SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackjess2

Need advice for accent chair, rug, and decor for study/ den, please.

I am considering these accent chairs for this room in the empty corner.

The floors will be hardwood to match the foyer. I am considering an off white rug with a decorative chair or a patterned rug with a plain chair.

A large contemporary painting will go above sofa but I’m not sure what else.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The first photo is my inspiration photo.

Comments (62)

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KW, thank you! Yes, I am the artist but not an abstract artist. I thought abstract would look nice in that spot so I tried my hand at it, Lol! Not that easy, but I’ll try more. I took the lamp from another room. Unfortunately, I don’t think the chair I like will work, too big for the space and scale for the room. I’ll have to keep looking. Thank you for your input!

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Well if you determined the chair you liked is too big because you made a template to see floor space needs then that’s a good thing! You’re not stuck with a chair that doesn’t work & you have a better idea of what to look for in accent chair sizes. I wondered if a white wooden rocker with some upholstery on it would fit if it’s the width that’s the problem. Many rockers have shorter rockers so they don’t rock back as far or need the floor space longer rockers take up. Might be cute with your desk chair & coffee table bench.

• Related Discussions

My sofa is here! I need help with accent chairs/pillows please!

Q

Comments (28)
    I like the blue in the room better than the browns in the last edition of pictures. The blue cleans it up a bit more. Both chairs are pretty colors. Could you add some navy in addition to the more muted colors that you like. Or maybe a very light soft blue/turquoise grey. The TV images are adding color to the room that may be distracting my evaluation, lol.
    ...See More

IN NEED OF MAJOR DECORATING ADVICE

Q

Comments (76)
    Oh, yay! You replaced the loveseat with two chairs. And the art is great! You are totally on a roll here. That art really belongs over the mantel. If the light is too strong, it means you need better window coverings. If you do hang it on that wall, hang it just about where you have it propped, maybe one or two inches above the chairs. Do I see a fake plant peeking out from the entertainment center? It doesn't belong in your new stylish room. Add maybe one red pillow on the couch, something pretty plain so it doesn't compete with the art.
    ...See More

Need advice for decorating octogonal breakfast room

Q

Comments (65)
    Ted - You have my taste down 100%. This is gorgeous. It has an Art Deco vibe. It looks like something Hercule Poirot would have in his apartment (do you know the show? You can watch it on Britbox, which is a channel on Amazon Prime. I love the way he dresses, and I love his apartment). Btw, we have a 60” round area rug that we put in the breakfast room, to see how a 60” table would feel. We moved the chairs out to where they would be with the 60” table as well. We are in a quandry - the 60” table would make the room feel much grander, more significant - I was shocked at the difference! It made the room feel much larger, which seemed so counter-intuitive to me. So, yes, would be gorgeous. But this is the quandry - there is just me and hubby and it might feel really strange having 4 empty chairs at every meal. We have a good sized dining room so we don’t need the extra seating. Also, with a 60” table, additional furniture might (not sure) be a tiny bit cramped. However, we don’t need additional furniture - but the option (like the crate and barrel one you just sent) is so nice to have. It’s a hard decision. So, that’s where we are right now... trying to figure out which size table to get. What do you think?
    ...See More

Decorating Ideas for Chairs and Area rug, please!!

Q

Comments (26)
    Sorry found chair on Pinterest and turns out blog is 6 years old. I searched Lee Industries for the chair, but must be discontinued. Here are others from their site. At least you may have a feel for what you want and can shop around. Leather is also a good choice with a dog
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KW, OMG! This was another idea although I didn’t put it in my post: I had two wicker chairs in my living room before I repurposed it. One, I had painted and covered for my bedroom, the other a rocker, has been in my basement. Thank you for validation! Now I think I could paint it white and maybe cover it with the fabric of the chair I like! The fabric is available on Wayfair. Win, win!

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Love your art, but it's a little too high, bring it down a little.

I think adding the wicker chairs is a great idea!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think the angle of the photo is distorting the position of the painting. The center is 60” from the floor. Thank you for your validation of the wicker chair!

