SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Supplements for prevention of covid

Tina Marie
3 years ago

This was mentioned in another thread but I thought I'd start a new one. Are you taking any supplements to help prevent Covid or either to diminish Covid symptoms (if you've had Covid)?

I always take Elderberry throughout the fall/winter season as there are studies that show it helps prevent/lessen flu/flu symptoms. The elderberry gummies I take (used to take syrup till this year) include zinc. We've also added Vitamin D and now starting melatonin.

Anyone else?

melatonin

Comments (62)

• OllieJane
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Tina, I never took supplements either before Covid. I'm sure it probably does does prevent 30%. Who knows for sure, for sure. My DH and DS and I fell into the 70% and got it though. They didn't take the melatonin or Vitamin D-only the Multivitamin with Zinc. It tried to get them too. Not sure how long I will continue taking the supplements after Covid is GONE-fingers crossed!

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Is a post missing? Deleted or flagged?

eta: Nevermind, I see its on another thread

• Related Discussions

Tomatoes fail as prostate cancer preventive

Q

Comments (12)
    You got that right that the FDA cannot be trusted! Look at all the products that drug companies have turned out that proved to be very harmful, including thalodomide, and how healthy can it be to inject botulism into your lips, but the "experts" all pronounced these drugs and treatments as "safe", they also recommended formula for babies over breast milk, and then there are the hormones and antibiotics that dairy cows are given, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. For years the researchers out on the fringes talked about free radicals and it sounded like somebody's fantasy, but, lo and behold, even the medical profession has had to acknowledge that it's been proven. It's a revolving door in D.C. anyway, from the AMA to corporations to the gov't. I didn't know that lycopene had been looked at for preventing prostate cancer- I've only heard of it in relation to colon cancer and that runs in my family, so I'm glad I like tomatoes! I do think it's really hard to get products that are truly natural or organic- there's so much pollution- the air, the land, the water. Sorry if I dinned your ears! It's been proved too many times- you can't trust the gov't! Brandy
    ...See More

What's your favorite fiber supplement?

Q

Comments (67)
    snookums - I usually split my ghee order between regular and cultured. Cultured ghee has a mild (tangy) fermented flavor, but not a whole lot of difference between it and regular. You would want to use cultured ghee (or cultured butter for that matter, if you make or purchase it) as a spread, not in baked goods, since heat destroys the "good" bacteria from being cultured. That's why I never heat-process homemade sauerkraut. I'll freeze it, but won't home-can it, to preserve the good bacteria. And you're right about the high price of Kerrygold butter. We just use less....to compensate for the higher price, but believe the health benefits are worth it (even on my $125/month food budget for 2 adults). TIP: If you are buttering pancakes/waffles, toast, etc., if you melt a small amount of butter first, apply it with a pastry brush, you'll use MUCH less than if you spread it with a knife. I buy less-expensive butter at Aldi for baking and often use a blend of coconut oil and butter in baked goods. Coconut oil is expensive, too, when you compare it to butter prices (although butter prices just went up a couple months ago). The nice thing about coconut oil is that you can use up to 25% less in many recipes, than the amount of fat it's being substituted for, and get the same results. I also blend natural peanut butter (purchased or homemade) 50/50 with softened coconut oil; keep it in a canning jar at room temperature and use it as a spread. Sometimes I'll add a little sweetener to the mix (coconut palm nectar, molasses, honey, golden syrup, maple syrup, sorghum syrup, all will work). If you get a sugar craving, slowly eat up to 1-T. of this mixture (or even plain coconut oil). I start with a teaspoonful and the craving will usually go away.
    ...See More

Good news! Covid edition

Q

Comments (30)
    Last night I was looking on both my mayor and governor's fb sites something that I suggest everyone do to receive a sense of what other people are thinking. There are so many that think because there are enough vaccinated that masking should be discarded and everything reopened as it was before this started. One of the main "what are they thinking" things was about not having a "vaccine passport". While not many places, yet, want to see that you have been vaccinated the card that you are given is what places that ask want to see. It is also no different than a child's immunization record that I understand some schools want to see. I saw that Germany now requires a negative test before entering the country. Several of the more positive sites mention once 70-80 percent of the population have been vaccinated things can start to return to normal. With the number of anti-vac group it is unlikely the 70 percent will be reached much less the 80 percent. Then there is the small thing that the vaccine does not prevent the English or Brazilian strains. Think about what is being stated about these strains being no worse than the original ones. What does that mean to you?
    ...See More

Message from COVID unit Nurse

Q

Comments (56)
    Patriciae-gw, It seems to me that my comment wasn't the only one removed as yours from yesterday addressed to me is only just now showing up for me. Thank you, and sorry that I hadn't responded until now. I could have worded my upper thread comment better to be more concise but I didn't. I was actually repeating what medical staff have been saying for a year now, but I see now that it sounds like those are my words. The staff are worn out and this is how they feel when a person presents with a serious case of covid. I should have included that, but I think my frustration with people who don't take this seriously caused me to be short. Thus, the confusion. That's on me. mafluer03, Same, your comment to me did not show up until now, for me. Sorry I did not respond. Thank you for the well wishes and I too am hoping for a little reprieve/improvement having received the vaccine. We can hope. Again, sorry for confusion I caused. That was not my intent, but I did it. One of the several issues I am dealing with from covid aftereffects is stuff like this (comes and goes) and I think it might be best to refrain from commenting in the written word for a while.
    ...See More
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

...the melatonin. As in the sleep supplement some people take before bedtime?

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

If there was a cocktail for prevention, I would think the medical community that is overwhelmed by the increase in cases would have gladly recommended it by now.

Tina Marie thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

My immune system has been crap for a decade or more. I take all the supplements mentioned. Have never noticed a dramatic difference. Does it hurt, probably not. Does it help, perhaps a tiny bit. Supplements mentioned are also good for general health so help slightly with other problems of aging, etc. If you take excessive amounts of vitamins they are either going to have toxic side effects or get flushed down the toilet. Covid risk factors are many, and we don't even have a clear picture yet of all of what they are. Sooner or later we will probably identify some genetic factors as well. In general, I have a fussy immune system because both myself and my family tend to suffer from "inflammatory" conditions, which are caused by a combination of genetic and life style factors. Migraines and IBS are good examples. If you suffer from one, you are much more likely to suffer from the other. And then later arthritis.

These vitamin cures have made the rounds many times for a variety of ailments. Funny that air and water pollution and some pesticide residues aren't ever mentioned for the havoc they can wreak with your immune system. Free radicals are the pits!! That's what causes the aging process no matter what, so one can try and hold back the ocean, but all you are doing is slightly slowing it down, at best. And if your genes aren't your friend, then you have another big obstacle in your path. Still, one does what one can . . . That was my approach with migraines and is becoming my approach with the aches and pains of old age . . .

I'm not saying don't take supplements, particularly if you don't eat a varied diet, but those hawking them are just selling you placebos. As far as covid, wear masks, socially distance and wash your hands. All doable and all proven effective. And then sure, hydrate, take vitamins, exercise, eat right, sleep well, get sunlight, pray or meditate, pursue a hobby, get a pet, find a support network of people. All good for your immune system. My most difficult one to implement is hydration. I can't stand always having to go to the bathroom to pee.

Tina Marie thanked l pinkmountain
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago

Yes, Sea Sea.

Arapaho, not for prevention, but for helping with symptoms.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Arapaho, there are certain supplements that medical experts do think may help in the prevention of covid and/or decrease in symptoms. The article linked sites the Cleveland Clinic. However, just as in the linked article, they are going to tell you to check with your physician before taking.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I would also check recommended dosing. Taking too much is not good for your body or for your wallet. Also, research absorption, some things are better taken with food, some without, some early in the day, some later, etc. Some vitamins and foods counteract each other. Some forms of a vitamin are more easily absorbed than others. Calcium and magnesium are classic examples of this. Caveat emptor.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

not a supplement, but there seems to be a link between prior statin usage and a reduction in the severity of Covid and a shorter recovery time. I've been on high cholesterol meds for years and have finally found a silver lining to having to avoid (or at least hold back on) bacon.

Tina Marie thanked jojoco
  • jill302
    3 years ago

Take Vitamin D, I was low on a Vitamin D last blood test so I am on it for that reason. Take a low dose aspirin a couple times a week also at my doctor’s recommendation. That is pretty much it. I was taking a probiotic to help my gastrointestinal issues. It helped for a while and then it didn’t so I’ve stopped.

Tina Marie thanked jill302
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    3 years ago

I was just reading some medical emails and ran across an article talking about taking the exact items people have mentioned. I also thought the screen clip was interesting.

Tina Marie thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • roarah
    3 years ago

The MAB was the most important treatment the president got, also by far the costliest. Followed by the high dose steroids then the antiviral.

Tina Marie thanked roarah
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

Vitamin D and Vitamin B12.

Tina Marie thanked blfenton
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

A drop of oregano oil under the tongue is supposed to be anti-viral. But not to be taken every day as a preventative. Who knows if it works, but if my throat is a little scratchy for whatever reason, I do that and it feels better. But it's hot stuff baby!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24779581/

Tina Marie thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Not sure how the melatonin would help except if it gets you to sleep as sleep is restorative, and sleep deprivation makes you more vulnerable to illness.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Re Vitamin D and being deficient. My gyn prescribed it for me eons ago after blood work revealed I was deficient. I mentioned to him at a later check up that I’m not surprised I was deficient. I never get out in the sun. I don’t engage in outdoor activities at all. He said that not getting outside may not be the issue. There are some people who are Vitamin D deficient even though they get plenty of sun.

Tina Marie thanked bbstx
  • Caroline Hamilton
    3 years ago

I take echinacea, zinc, vitamin d, vitamin c and (now) melatonin daily. I have been doing this for years. I have an underlying condition where even getting a cold progresses to pneumonia quickly. I also run daily as it keeps my lungs clear. Since I started this regimen 6 years ago I have never even had a cold. I am a believer...

Tina Marie thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • runninginplace
    3 years ago

I believe supplements can help, as long as they have been researched and proven to be helpful. And as noted if not, one hasn't damaged your health by using them anyway.

I have added zinc and elderberry to my daily regimen of l-lysine for tissue regeneration primarily for canker sores, Ocuvite for vision as recommended by my optometrist, and D since ironically I run low even living on an island in the subtropics LOL.

FWIW when my husband and I were exposed to COVID the doctor at our test appointment specifically told us that we should be taking zinc and vitamin C because those have been shown to lessen the severity if infected.

Aside from the vitamins, I take no prescription drugs regularly, have no health issues, eat well in moderation, don't drink alcohol, exercise regularly and try to keep a regular sleep schedule. As a retiree I am blessed that my life is pretty stress free in general. I've always been healthy and very rarely get sick

Here is my skepticism at work:

Covid risk factors are many, and we don't even have a clear picture yet of all of what they are.

Exactly! So whensom e poor unfortunate COVID victim is described as having "no risk symptoms" my reaction is that it's utterly impossible to know based on a 2-minute tv clip or brief article whether that is true, especially since as noted this disease is so new that nobody really KNOWS what all the risk factors may be.

A seemingly healthy 45 year old who eats a crap diet, never exercises and has a hugely stressful life may in fact be more at risk than this retired 63-year old. Or s/he may be in superb physical condition. We don't know!

Tina Marie thanked runninginplace
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Annie, Olliesmom had some info on how melatonin works.

Bbstx, never outside? Really? I don’t sunbathe, and I wear sunscreen, but I make sure to get out without it too. I think I would dry up and wither if I couldn’t go out!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I take vitamins and supplements, but not to prevent COVID. It's a novel virus. There's no magic bullet.

I agree a lot of supplement hype is unproven, anecdotal and a great way to make money - or waste it.

I used to take a lot of stuff but have abandoned doing so after learning most of it is hooey.

I'm down to just a simple multivitamin, some calcium/magnesium and melatonin to help me get to sleep, and I take digestive enzymes. That's it.

I do grow elderberry and spilanthes and use them when I have a cold, but this year I haven't caught one yet. Probably mostly because I haven't been around any kids, or in stores, and have been masking and handwashing and disinfecting more surfaces.

Tina Marie thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

I remember at the beginning of all this, reading somewhere that sucking on zinc right when you first felt symptoms coming on killed the virus where it was multiplying before it got established. I have no idea if this makes any sense scientifically, but a couple of times, I've had a bit of a sore throat or a runny nose and done this (along with vit D and vit C), my symptoms haven't progressed.

As I said to a friend who scoffs at my claims of getting better with vitamins saying it's all in my head, I don't care if it is all in my head, I only care that I get better. It might not actually help, but as others have said above, the amounts I take aren't hurting me.

Tina Marie thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Springroz
    3 years ago

Knocking on wood before releasing this to the universe....

My DH says I have the immune system of a Healthy horse. I take Vit. ADK (one capsule), Zinc, Choline, a private label Calcium supplement that has more D, some boron and a few other minerals, a high dose of iodine, and enough magnesium to prevent calf cramps (varies by day) , and if the sun is out, I am IN IT.

I firmly believe skin cancers are NOT caused by the sun, but by our unhealthy diet and lack of vit. D.

When we drink city water, even if we were to get enough iodine in our diet, the halogens cancel out the iodine. I have told my iodine story before....I know it sounds kooky, but I have the proof. ( I will not repeat it unless someone would like to read it...it is long)

Tina Marie thanked Springroz
  • runninginplace
    3 years ago

I firmly believe skin cancers are NOT caused by the sun, but by our unhealthy diet and lack of vit. D.

Springroz, you may believe this but it is not true.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My skin cancer was caused by my teen years laying out in the sun coated with baby oil and iodine. Getting sunburned. My Vit D level (as far as I know, I have it tested now as an adult) has never been low.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Same here, Tina Marie. We baked here in the FL sun daily, with no sunscreen. When I was a kid, there wasn't much in the way of sunscreens either. I had many, many sunburns that peeled.

FWIW, I have more sun damage on my right side than my left - probably from always riding as a car passenger with the window open as a youngster - usually with my arm hanging out.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I wish I had success in boosting my immune system with all those supplements. I'm not saying they don't help some people, but I took them all in vain in an attempt to avoid months and months of sickness due to "the flu." Debilitating and I would have done anything to bring it to an end. My husband says, "Nothing works on you." as if I was willing it not to work. Quite the opposite . . . I've had a weakened immune system all my adult life and I have no idea why. A bout of pneumonia in jr. high may have weakened my lungs, along with some type of exposure, not sure what. Plus several debilitating bouts of flu early on in my adult life. Made me more susceptible for whatever reason . . . it's dogged me all my life and I have spent my life trying to figure out how to improve my immune system . . . there is nothing in particular that I can point to, like a dose of radiation or chemo like happens with some people. A lot of stress yes, but many folks have that . . . a history of inflammatory problems like IBS and migraines and now arthritis I think must point to some type of genetic weakness. Although everyone in both my parent's families lives to ripe old ages in general. But my lungs are constantly irritated, I cough every morning regardless of my overall health, there is congestion in the lungs. I imagine I might get COPD some day like my Dad. Never smoked and I fastidiously have avoided cigarette smoke all my life, I hate it. Have never lived anywhere particularly bad air quality, although some were somewhat bad but typical of most people's exposures. Been to doctors for doctors about it. No answers other than I am just a phlegm challenged person.

