Today in History.....

Jasdip

What do you think was the most popular question on most people's lips and minds on this date in 1980??

SaveComment45Like
Comments (45)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carabubble

Guessing what the new balloon/s will be in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?

(= can’t come up with a smart guess)

Save    
bpath

Aww, I cheated. And I should have known it!

Save    
hallngarden

Yes,I cheated also, think about it folks

Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

I have no idea where I was in 1980, much less what folks were talking about!!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

All I remember about 1980 was that I got married and Mount St. Helen's blew up! Almost simultaneously. That should have told me something......... :-)

7 Likes Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Alexa already told me as today's trivia. I remember it well.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I was a senior in high school back then. I had to google it.

Save    
bpath

Gardengal, my graduation was the same day!

Save    
georgysmom2

I cheated, too....never would have guessed it!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I also looked it up as nothing came to mind at all. That is something that would never have crossed my radar even then so I don't feel left out not knowing :-)

Save    
carabubble

Hint? Would rather try to guess than looking it up straightway.

Save    
aok27502

Oh, I googled. Never would have got it. That was not on my radar, either.

Save    
Jim Mat

Was a trivia question on my local radio. 83 million

Save    
Rusty

I confess, I also Googled it. Never in a hundred years would I have guessed it, or even come close. Wasn't interested in it then, not interested in it now. Never understood it's appeal to so many people. But, as always, 'different strokes for different folks' is a good thing. . . . . . .

Rusty

Save    
Jasdip

Hint: It has to do with an actor. Nothing to do with politics or real-life situations. I'm trying to think of a subtle hint.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

A not very subtle hint: who shot...........?????

Save    
adellabedella_usa

Lol! That last hint gave it away.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Definitely more than a hint!

Save    
Lindsey_CA

My first thought, before getting down to this hint, was that it would have something to do with President Kennedy being shot, but that was November 22, 1963. So, thinking back to 1980, it had to be...

Who shot JR?

Save    
dedtired

Another cheater here. Looks like there were two big events that day. One was horrific.

Save    
bpath

The fire is the first one that came up my my search.

Save    
Lars

I was in Mexico City at that time and was not paying much attention to the news. Also, I did not watch TV then.

The Irpinia, Italy earthquake happened November 23, 1980, which is just two days off.

Save    
roxsol

My first thought was it has something to do with Eric Clapton 😀

🎶

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy

All around in my home town

They're trying to track me down…

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

OMG!! If it had anything to do with Eric Clapton, I would have known and committed it to memory!! And 'I shot the sheriff' predated November 1980 by a few years :-)

3 Likes Save    
salonva

Wow never ever would have guessed it. Sigh,,, I loved that show. A few years ago, I even had the song as my ringtone. :)

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The great Bob Marley wrote I Shot The Sheriff. Released in '73 (I looked up the date) and I prefer his versions. It was written to be performed with the normal reggae arrangement and rhythms of his other songs. I'm a big Clapton fan (I saw Cream live a handful of times if that says anything) but for my taste his cover version lacks the color and excitement present when performed by Marley.

Save    
matthias_lang

I never did l watch that show, so did not care one whit about the cliffhanger. What was on my mind at the time was finishing up the job I was working, and trying to find another. I was also distinctly not looking forward to the upcoming presidency.

Save    
roxsol

Elmer, I was’t old enough to see Cream live :( and they were only together for a short time. 1966 to 1968, (I looked it up). You were fortunate to see them several times! I remember my older sister having a poster of them.

I like both versions of the song.

eta So who did shoot JR?

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I've been fortunate to see Clapton in concert 3 times but as a solo act. Have always had a bit of thing about him :-)

And I like both versions of the song as well. I also like Aerosmith's cover of 'Come Together'. If I like the artist and they do a good job with it, it works for me!!

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I must have stopped watching that program because I don't remember anything but the hoopla about that event.