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

jackjess2,, OMG is right! 😁 Great minds think alike! I do love to repurpose things inside my home - it‘s fun & I think, creative, gives things a new look & sometimes gives me just the attitude adjustment I need. Love both of your wicker chairs & either one will look great with that upholstery & white wicker. Please do post pic when you have that done but you can move the chair into the room now right? What a fun post thread this has been. Thanks!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KW, Awww, Thank you! I felt that I was all over the place, but with Houzzers help I’m getting closer to my goals. Moving the chair now to the spot is a great idea! I’ll do that!

• userLA57
    3 years ago

Love the chairs & your art! Drop it 5" and see how it looks. It think it'll cozy in to the lamp and sofa a little more. Cute space!!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked userLA57
  • Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

Since you already have a rather large print on the sofa cushions, I think a fabric like the last chair would be the way to go. That way you won't have two different prints of the same scale fighting for attention. You don't want to get the same exact print as those pillows, as then you would end up with a look from the 70s, instead of contemporary and fresh.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Nancy Walton
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

I only use chairs with arms. An armless chair is just not comfortable...where can you rest your OWN arms?! Too many or too-large pillows on the sofa make sitting there less comfortable, too. Three pillows is all I would use. Someone who gets stuck sitting in the middle can use a pillow for an armrest.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked felizlady
  • Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

A Club chair has arms, as well as an ottoman sometimes. I'll see if I can find an example to post. This is an example of style, not color of upholstery:

Nelle Herringbone Armchair · More Info

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

A chair like you are referring to without arms is called a Slipper chair.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Painting the wicker ivory or even a pale beige may make it work better...or aqua to add a more interesting unexpected twist

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think the wicker chair fits nicely in this corner ( thank you, KW). I ordered a sample of fabric that is on the first chair I posted. I am planning to paint the chair off white, same as the bench/table. Question: should I just make a square pillow for the back or a rounded one like what is currently on it. TY all for your awesome advice!

• Lis
    3 years ago

Coming on nicely. To me the table in front of the couch does not quite fit. Maybe paint the bottom part in one of the bright colors from your cushions?

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Lis
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Reconsidering painting the chair and leaving it natural, but changing the fabric on the cushions. Need help on what type of side table, lamp, what to put on wall (mirror, painting?). Thank you for all advice!

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Almost finished!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

A chair with arms is more comfortable than an armless chair.
    A white rug is likely to get a dingy appearance unless people in your home do not wear their “street shoes” inside. A patterned rug is my choice in all public rooms: it gives you a color palette for decorating. It should be large enough that each seating piece will have at least its front legs upon the rug....I like to have the front half of each seating piece on the rug.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked felizlady
  • KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Jackjess, that floor is stunning! And your wicker chair with its new color and cushions - perfect!! What a pretty room you’ve created & I think it’s so great that you were able to use that chair you already had! Thank you so much for coming back and showing us your great progress.

• userLA57
    3 years ago

The floor looks great! What about finding a neutral textured rug like the carpet in your inspo pic? It'll keep your artwork & pillows as main focus.

• PRO
    CB Interior Design
    3 years ago

I like your first choice of chairs, the arm chairs are more comfortable and cozy. Also I would go with the print fabric on the arm chairs a neutral color area rug would look very pretty with your wood floors. I would add a small round table between the two arm chairs with a color table lamp either in the yellow or the turquoise you have on your throw pillows. Perfect the Contemporary painting above the sofa, you can add window treatment that will definitely complete the space.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked CB Interior Design
  • PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

Arm chairs are everything! It's all about comfortability for me.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Altair
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

A white area rug would brighten the space.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Amanda Smith
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Should I hang any more art on the walls?

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Since you’re asking ... 😁. I was thinking that your pretty art over couch looks a bit lonely. Wondering if you’ve created any more pieces that you can add for a small gallery effect on that wall. This wall is really the focal point in room & very visible from just outside the room too. Another spot would be the wall behind wicker chair which is viewed while sitting on couch.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KW, Thank you for responding. I was thinking of this painting (24x30) for the wall behind the rocker.

• cubby14
    3 years ago

Things are shaping up nicely. I would probably pare down the number of pillows on the couch. Get rid of the middle one and just do one bigger one on each end and maybe a lumbar pillow in the middle if needed.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked cubby14
  • Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

You need to lower the art above the couch by about 8 to 10 inches.