• roarah
    3 years ago

Some skin cancers are very linked to sun exposures but many Melanomas are more genetic and not due to sun exposure. A most deadly melanoma found in the nail bed is such a type not directly linked to sun exposure but most less deadly, kA, basil and squamous skin cancers are due to cellular damage from ultraviolet rays.

• User
    3 years ago

I have zinc and elderberry losenges that I use occasionally and I take melatonin every night to get to sleep. I also have the Vicks zinc product that I bought in the UK. When I feel a cold coming on I take large amounts Vitamin C and use the zinc products and they do seem to help. I have seen patterns of prescribing over the years that make me avoid anything that is recommended for seemingly everyone. Vitamin D comes under that heading, and over the past ten years it seems that half the population has at least been given a try out of gabapentin. It seems odd to me that a supplement or drug would actually be ”trendy” when it wasn’t before and isn’t any longer after something new comes out as a universal “cure for what ails you” tonic.

We walk our dogs daily or take them to the dog park so are out in the open every day. I have had many basal cells cancers but not all have been in areas that got lots of sun exposure. Heredity plays a part in those as well. But on hot days I wear a hat.

• mojomom
    3 years ago

Because of the clotting issues with the more severe cases, I started taking baby aspirin. I mentioned this to my doctor just in passing and his response was, “ not a bad idea.” I don’t have any bleeding issues that would contraindicate baby aspirin. I also take vitamin d supplements because I was a bit low last spring. Because of COVID, I am probably better at taking it than otherwise.

• Moxie
    3 years ago

Ivermectin was a surprise. It's an anti-parasitic. It's widely used for cattle. One of my cats needed injections of it many years ago. At that time is was not approved for use in humans in the US, but my vet said it was used off-label in developing countries with severe parasite problems, because it's relatively cheap and effective.

According to an article I found it also has anti-viral properties and shows promise in inhibiting SARS-CoV-2.

Link:

Ivermectin study shows ivermection inhibits SARS-CoV-2 in vitro.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I did a little looking on melatonin, and I didn't see anything conclusive either in testing or in any understanding of, if it works, why. Only an association.

https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/melatonin-a-promising-candidate-for-prevention-and-treatment-of-covid-19/

Specifically, they measured the proximity between SARS-CoV-2 host genes/proteins and those well-associated with 64 other diseases across several disease categories (malignant cancer and autoimmune, cardiovascular, metabolic, neurological and pulmonary diseases), where closer proximity indicates a higher likelihood of pathological associations between the diseases.

They found, for example, that proteins associated with respiratory distress syndrome and sepsis, two main causes of death in patients with severe COVID-19, were highly connected with multiple SARS-CoV-2 proteins. “This signals to us, then,” explained Dr. Cheng, “that a drug already approved to treat these respiratory conditions may have some utility in also treating COVID-19 by acting on those shared biological targets.”

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There are several articles I found online regarding the potential of melatonin for covid treatment. NHC had one, I remember. There was another article talking about using drugs/supplements we already have access to rather than waiting for testing of new drugs And melatonin was one mentioned. Apparently some physicians are recommending it. I’m not trying to convince anyone, but it’s something that may help, very low risk of side effects, etc. so I have decided to try it. Besides that, it may improve my sleep!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Tina Marie, I'm not being critical, but looking for evidence. Before I take something or give it to my DH which has potential side effects, I want to have some sense of what it does and how effective it might be.

The most common melatonin side effects include:

• Headache
    • Dizziness
    • Nausea
    • Drowsiness

Other, less common melatonin side effects might include short-lasting feelings of depression, mild tremor, mild anxiety, abdominal cramps, irritability, reduced alertness, confusion or disorientation, and abnormally low blood pressure (hypotension). Because melatonin can cause daytime drowsiness, don't drive or use machinery within five hours of taking the supplement.