All respect to Clapton but I agree with Elmer, I prefer Marley's version. I don't remember exactly when I heard either version but likely heard Eric's before Bob's.

Save    
Judy Good

What a great question! Also Eric Clapton is one of my all time favorites. Did not go to many concerts, but he is one I would have seen.

Save    
Jasdip

Oh, I guess we'd better make it clear that the question was. Who Shot J.R.? Today was the day that millions of people tuned in to Dallas to find out.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Nice one, jasdip.

Back to Cream, I was a big fan then and still enjoy listening to their albums AND periodically watching their 2005 Reunion concerts at Royal Albert Hall. One of the first super-groups, three great musicians who really proved that 1+1+1 working together with great chemistry can add up to much more than 3.

Two of my favorite Cream songs had titles that made no immediate sense and for which no internet existed at the time as an info source, SWLABR and NSU. The first I'd looked up ages ago it still made little sense. The second I just looked up now and had a good laugh. I knew of a medical term with the same three letters and it turns out what's what they had in mind. Two very good songs. If you're curious what the second is about, it's a condition the word for which is the first syllable of Eric's last name.

Save    
georgysmom2

A number of things came up in my search including the MGM Grand fire but as soon as I saw Who shot JR, I knew that was what you were referring to.

Save    
roxsol

Actually, I knew what you were referring to as well. I was just having a bit of fun and what a great conversation about music we have had. It seems to have brought about some great memories. :)

Fun thread.

Save    
mdln

Visited Southfork Ranch in Tx, where Dallas was filmed. IRL the house, rooms, and pool are small! They talked about filming techniques to make spaces appear larger.

Save    
Lars

I do remember now someone mentioning to me about "Who shot J.R.?" and I said, "Who is J.R.?"

I was living in San Francisco at the time, and no one I knew there cared.

Save    
Olychick

Not that I would know any of the characters because I never watched the show, but did they ever reveal who shot JR?

Save    
Lars

My guess is that they did not.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

I never knew a single person who watched the show.

Save    
Jasdip

Haha Elmer, I just looked it up. Eric was suffering from it at the time he wrote the song. He's a great song-writer and guitarist.

JR's sister-in-law (and lover) shot him, it was widely known. I watched a few episodes of the re-vamped Dallas a few years ago but it was terrible and got cancelled. Bobby Ewing was in it, as was Larry Hagman, who died at the time.

It's amazing how camera angles and tricks were used even then to make places appear larger. So many houses appeared large yet were actually quite small.

Save    
Elizabeth

I knew who shot J.R. before the episode was even aired. Only one cast member was not returning to the show for the following season. I did enjoy the series at the time.

Save    
carabubble

I watched the show with my parents but then lost track of it when I went away to college. I remember my mother was so angry about the Dream Season* that she never watched the show again.

*The whole season was just a dream of Pam Ewing’s and none of the things really happened.

Save    
Elizabeth

I remember the dream season. Patrick was back from the dead. The show soured after that.

1 Like Save    
salonva

I was totally addicted to that show but yes, when they did the dream season to bring him back, that show lost it for me, I think I still watched it, but my Friday nights did not have the same appeal. *and I believe this was before we had VCR's. They might have been in existence (and BetaMax) but for sure they were not common.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides A Brief History of Headboards
They once nuzzled the heads of pharaohs, but today's headboards can make anyone feel pampered in the bedroom
Full Story
Green Building Championing the Solar House, From the 1930s to Today
Homes throughout history that have used the sun offer ideas for net-zero and passive homes of the present, in a new book by Anthony Denzer
Full Story
Decorating Guides A Short History of the Sunburst Mirror
Learn the origins and uses of this popular, captivating home decor item
Full Story
Ark Woodworking builds European cabinetry for any room in the house. Kitchens, libraries, mudrooms, and bars to... Read More
Our 20+ years of experience in custom home building combined with our in-house design service assures you a... Read More