research and production. Having three potential vaccines ready soon is such a relief.

• Related Discussions

Weird affect after repotting Dracenas!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, this can happen after repotting. I am not entirely sure what, exactly, occurs but I suspect it is caused by the roots not being able to take up water. For me this effect occurs most often when I get anxious and repot in the winter when the plants aren't growing much. My guess is that the act of transplanting tears off the fine roots (you may not even notice them) and leaves the thicker roots intact. It is the fine roots that do most of the water/nutrient gathering. When transplanting during a period of growth these roots easily and quickly regenerate, but when transplanting during a 'snooze' I suspect they do not quickly regenerate and the plant dehydrates. This will cause leaf drop and in severe cases the stems can go soft and the plant fall over. All the above is my guess, I really do not know if it is correct, it's just based upon my observation of what Dracaena and some others often do when winter transplanted.
    ...See More

Does 'after hours' light affect phrag. blooming?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Whitecat, I am talking about outside balcony lighting (100w flood lights) that I use for an hour or two at a time when I go out in the evenings to work on Bonsai or the orchid collection. Martin Motes once told me that Cattleyas could have their blooming cycles thrown off by upsetting the length of their days with things light security light that stay on for long periods of time during the evening hours. I am just curious if phrags could have the same type of reaction. -Ray-
    ...See More

rose-rosette-virus-now-affecting-North Carolina-roses/

Q

Comments (1)
    . . . wriiter is about ten years late with the news.
    ...See More

missing driver file after virus scan

Q

Comments (17)
    Here is some information I got from a colleague of mine. As far as using a borrowed disc: "The only problem may be that if the installed system has had a Service Pack added to it, the disk will need to be the same or there'll be no Repair option, just reinstallation. In other words, if the system is at SP3 level, a WIN2000 SP2 disk won't work". There have been 4 service packs, so it's more than possible! Windows key: will you need it? "As far as keys is concerned, it depends. Sometimes yes. sometimes no. I think it depends on which Service Pack has been installed and whether the key data is accessible when doing the repair". See link for additional info. CLICK HERE
    ...See More
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

Dr. Fauci's comments regarding lingering after effects are Dr. Fauci's comments here on the CNN website too, I'd just read them there. No access limit. It's about midway through the article.

ETA: I sort of mixed up the placement of my link, but still readable I think. So sorry, I'm making dinner at the same time and cannot seem to do two things at once these days ;0)

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Unfortunately, those who refuse to take this virus seriously will not be swayed by the long-hauler effect of the virus.

• bpath
    3 years ago

A new thread of discussion on one of my local groups is about hair loss after Covid. Now THAT might get some people’s attention.

• maifleur03
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Either last week or the week before there was also a news story that showed briefly on the page I sign in for mail. It talked about younger people loosing teeth. One mother mentioned her son had a mild case of the virus but a couple of months later he mentioned there was a loose tooth. In touching it the tooth fell out with no blood being seen. I am withholding judgement until there is more study because in the past there have been reports of oddities with several diseases where the information turned out to be false.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

A few months ago Alyssa Milano (actress) shared a video of clumps and strands of hair coming out when she brushed her hair. She contacted Covid and this was one of the serious consequences.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

I am withholding judgement until there is more study because in the past there have been reports of oddities with several diseases where the information turned out to be false.

However it is already known that COVID is all over the place with what it does and to whom. And although hope of effective vaccination of the general public fairly soon has appeared recently the virus is also continuing to cut a swathe with increasing fury, with millions of new cases now being seen over short periods of time.

Meanwhile I continue to see people all around me being careless every time I go out. At the grocery the cashier leaned over and stuck her face in the opening for the conveyor belt at the bottom of the plexiglass barrier because she couldn't hear me. Right in front of where I was standing and loading the contents of my cart onto the belt.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

There was a story on 60 Minutes last night on this very topic. It's worth a watch.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Long term effects due to various viruses have been around forever. They are not exclusive to Covid 19. Before immunizations measles could cause blindness, encephalitis, pneumonia and hearing loss. However most of the population of us who lived through that era came out OK. Same with the poxes from chicken pox, shingles etc. Cold and flu viruses can cause myocarditis, pneumonia, RSRA, Reye syndrome and even Guillen Barres disease but we don't go into a panic every time we catch a sniffle. A whole generation who had strep infections faced potential permanent damage to their heart before antibiotic treatment became the norm. But many of us have fought off strep illnesses without even being symptomatic. Our bodies are exposed to potential threats daily. Fortunately we have immune systems that work pretty well much of the time or we would be constantly in a state of illness. The only really novel thing about this virus is it is a newly discovered strain of Corona.

