SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Drunken Duck: for Plllog and All

caroline94535
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

In the original book this recipe was titled “Aromatic Duck” I christened it “Drunk Duck.” It’s a long process and is copied as it was written.

Makes four servings (Not really; but then we love duck!)

1 duckling, about 5 lbs. Fresh or frozen (thawed)

2 teaspoons black peppercorns

1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 bay leaves, crumbled or snipped small

6 whole cloves

1 Tablespoon course Kosher salt

1 Tablespoon brown Sugar

1 Tablespoon Brandy (I use more. Recipe said gin, vodka, or brandy)

1 garlic clove, peeled (I use more)

(I use more of all the spices.)

Optional for presentation: 5-6 large, neat red cabbage leaves.

Cut off the duck’s wing tips; wrap up with the giblets to freeze for future stock making.

Pull out and discard (or freeze to render) loose interior fat.

Rinse the duckling inside and out and pat dry.

Mix together in a spice mill or mortar - the pepper, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, and salt. Grind to a fine texture.

Combine ground spices in a small dish with the brown sugar and brandy.

Place duck in a snug-fitting heavy plastic bag. Rub half the spice/brandy mixture inside the duck, the remainder on the outside. Place the garlic in the duck’s cavity.

Close the bag tightly and refrigerate for about 24 hours, turning the duck, rubbing the surface, and squeezing in the spices when ever you happen to think of it.

Remove the duck from the bag and pat it dry. Set it on a cake rack, set on a plate, and return, uncovered, to the refrigerator for about 24 hours, turning once.

Pat the duck with paper towels if any moist spots remain. Let it reach room temperature, which takes about two hours.

Preheat oven to 300°F Using a large needle and white cotton thread, sew closed the neck and tail openings.

Set duck on its side on a rack set in a roasting pan. Roast 45 minutes.

Then, with a large needle prick the fatty parts on the upper side. Do not prick deeply enough to pierce the flesh. Using wadded up paper towels to protect your hands, hold the duck’s legs and turn it to the other side.

Increase the heat to 350° and roast 30 minutes. Prick the fatty parts on the upturned side and turn the duck onto its breast. The back will be facing up.

Roast 25 minutes longer. Then prick the upturned side (now the duck’s back) Turn the duck breast upward.

Increase the heat to 400° and roast for 30 minutes longer, or until the duck is deeply browned and most of the fat has melted off.

Remove from the oven and let cool 1-2 hours before carving and serving.

To serve: Using a heavy cleaver or poultry shears, cut through the flesh and bone of the duck to make 12-14 serving pieces. Cut carefully, keeping the skin nearly intact on each piece. (I cut larger pieces)

Spread the cabbage leaves on a platter and arrange the duck on them.

If you prefer duck that is sizzling hot, you can easily heat the pieces. Arrange the cut pieces in a pan in a single layer, cut side down, and roast in a 350° oven for 15 minutes until hot.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts