SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

The agony of a foot! Which floor plan would you choose?

MBAK
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Me again!

Many of you have been amazingly generous with your time and thoughtful suggestions about my new construction home’s floor plans.

I am once again shamelessly starting a new post to hopefully get more eyeballs to easily see the latest plans and a consensus about remaining options. I promise this will be my last post – about the floor plan layout at least! I am taking one more day to agonize, then will make a decision and hopefully move on and be at peace...

In a nutshell for anyone following the ridiculousness -

-New construction, narrow lot, first plans denied by zoning so making revisions to get construction going so I am not soon homeless

-Zoning issues – I cannot have a wall of more than 25 continuous feet on first floor. I can break up with bumps outs or ins of 2 ft in depth, no more than 15 square feet total, and mostly windows. Fireplace, exterior ingress/egress side door and bay/box windows count.. So the placement of the bump outs below serve those purposes..

-I’m at max building capacity and cannot make house any bigger

-It has a second floor where rooms maintain same size regardless of which first floor plan we choose. It also has a full basement and attic so plenty of space to get away, and storage..

THE KITCHEN CONNUNDRUM:

-All room measurements are the same – except for the kitchen!

-I want to preserve a long kitchen/dinette area and do not want to lose space for an eat-in breakfast table. I'm worried about making the kitchen/cabinetry too small/dinky looking for the space..

.....So how important is saving/losing 1'-1'6" in the kitchen and which floor plan would you choose??

A:

KITCHEN 24X13

*note: moved kitchen to left because with stairs (7ft wide) and kitchen on right side, I’d lose about 1’6” from the kitchen..
*pro: kitchen may have a bit more cabinetry with L design

*con: no direct access from kitchen to dining room

B:

KITCHEN 25X14

*note: looks "messiest" on paper but with actual walls/halls does it work?

pro: kitchen is longest here, butler area/direct access to dining room

*con: powder room a bit more “exposed”… and weird bump out in butler hall to

C:

KITCHEN 23X13

*pro: kitchen direct access to dining room, powder room discreet

*con: shortest kitchen length, concerned about enough cabinets and room for dinette

… could make L shape longer against dining room to add to cabinets but defeats purpose of having some direct access from kitchen

Comments (37)