The panic news and the alarmist media helps no one. Even if people don't get ill, the stress on their mental health is showing, even here on this forum. Anxiety and the stress hormones released have been shown to have not only mental but physical consequences with digestive ailments, headaches, and even the suppression of the immune system. In the end the majority of people who have had this virus will go on with their lives without long term effects. Just like the human race has always done.

Be extra careful, stay happy, worry less.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

Re - Bluebells comment - Yes, 60 Minutes had a really good segment on this. The doctor that Anderson Cooper was interviewing had covid and was still, months later, experiencing fatigue and migraine headaches. She works at Mount Sinai hospital and they have set up a separate unit offering rehab, and testing to help these specific people.

On our news tonight a 29 year old young man had covid in May, never got over the fatigue and then started to cough up blood. He is still not fully recovered.

And now instead of just worrying about my mom, now I'm worrying about my 30-something sons and their partners.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

You start to die the you are born. Nobody on the planet avoids it. It is very sad that so many seem to die before their time. From stillborn babies to children with cancers, to people with with bad hearts and bad lungs. People die in tragic accidents and people live with lifelong, chronic illnesses at times praying for death to take them. Parents lose their children. Families lose their loved ones. No is happy. But mentally healthy people know they must move on and live with the grief and eventually find some measure of happiness in LIFE. I never said the side effects are normal. I said they are not exclusive to this virus. The only thing exclusive to it is the constant fear mongering and the fact that we know relatively little about it compared to other deadly things. Just like the confusion about what caused polio in the past. Being realistic isn't being heartless. it's just knowing that panic and sitting around waiting for magical solution is a waste of time better spent living.

In the last 3 years I lost different friends much younger than me, and both in good health and active. One who went to bed healthy and died in her sleep. The other had a silent heart attack. I have another friend whose husband still in his 60s also who was fit and in excellent health, had a stroke watching TV and died an hour or so later last year. I am pretty sure they would not have wanted to waste their time left living by hunkering down watching the news ,looking for as many frightful reason to simply exist, waiting for a cure.

Negativity versus positivity. Free choice.

• jane__ny
    3 years ago

Having a heart attack or stroke was not a choice. Could have taken precautions to prevent that happening by diet or weight loss, but many die from it anyway, despite being 'healthy.'

Dying the moment you are born is true but hopefully you have a long life before that happens. Same with accidents. However, we do take precautions to prevent that from happening. Seat belts, good tires, not drinking/drugs while driving. We could get hit in the head from a brick falling off a building, can't do much about that.

I don't get your point.

We can take precautions in the hope we don't have to deal with an unknown virus. You make that sound like its its a stupid idea. Avoiding Covid is a choice to be careful or not. Dying in a car accident can happen even with seat belts.

I've lost friends and relatives to heart attacks and strokes. These were healthy people who had no idea they had these possibilities.

Covid is a choice. Either protect yourself or take your chances and hope you come through it intact.

Wildchild, I really don't understand what point you are trying to make.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Where do I say we shouldn't take precautions? I just said obsessing over every what if is counter productive to much of anything. It's bad for a person's mental health. My point is the fear has overtaken common sense and the media and even some politicians are capitalizing on it.

It seems that many relish the fear and all the negative news. When someone posts something positive relating how they had it and are doing just fine they are treated as outcasts. How dare they get well and have no ill effects. It doesn't feed the drama craving I observe.

Everything I posted about long term effects of other viruses was true and is still true to this day. In the end when as better treatments are discovered and maybe a vaccine this virus will end up being as significant or insignificant as all the previous deadly illnesses. Bottom line is a lot of people will get this virus. Most will recover and some will not. Recently more people are testing positive who have been staying in. but unless you can subsist with zero outside contact with the outside world , and that includes food deliveries etc. then anyone can get this virus. Meanwhile I choose to breath fresh air and enjoy what life I have. Sorry some find that so upsetting. Life is what we make of it.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

I am old enough to remember the terror polio caused and my parents insisting on the only precautions possible--no going to children's movie matinees, no going to public pools. We saw pictures of children in iron lungs. We weren't stupid and didn't believe in tempting fate.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    3 years ago

I watched it on 60 minutes. scary

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Complications of influenza per the CDC. Really sounds familiar to another current dz.

Sinus and ear infections are examples of moderate complications from flu, while pneumonia is a serious flu complication that can result from either influenza virus infection alone or from co-infection of flu virus and bacteria. Other possible serious complications triggered by flu can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscle (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure). Flu virus infection of the respiratory tract can trigger an extreme inflammatory response in the body and can lead to sepsis, the body’s life-threatening response to infection. Flu also can make chronic medical problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have flu, and people with chronic heart disease may experience a worsening of this condition triggered by flu.

High risk people

This includes people 65 years and older, people of any age with certain chronic medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), pregnant women and children younger than 5 years, but especially those younger than 2 years old.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Read an interview with a musician yesterday: “I often resent that feeling of being pulled in different directions, but without that pull, life is like a guitar string that’s not taut,” she concludes. “A loose string makes a terrible sound.

I see value in Maifleur and Wildchild's posts, so a big "Thank you" to both. Take it seriously, take extra care to keep yourself and your community safe. Even if you & your loved ones are lucky, other people will not be.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Good points Wildchild. I appreciate your perspective.

• chisue
    3 years ago

Talk to medical personnel about it being a 'free choice' whether to mask and take precautions to prevent the spread. There's no need to get paranoid about it, but who laughs in the face of a *pandemic*?

Even the 'rugged individuals' who settled America knew how to cooperate (or die) as members of a wagon train. We endured YEARS of privation to get to the ends of WWI and WWII.

THIS has a known end in sight. We can make a difference in the carnage before we have vaccines.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Oh great...yet another long term effect of the disease: Tooth loss

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/health/covid-teeth-falling-out.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR2F7L41DbOI57XHGgftgddMjoYDUYrO86Vv2vFOnqSaL2UiTaQRY6e8y7k

Earlier this month, Farah Khemili popped a wintergreen breath mint in her mouth and noticed a strange sensation: a bottom tooth wiggling against her tongue.

Ms. Khemili, 43, of Voorheesville, N.Y., had never lost an adult tooth. She touched the tooth to confirm it was loose, initially thinking the problem might be the mint. The next day, the tooth flew out of her mouth and into her hand. There was neither blood nor pain.

Ms. Khemili survived a bout with Covid-19 this spring, and has joined an online support group as she has endured a slew of symptoms experienced by many other “long haulers”: brain fog, muscle aches and nerve pain.

There’s no rigorous evidence yet that the infection can lead to tooth loss or related problems. But among members of her support group, she found others who also described teeth falling out, as well as sensitive gums and teeth turning gray or chipping.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

The virus characteristically accumulates wherever there is mucus in the body. Hence cardiovascular and pulmonary problems in particular being seen early in the pandemic. But with the syndrome not being limited to those areas, when all cases are considered.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Anne, you conveniently forgot the most important sentence. The first sentence.

" People who already have dental problem may see them aggravated by encounters with coronavirus, some experts suggest"

Also the common cold is a coronavirus. Women who already have dental problems may see them aggravated by pregnancy. Yes, I could go on and on listing illnesses that can aggravate dental problems , but I am in the middle of cooking for my family.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Talk to medical personnel about it being a 'free choice' whether to mask and take precautions to prevent the spread. There's no need to get paranoid about it, but who laughs in the face of a *pandemic*?

Even the 'rugged individuals' who settled America knew how to cooperate (or die) as members of a wagon train. We endured YEARS of privation to get to the ends of WWI and WWII.

THIS has a known end in sight. We can make a difference in the carnage before we have vaccines.

Well said chisue!

• maifleur03
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess that apparently tooth loss is to be expected in women from the statement above. Except other reports show that it is happening in males also. One of the first reports of tooth lost that I saw about two weeks ago never mentioned women but male teens. Apparently they were pregnant.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Maifleur, apparently you also conveniently forgot. I also said I could go on and one with other illness that cause dental problems in people with chronic dental problems.

• maifleur03
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Except function keep watching because when this story broke the people who lost teeth were healthy and had no known preexisting conditions. I do question why you decided to only list women. Is it perhaps a bias that we are weak and disease prone? Or just not as good as men.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

Maifleur,

Thank you so much for bringing current information that is concerning so that all of us are aware.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Maifleur, I only used one example. It just happened to be female. The rest of my comment did not mention any reference to sex. How in the heck that you got that I am bias out of that is farfetched. Actually I feel women are stronger that males. They have a higher survival rate at birth and on the average live longer.

I am referring to the article that Anne posted the link to. Why don't you post the link to the article your taking about that shows people without any prior dental problems losing teeth.

• chisue
    3 years ago

If there was ever an incentive to loose weight, isn't Covid-19 just the ticket!

It's impossible not to notice the obesity and near-obesity when families show photos of their recently deceased loved ones. Often the families are also very clearly overweight, right down to the children.

Obesity is one of the things expert Micheal Osterholm (U of MN) often mention as a huge underlying problem that preceded the virus as a public health issue in America.