Stationary bikes

fran1523

I just read the post about purchases you've made and regretted, I'm thinking of buying a stationary bicycle and am afraid it may end up in that category I'm not a good walker because of my arthritis but I can ride a bicycle. I really want something to help me get my heart pumping. Anybody have any experience with them. I'm thinking of the type that has the option of moving your arms as well as your legs would be best. I could try to commit to 20 minutes a day and then work up.

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpath

You might like a Nu-Step. It’s easier to get on and off, and you can use your arms. It’s the only exercise machine my dad kept on using, his elliptical and treadmill moved to our house.

Save     Thanked by fran1523
summersrhythm_z6a

If you want to moving your arms as well, may be an elliptical would be better, it’s easier on your knees too.

Martha Scott

My husband INSISTED upon buy-in a recumbent bicycle and then INSISTED on putting it in the living room. That was in April last year. He's used it like maybe 5 times. On New Years Day, I wrote in the dust on the back "1/1/20" and it's still there. I HATE it in my living room (it's not like that is the only place to put it but he thinks so) and would like to get rid of it but I know he would protest so it stays and I trip over parts of it whenever I clean house.

And this has happened to EVERY piece of exercise equipment we've ever bought -- at most it's a week and a half of use.

I would suggest trying to find a gym near you rather than buying something for your house.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by fran1523
jupidupi

When I was a lot younger and dated a few older men, I made the observation that most single men over 40 have a stationary bike in their bedroom -- that they use for hanging clothes.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by fran1523
C Marlin

Why not buy a regular bike, you can enjoy the scenery outside?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by fran1523
eld6161

I have had both a stationary bike and a treadmill. I suggest you buy good quality as it makes a difference.

I did use both for a while. But.... the treadmill was used between dogs. When my golden passed. Four years later, we got another dog. We just recently gave it away.

I used the bike for years, but realized it hurt my sciatica. I think a recumbent bike is the best choice for older people. I gave the bike away.

There are different philosophies about exercise. I am think for an older person, elliptical is not the best choice.

glenda_al

Have one similar to this!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by fran1523
Lindsey_CA

"You might like a Nu-Step. It’s easier to get on and off, and you can use your arms. It’s the only exercise machine my dad kept on using, his elliptical and treadmill moved to our house."

Yes! I second the suggestion for a NuStep. After my mini heart attack and cardiac stent in 2018, I went through Cardiac Rehab at the hospital. They had treadmills, stationary bikes, and NuStep machines. I liked the NuStep so much that I bought one.

Lars

I have an elliptical machine in the living room:

and I use it almost every day that I am in Los Angeles. I use pool weights when we are in Cathedral City, or else just swim.

I felt bad about putting this in the living room, but we almost never have guests any more, and I think I use it more where it is than I would if it were in the office. The office doubles as a guest room, and that option would not be possible if the machine were in there.

This machine is very quiet and very nice to use. I also have bicycles and could ride them here more, but I get more bored riding bikes on the same streets all the time. When we lived in Venice, we were a couple of blocks from the Marina Del Rey bike path, and not far from Venice Beach, and so I rode my bike almost every day there. I did get tired of it after 15 years, however, especially since the tourist traffic seemed to increase while I was living there.

We also have two nice bikes in Cathedral City but haven't ridden them yet, as we were waiting for cooler weather. We can exercise in the pool when it is hot and ride bikes when it is cool. There is a cemetery close to our house where Frank Sinatra (and lots of other celebrities) is buried, and that makes a nice bike ride for me, although it is less than a mile from the house. It is also a landmark we use to help us find our way to our house.

1 Like Save     Thanked by fran1523
morz8

How I would love a pool in which to exercise without getting dressed and driving to the gym to only get wet, then shower and start over. Not likely to happen though.

My exercise bike won't be helpful information. I do ride it, not as regularly lately as I should be but maybe I'll turn a leaf and get back into the morning habit. When I had my virtual checkup with my doctor last month, he said gardening and outdoor activities are beginning to be rained out, 'get back on your bike!'

I have it here in my office, facing the garden window, also my monitor where I can peddle & watch live cams, the deer in my yard, even television. Its a vintage DP Pacer I've had for decades. DH did replace the seat for me with something a little cushier ;0) A basic bike with no frills other than I can increase or decrease the amount of exertion needed for the pedals. Time to dust it off and get busy again.

fran1523

I wish a regular bike was an option but November through April are not biking weather here in New England. I also live on the side of a quite steep hill. I did ride in Florida when I spent winters there. I do have a finished basement where I work at my quilting hobby and there is plenty of room for a bike so it will go there. I'm down there at least four days a week anyway.

Save    
dedtired

I had a stationary bike. My son used it, I rarely did. I really disliked it. I might have a ridden a recumbent bike. It would have been more comfortable. I finally gave the other one away.

Save    
Save    
norar_il

DH had to have a recumbent exercise bike. He set it up in the living room. The little grands liked playing on it, but no one else did. I eventually moved it into his den where it gathered clothes and dust. I finally moved it into an outbuilding where maybe the mice ride on it. He still won't sell it. I used to have a treadmill which had essentially the same fate. We live in the country where people will stop and pick up an item by the side of the road. Hopefully the treadmill found a good home.

Save    
2pups4me

My mom (88) rides her recumbent bike every day. It’s close to the ground so I am less concerned with her falling off of it. DH bought a rowing machine (NordicTrack) in the spring and he loves it. I prefer the elliptical, but it’s nice to have options. Our winters are waaaayyyyy too long here in NE Ohio.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Take Your Decor for a Bike Ride
Get your design wheels spinning with furniture, art and accessories that celebrate the bicycle
Full Story
Most Popular 7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Garage
Stop fearing that dirty dumping ground and start using it as the streamlined garage you’ve been wanting
Full Story
Home Offices 8 Twists on the Guest Room-Office Combo
In these clever spaces, the TV or computer can play while company's away
Full Story