SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjb84

Time for me to get serious about my kitchen plan, help me sort it out!

kjb84
3 years ago

Here are the listing photos from when we bought the house, all is essentially unchanged. This is our reality in terms of natural light, overall footprint, and flooring. We will either refinish the existing hardwood or replace it with new hardwood (along with the tile you can see that's in the front of the house), either way, the stain will remain a medium brown.

I have elevations.

We intend to go with Shiloh cabinets, in a flush inset door, likely a modified Shaker type. We have been considering a green stained finish called Moss. This is the sample that I ordered.

FRF Kitchen · More Info

Questions:

1. Should we use this green all over the kitchen? Should we restrict it to the island? Do the island in something different? If we do another finish, what do you all suggest? We had been thinking of another stain, but will that just look like too much wood? In another thread, a lighter stain on Alder was suggested - something like the Shiloh stains Dusty Road or White Sands. Worried about how it would look with our red oak floors.

2. We want to replace the patio door, and re-think the trim and wood paneling that is currently there. What would look good?

3. Lighting needs to be totally updated - new fixture in eat-in area, new fixture over island, over sink, and what else? Bulkhead is being eliminated. Should we stick with recessed or do something else? What type of under-cabinet lighting?

4. What metal tones should we go for? We have been considering pewter.

5. Countertops - especially if doing green, I am thinking it should be simple. I love natural stone, but I think we need to let the cabinets be the star. I have been thinking of a neutral, creamy/warm white quartz, even though I am not a quartz super-fan. I don't think this kitchen supports clean white or cool gray tones, so I'm trying to steer toward warmth.

Here are my current guesses as to what might work:

Top: Eternia Summerside

Middle: Caesarstone Taj Royale

Bottom: Caesarstone Buttermilk

What would look good in this space?

Thanks!!!

Comments (14)