In addition, melatonin supplements can interact with various medications, including:

• Anticoagulants and anti-platelet drugs
    • Anticonvulsants
    • Contraceptive drugs
    • Diabetes medications
    • Medications that suppress the immune system (immunosuppressants)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/melatonin-side-effects/faq-20057874

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Only side effect I have had with melatonin was drowsiness, which is a good thing for me. I take it at night before bed. Like Tina said, it has very low, if any side effects, so for me, it doesn't hurt to take it. I also asked my doctor about it, and she said it was fine. As with anything, if you are unsure, ask your doctor.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes of course Annie. My dr. knows everything I take. The only medications I take are allergy meds (seasonally) for a mold allergy. My husband takes zero meds and he has not decided if he is going to take melatonin or not. Olliesmom, I was told to take before bed and I got a very low doseage. What dose do you use?

And that's all I should probably say on Melatonin as I do not want to sound like I am arguing. I never take a med/supplement, etc. without researching what I am taking and it's side effects (even if my dr. prescribes it LOL!).

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Tina, this is the one I take. And I’m with you on meds and supplements-I research myself out of some!

Tina Marie thanked OllieJane
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago
    Tina Marie thanked terezosa / terriks
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Ivermectin? I used that for my acne rosacea. (It worked. Very expensive Px cream though.)

Zinc and oil of oregano both work for me to stave off a cold. Years ago, I'd take zinc supplements (10 mg?) but too many and I'd get an upset stomach as others mentioned. More recently, I adopted oil of oregano if I get a scratchy throat and it does work for me. Two days (max) and *poof*, gone. I've also used echinacea with the same result. But I've been vigilant about hand washing for years now so rarely get a cold. For all I know, these supplements might work for me because of the placebo effect. I'll always keep oil of oregano on hand though. :)

Melatonin surprises me. I had no clue our lung lining contained some. I'll read the scientific links shared to learn more. Thanks to all who shared links.

A colleague has been brushing off her risk of catching the virus because she "eats well and takes supplements". Her stance worries me because she's nonchalant about respecting our government's measures about social distancing, mask wearing and avoiding gatherings. She doesn't understand how her belief she's less vulnerable than most puts others at risk. :/.

And yes, if anyone is planning on taking daily vitamins or supplements, vet them with your doctor or pharmacist!

Tina Marie thanked tartanmeup
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

TM you don't sound like you are arguing at all! We're just having a discussion, different viewpoints can be enlightening!

OK I love this kind of stuff, and I am about to descend into serious weenie territory here . . . .

As I mentioned, since I have for so many years found myself in the clutches of a flu virus that would just NOT leave my body, I ended up spending quite a bit of time in the anti-viral, immune system boosting literature. Also since I am an herb and plant weenie, it dovetailed onto research I had already done on herbal supplements . . . so I was somewhat familiar with the biochemistry aspects of treatments. The trouble with the immune system and viruses is multifold and I only know the basics. The immune system is so complex. Who would have thunk that Irritable Bowel Sysdrome, arthritis and migraines would all be connected, AND connected to the immune system . . . and those are just the ones I am aware of, I'm sure many of you know of others.

One problem is that an "immune response" is not always a good thing, some people have to constantly try to tamp DOWN their immune system, they have to suppress the inflammation response, which is part of the immune system. On the flip side, if your immune system is suppressed you could get all kinds of diseases . . . and then there's the fact that viruses (unlike bacteria) "infect" your cells. It is very difficult to kill a virus without killing the cells that the virus is in. So your immune system is a multi-pronged response, killing the cells but also stimulating the remaining living cells to make changes that resist infection in the first place. Both responses could be good or bad.

Sometimes the response gets turned on and then doesn't turn off and that causes no end of problems. That's why an initial "infection" is often the catalyst for someone developing an immune system problem or weakness. Not to mention the fact that some viruses hide out in the body in a dormant state and then something triggers them to re-emerge, like chickenpox/herpes/shingles for example . . . cancer is also related to the immune system, what triggers the cells to go rogue and how to stop them?? That's why it is so ironic that Dr. Fauci is being criticized so vehemently. There was no trickier virus to tamp down than AIDS since it hid out in the immune system itself. That's why there were so many varied symptoms for the virus and why asymptomatic spread was so strong--people spread the virus long before they knew they had it. This is also the ironic part about sars-covid-19. On the one hand people need an immune response to fight it, but on the other hand, people are dying from the complications due to the immune response. Hence why steroids, which actually tamp down your immune response, are given to really sick patients . . .

That's also why you have to be careful with medicines, because it's a fine line between giving someone a medicine that strongly ramps up the immune response and then another that strongly tamps it down. Both types of medications can have serious complications. Doctor's have to fine tune this, with knowledge of what point the patient is in the course of the disease and what underlying conditions they might have . . .

So nothing wrong with generally boosting your immune system on the one hand, but if you get covid, chances are some of the worst complications will come from your body trying to fight it off . . . I have the same issue with some of my ailments. Some of the immune boosting herbs and supplements make me actually feel worse, since my immune system causes problems when it kicks in. For example, right now I am taking olive leaf to try and get rid of my constant sinus infections, and it's definitely causing an inflammatory response but not necessarily getting rid of the sinus viruses. That's why herbs failed me on this end, I discovered it is the nasal steroids that help, the ones that tamp down the response, not fire it up . . . . so it depends.

BTW, that's also the reason herbalists recommend taking two week courses of herbs like olive leaf, echinacea and even melatonin (which is not an herb). That way your body doesn't become accustomed to the new level of stimulation and adapt to tamp it down, but also so as to minimize the negative effects of stimulating your immune system. Alternates between the two . . . Sadly I know this all to well because if you take a seratonin inhibiting medications, often it works really well at the start, and then the body adapts and creates more seratonin receptors to compensate for the ones that got turned off . . . That is why doctors recommend starting with a low dose of melatonin, because your body does become accustomed to it after a while and you need to take higher and higher doses for the same effect. Those immune boosting herbs I mentioned make me feel worse, often triggering a bout of migraine or IBS and not necessarily affecting cells involved in a virus infection in my body.

I don't know about the use of melatonin for general immune health though, but at the bottom of the link that I shared it does caution against combining melatonin with other immune suppressing drugs. Again, sort of counter productive if melatonin is stimulating your immune system. That's why folks were so puzzled when T announced that he was taking both stimulating and suppressing drugs, it was confusing how they would work together and that is precisely what doctors are trying to figure out right now with a whole host of diseases. Covid research will benefit many other conditions . . . .

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/melatonin-for-sleep-does-it-work

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

olliesmom, I've been unable to find anything regarding children vs. adult and melatonin and lungs. If you could provide a link, it'd be appreciated.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Terri and Olliesmom. I got 5mg with the thought of starting at that and can increase to 10 mg.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

3 mg of melatonin gives me (too) vivid dreams. Be careful.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

I've had the best results with things like my migraines with using prebiotics and probiotics supporting gut bacteria. In my case I use simple things like flax and or olive oil and bananas but many people tout the benefits of kefir yogurt kimchi raw sauerkraut Etc.

There's lots of research about gut bacteria being the basis for most immune problems. A healthier gut is often healthier system in general they say. I don't know. I just know I get fewer migraines and they are less intense and my colds are more manageable.

For herbals I keep it simple and as close to the original thing as possible. I use raw garlic and ginger, and powdered sage tea.

I also use tinctures of echinacea angustafolia echinacea purpurea and goldenseal and oil of oregano. I too during the winter use elderberry syrup. My colds generally last 4 days. I have not had a flu in many many years.

I keep meaning to add curries to my diet as I love them but I can't eat curries out of a jar or premixed powder. There is something in them that bothers me. The difficulty is the ones that I have tried to make myself don't taste as good.

I also use the neti pot with their solution as soon as there is any sign of a cold. I'm very careful to make sure the water is thoroughly boiled for over 5 minutes of course I let it cool down so I don't burn my nose but I don't want to add any problems so I am careful.

Tina Marie thanked yeonassky
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Pinkmountain you are so right about how the immune system can be a friend or a foe.

