Tub Leveling: Mud vs Self-Leveling?

NoviceDIYer
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Professional Plumbers/Tub Installers/Bathroom Remodelers

Project:

Tub installation prep to ensure level tub

Issue:

~35 sqft secondary bathroom’s OSB subfloor is both flat and level from left to right across the bathroom if standing in doorway; although from the rear wall to the door, the subfloor is flat but not level.

Insight:
I planned to address the slope beneath the tub by increasing the thickness of the mud on the drain/left side to ensure that the tub will be level. While researching, I have come across individuals using self-leveling to completely resolve the sloping. I am both familiar and comfortable with required prep before using self-leveling but have found that there are generally not many self-leveling options that are OSB-compatible - especially lightweight items beyond Custom Building Products’ LevelLite (and recommended primer).

Question:

1. For those who have used self-leveling over OSB: what product (manufacturer and name) was used?
  2. What mud product (manufacturer and name) was used over the self-leveling?
  3. Would you simply recommend that I stick with using a thicker mudd bed to ensure tub will be level? In other words, would use of self-leveling be overkill?

Note:

1. The tub’s alcove is on the left side of the bathroom if standing in the doorway.
  2. The replacement tub will be a left-drain alcove tub made of acrylic; mud will be used to set the tub given it will be acrylic.
  3. Given the slope, the drain (left) side of the tub will be lower than the right side if the slope is not addressed: the right side of the tub will butt against the rear wall.
  4. I do not intend to level the entire OSB subfloor, but rather only intend to address the area beneath the tub.
  5. Subject bathroom is on a third floor above grade.
  6. The floor joists are generally 16 o.c., some are actually closer.
  7. OSB subfloor is single-panel (no stacking) and nominally 3/4” thick.
  8. The rear wall is actually a “party wall” between my interior townhome and another townhome.
  9. There are no structural issues, just standard settling.

Comments (9)