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

You could stack some smaller pieces vertically between the windows or put an interesting object there. Just make sure it is a vertically oriented piece rather than horizontal.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

@Elaine Gauthier Art, I love that art! The sunflowers make me smile and the jar / vase color is perfect in the room. Perfect for over wicker chair. I like @Nancy Walton idea of stacking smaller pieces vertically between windows - I had been looking at that wall & if you’re not doing any window treatment or even if you do & it’s simple inside mount blinds, I think 2 or 3 small prints there would be pretty. The art above the couch is a little high if nothing else added there. Personally , I like the pillows as you have them on couch. The middle one is same color as couch & adds texture with its pattern & the other two on each end add to your color theme so my vote is keep all! I have to say again just how pretty your floor is. Can’t believe the difference in the room without the carpet that was there!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Yes art behind rocker will be perfect.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, all, for your valuable comments!

Some of you suggested that I lower the art above the sofa. I am not a decorator by any means, but I wanted to let you know why I chose to hang it there. I am an artist and art educator. I am all about balance of the elements of art. I would like to think that some of these “rules” should be individualized and based on the unique elements.

I feel that each work of art is unique and brings its own challenges to the table.

My room is basically neutral, tan walls, tan sofa, wood floor/woodwork, etc. By lowering the painting (which is very vibrant and busy) closer to the colorful pillows it brings all the color to one place; your eye will be drawn to the area mostly.

In this instance I feel that the wall will be too void. I think of the space between the painting and the sofa as a “breather”. I may be all wrong, but my eye just sees it that way.

I do appreciate all of your feedback, but I was stuck on this one.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Your theory on balance is interesting & I hadn’t thought about it that way. What do you think of the position of the art at the level on box? I think it‘s now a bit low but It is hard to judge from a photo. I thought was a bit high in original spot so my thought is halfway between then & now. I’ve used eye level to center of art as my general guide & if it’s an arrangement of multiple pieces, then eye level to main or primary piece. Eye level can be challenging though since I’m barely 5’4” which is shorter than today’s average height for female. But I also use what’s below art as guide as well as ceiling height & shape of art. Art that is a rectangular shape top to bottom & hung over a tall narrower piece might be higher where art that is rectangular shape side to side as yours is, & hung over a lower & long piece like your couch, I’d hang lower especially if it’s the only piece. I think reducing space between art & furniture connects them to create an overall vignette rather than taking each item in as a standalone view. When you enter a room, you take in the feel of the entire room before focusing on individual pieces in the room. That’s why I thought your sunflower piece is so perfect with the wicker chair - they just “go” together.. Once you enter the room, turn around & see that corner space, it’s a totally separate “vignette“. I’m using that word loosely here but I think you get my meaning. I wanted to ask you, is the sunflower piece your work too as the piece over couch is? Looks like a watercolor which is the medium I’m drawn too. Since I’m not an artist, I must purchase my art but we do have one local PNW artist we favor.

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

I agree with KW, the art on the box is just a little low now. Somewhere in the middle. Center of art at eye level is the general "rule" in home decor. Or in the case of two pieces stacked vertically, as might be the case between your windows, the break between the two pictures of about 2-3 inches should be slightly lower than eye level. I would place the top piece about four inches below the top of the window frame, assuming the pieces to be a size of no larger than 11 x 14 each.

• userLA57
    3 years ago

Yes, the center of the art work should be at eye level. I'm only 5'3" so I usually adjust it 1-2 inches to compensate for those taller, lol.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KW, Thank you so much. You have been so supportive of this project. I am not a decorator so I need all the help I can get. Houzzers have helped me with so many past projects.

Yes, the Sunflowers are watercolor and it is my painting. I am basically a representational artist but I am trying my hand at abstract to modernize my house, lol!

I have a website which has many of my paintings on it.

It is: elainegauthierart.com

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Hello Elaine, I noted you updated your profile. I’ve just viewed the art on your site. What a pleasure to visit and view your art! The soft colors and serene and beautiful images are wonderful! Balm for the soul it felt like. I chuckled at thinking of your self description as ‘not a decorator’ you’d said. I’m inclined to disagree. But, those of us with strong right brain function do find different modes of expression in which we have great self confidence. Mine is in the garden landscape. A visitor to my backyard once described it as a sanctuary so I know that my vision of layers of greens and color and textures to create a harmonious space which invites just sitting and watching the birds is working. I’ve learned that many of the ‘rules‘ for interior layouts and decor apply to our landscapes! Thank you for sharing your art. I do love that you and your husband changed the original purpose of under utilized space in your home to make it a space that you both can use and enjoy - the real purpose of a “home”. I really like the Lennon art too! Kathy

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KW, Thank you so much for your vote of confidence. Your garden must be exquisite! I have a flower garden but my artistic skills did not transfer over, lol. I’m down to the few plants that tolerate the Northeast and shade.