It is thought that one of the reasons that so many young healthy people died during the 1918 flu is because cytokine storm brought on by their strong immune systems.

I believe that the reason why adequate Vitamin D levels are so important is because Vit D helps to regulate the immune system - first by ramping it up when a virus is first introduced into the body, then tamping it down so that the immune response doesn't attack the body.

Tina Marie thanked terezosa / terriks
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

One of the issues with Parkinson’s is “vivid dreams,” which DH has. His neurologist put him on melatonin to help with the dreams. This is the point I was getting to: they started him on 3mg for 2 weeks, then upped it to 5mg as his standard dose. He stayed on 5mg for several years, then they bumped him to 6mg. After a while, he went to 10mg, but was told that if it gave him any issues to go back to 6mg. He is currently on 10mg. He may need to ease back down to 6mg though. Last night he woke me up laughing out loud. I mean belly laughs like he had heard the funniest thing in the world. I didn’t wake him. I just couldn’t interrupt something that seemed to be so much fun.

Tina Marie thanked bbstx
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Yeonassky in one of my anti-inflammatory quests I started taking big doses of tumeric. Didn't do a thing for me so after taking it for over a month, and when the bottle was empty, I stopped. I still eat it in food regularly . . . fortunately I like it. Unlike fenugreek which I now take for the sinus issues. Does not hurt and some mild good effects.

I also tried very expensive d-Mannose for my chronic urinary tract inflammation . . . . like I said, I am hopeless, nothing seems to work . . . I also take probiotic, they are something I have undoubtedly seen good overall health results from . . . a healthy gut biome should not be underestimated as part of the immune system. I learned about the gut aspect of immunity long ago due to the connection between brain and gut biochemistry in migraines . . . .

I swear by melatonin for sleep, but it does tend to give me a melatonin "hangover" so to speak. Really weird because it only happens some times. I take 3 mg or cut in half. Hubs says anything less than 3 does nothing for him. He will take one or two of those . . .

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just couldn’t interrupt something that seemed to be so much fun. BBSTX that is so sweet. I hope he was just having a good ole dream!!

My dr. had me on singular a few years back - it's an asthma drug which apparently has had some success treating mold allergy. It never really did anything for me, but I did have some whopper dreams! Never nightmares, but wow! I went off it.

Here's another link I found interesting. It's from Eastern Virginia Medical School and details what they prescribe or use in the hospital for different levels of Covid patients.

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I had never heard of ivermectin. FASCINATING research review. Took me back to my college days in entomology class and remembering the truly gross and shocking review lecture given by our African teaching assistant about insect transmitted diseases in tropical regions. I vividly remember him saying, "People stereotype black people as not liking nature and nature recreation. You have to realize that in Africa, there is so much more stuff out in nature that can kill you in so many horrible ways . . . . "

Also interesting that ivermectin is a derivative of a compound found in soil. There is a universe in a teaspoon of soil! If I could get my PhD, it would be something regarding soil health and its relationship to plant health. Of course we are seeing now that the same holds true for animal health and human health. Lots of "big picture" thinkers in biology say it all boils down to soil . . . "dust thou art" and all . . . .

Also fascinating that so much of what works for AIDS shows promise of being therapeutic for Sars-covid-19. We are so blessed to have the same folks who fought AIDS working to combat sars-covid-19. Seems like ivermectin is one of those things that stimulates the immune system, but just enough to help and not hurt . . .

As a side note, supposedly olive leaf is also one of those compounds that modulates the immune response. I have a an odd relationship to it. Sometimes it seems to make me sick, and other times no effect, and sometimes a positive one . . . I am weird, I know . . . .

Fascinating how these doctors are trying to modulate the immune system. Really amazing people fighting this thing . . . .

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Thank you for discussing the immune system. I have 2 autoimmune disorders (they do seem to come in multiples, no?) and have often wondered about whether or not boosting the immune system is a good thing for me.

Seems as with all things in life, balance and moderation are key.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH