SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Help me decide on my open Great Room floor plan! (kitchen included)

homey_bird
8 years ago

Hi,

I originally posted on this thread about my plan. It was suggested that I post the entire floor plan for better critique, therefore here it is. I am also copy-pasting list of considerations here, so folks do not have to switch back+forth.

Family: 2 adults, 1 kid and a dog, entertain and cook a lot. Entertain 2-3 compact families at a time. Cook all sorts of food, mainly stir fries and stovetop cooking. Little baking.

I am coming to this from a narrow, 8x13 closed galley kitchen which is disconnected from L+D except for one door. So, while I've always wanted an open plan, I have doubts about it working, because I've not lived in one in real life. (I am actively trying to think if any of my friends have it, and plan to visit them to see in person, but currently my only source is Houzz pictures). This is where I need help, in figuring out if it will work for me or not, and whether there's another option.

Some requirements:

1. No cooktop in the island, ideally not even a sink in the island.
  2. At least 5ft counterspace that's hidden inside a pantry/closet to hide appliances (and Buehl and I have discussed possibility of a closet with counters for this; which I am pursuing.)
  3. Island seating AND a dining table + chairs needed.
  4. Plenty of storage. (I am thinking that if I get island as prep surface, I do not need other counterspace. But I would like to hear others' experiences) -- Wall to floor cabinets when possible.
  5. We hate countertop clutter. So everything that sits on a countertop needs to be hidden. My usual appliances are: rice cooker, blender, food chopper or processor, toaster. Currently I have a toaster oven (Breville) that I use as a regular oven. A kitchenaid mixer is very much in the future (may bake more in future).
  6. A note about my Breville: My family is small, so Breville is my "main" oven. I will get Range-Oven for the sake of resale, but will either prefer a built-in small oven, or Breville will be in the hidden spot as described in #5.
  7. More of a timeless look than a trendy look (should not have to remodel the kitchen to sell). We value longevity in anything and often are willing to spend $$'s to avoid future maintenance headaches.
  8. House style: modern, clean lines, stucco exterior, sloped roof.
  9. We love wood stain, so the kitchen cabinets will be stained not painted.

Nice to haves:

1. Sink facing a window (side yard facing ok).
  2. Waterfall edge on island (but then I wonder, is it a trend?)
  3. A kitchen that does not look disproportionately small compared to rest of Great Room.

Option #1: (Full plan): (the lowest part of this plan that looks like a corridor connects to a garage thus not included). Entry is on the lower middle, top is facing covered porch and a backyard. Note that this is not final kitchen plan either;

Constraints: Winodws can be moved (it will be a gut remodel), however no walls EXCEPT top wall can be moved. Only up to 20 linear ft of top wall can be moved. We can add upto 50+sqft in terms of area.

Here is the full plan. Note:

1. Kitchen isle width is 5ft; I think it's a bit much, I am considering making it 42"-45".

2. My main concerns/fears for this plan are: this kitchen will look disproportionately small given the size of the kitchen relative to the rest of the L + D. However, if I decide to make island substantial to "balance" the kitchen size, then I lose the space for island seating, and may have to bring dining table closer to Living, which in turn will look like a furniture warehouse. Note that these are fears, perhaps irrational, but I want to have discussion to help me figure if this impression is true.

Constraints for this plan: for the sake of this configuration, assume that no exterior walls can move. Left, right walls are side yard, top wall faces a covered porch and backyard thereafter. We can relocate the windows. We also may be able to relocated W+D elsewhere if that room can be claimed by the kitchen.

Entry dimensions are under review and likely will become a bit smaller, but rest of the house layout is pretty close to desired.

Option #2 that I am toying with (this makes use of bumpout footage and bumps ~5ft in top left corner. It reduces width of Living (top right) by 2 ft to avoid square footage overage:

My concerns for this plan:

1. Kitchen now faces L sideways. Will it look asthetically strange? (Imagine sitting on a couch in L).
  2. Dining bumpout is barely enough to fit a dinner table.

Benefits of this space are, more seating at island, Waterfall edge will look really pretty here, and people can run 2 different conversations at dining and living and host can participate in everything (which is where I will be!)

Help me decide!! Any inspiration pictures will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Comments (16)