• PRO
    Africancreates
    3 years ago

Hello, i hope that you find what you're looking for, if you're still want to add a unique touch to your decor I invite you to visit this gallery of handmade rugs, they offer Free international shipping

https://www.etsy.com/shop/fatimarugs/

Regards,

Hicham

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I decided to hang the Sunflowers over the desk and a new one behind the chair. I’ve ordered tan Roman shades for the windows. We have complete

privacy but do use the room for a guest room.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Hi Elaine, these pieces each show well in their places as you have them. It’s personal preference as to which goes where and l think my preference would be to swap them. The sunflowers seem so perfect with the wicker chair and that piece has more weight to it which fills corner the chair sits in & is a nice balance with the colors in piece over the couch. The abstract piece now over chair is lighter and so would brighten the desk nook which I think is a bit hidden unless the door is closed. If the thought is to match art subjects over couch & chair, I don’t think that’s needed as the two are on opposite walls. As I say, personal preference only is why I would change - I love the sunflowers so would want them to be most visible. ☺️ The roman shades will be perfect for your windows & really nice with the floors. I have woven wood Roman shades in my bonus room & love them. A clean and uncluttered look that adds texture to the room.

Kathy

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Kathy, I’ll try to swap the places of the 2 paintings and see how it looks. I just thought that the Sunflowers behind the chair was a lot of teal in one place. The Sunflowers actually looked good over the sofa, but it was smaller than the abstract and seemed a bit more traditional when you first enter the room. Never ending project!

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

It may be a lot of color in one place and you, the artist, have the eye for that which I don’t. I do favor strong colors though. Lots of red shades & gold tones in my house with a lot of oak wood. I probably should tell you - or confess - I move things around in my home often. Sometimes art is moved - for sure when we acquire a new piece. Hard to do in our downsized open floor plan retirement home! Walls! We need them. My husband’s antique clock collection uses lots of wall space. Mostly though it’s my vintage art pottery collection that I move around. Most of the pieces are displayed in an old oak glass fronted cabinet but I move them in & out & around. I like to see things “ in a new light” & give them a fresh look. I also do this in my outdoor spaces - move plants around to make room for new ones or find a better place for an existing one. Always busy! 😁

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Kathy, your home sounds lovely. We also have an open floor plan. This is why when we built we included the room I just finished as a “get away“ for privacy on the first floor. I spend a long time (as you know, lol) planning a redo project, then I’m good for a long time. The only thing I change around is my art. Collections take up a lot of space. I don’t have any, However, my husband has a collection of guitars. He is restricted to the music room and family room, lol. They are pretty, though. One is teal which would look great in the study, but I didn’t want to get him started In there, lol!

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Having second thoughts about a rug after I put some blankets down to get a feel of what it may look like.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Second thoughts for yes, rug or no rug? I do like are rugs on hard floors because of the immediate softening effect & that a rug can add another dimension of color or art. I don’t have a good sense of the size of this room or of the bare floor space between couch & chair So don’t know what size needed. I know there are rug sites where one can upload a picture & “try” a rug in a space but I can’t tell you which they are. Maybe someone will chime in. I wonder though about a softer abstract pattern with creamy background & maybe a round shape? some time needed to cruise rug sites for ideas. And, if a possible rug found, it’d be helpful to order either a sample to see colors or if no samples then the smallest size like a doormat size to help manage return issues

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kathy, Thank you for your input. I was thinking of a subtle pattern for a rug maybe. I’ll keep looking.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Since you are considering an area rug....maybe something a little different in shape may work for the room.....something Oval.

Some inspiration:

Ticking Stripe Oval TK10 Canvas Rug 4' x 6' Oval · More Info

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked njmomma
  • shelleysmith999
    3 years ago

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked shelleysmith999
  • happyleg
    3 years ago

Can couch get turned to fit the rug better?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!