SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

Which option would you choose?

beths96
13 years ago

Hi everyone! I have a big decision to make. We have done lots of work to our old home in the 9 years we've lived here. We're going to get a new roof and new windows in the next month or so. We also have some funds left over to choose either one option or the other for additional improvements. Just some background: My husband's job is pretty stable, meaning that we're probably not going to need to move, and we're so happy with this house and location, we don't picture outselves needing to sell and move any time soon. The taxes are cheap and the schools are great, so we're probably staying for a long, long time! :)

Here are my options for spending the money on the house. Let me add that my husband and I are equally confused, and so there's no "I want choice #1!" or "Choice #2 is our only option!" :)

1. Get granite countertops. I've wanted them forever. I've picked out a granite I like, and got an estimate on the job. We remodeled the kitchen ourselves in late 2003/early 2004. The counters I have now are a laminate that looks great, and I get so many complements on them. People sometimes think they are solid surface. So I won't be heartbroken if we don't get the granite. However, I've wanted granite for so long, and I think right now will be the only time we might be able to afford them.

2. We have a concrete patio in the backyard in a spot where we removed an old, rotted back porch. The patio is about 3 years old. We love it, until around 2pm, when the sun hits it. Then it's impossible to sit out there, even with a patio umbrella. My husband would like a roof put over it, with a ceiling fan. He thinks it would be great, and we'd spend a lot more time outdoors in the afternoon if we did this.

We also have spaces on either side of our fireplace (in the living room) where original windows used to be. The previous owner, for some reason, ripped out the plaster on the fireplace wall, removed the windows, and put fake wood paneling over the spaces where the windows were. We removed the paneling and installed drywall. But we know that the house originally had windows there, as do many of the houses in our neighborhood (and since my house is a common foursquare floor plan, I've noticed two windows on either side of the fireplce in similar homes all over the place!) I'd love to have the windows for the light, and because it was meant to be that way originally.

We also have an enormous sycamore tree that's way overgrown, in the front of the house. It either needs a major trimming, or removal. My husband wants it gone...but I love the tree. The bad thing is, it's tearing up and bucking our sidewalk. It's a problem, because people walking have to really watch when they go past our house, so that they don't trip and fall. We've leveled out the gaps with concrete, but it's pretty bad. We really need to do something to fix the situation, but I just don't know what. These trees were all plated when the houses on this street were built (early 1920's), and we're not the only one with this problem. However...on our block, on both sides of the street, we're the ones with the worst sidewalk problem.

So what would you do? The patio roof and the windows are not necessities, but just wishes. Also, the granite is a wish. MY first instinct was to go for the granite, and over the past few weeks, my husband has agreed. However, when I think of what else we could do with it instead of getting granite, I feel a little sick to my stomach! But...I know I'd love the granite. And with new windows and a new roof, our house would have everything we've ever wanted it to have.

Any opinions? I can take it!

Thanks!

Comments (32)

• Christy Bell
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay - I was thinking the granite until I read your last option of the tree. I say the tree due to the fact that it is doing structural damage. If it's close to the house it could begin damage to your foundation. I know you said you won't be leaving, but if you had to, I think the tree would be more of a resale issue than anything else. Now, if that's just not what you want to do, then I'd go for the granite. You'd use this everyday for several times a day and would be the best resale, IMHO! Oh, choices, choices!

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

Wow! Sounds like you have done alot already . If it were me and probably because I am the type that always worries about what the future might hold I would start with the tree. I think that is going to be a problem forever and might even wreck havoc with pipes etc etc. Then see where you are left moneywise, the granite would be nice but is only nice to look at, does not really solve any problems.
    Second choice would be patio problems.

• Related Discussions

if you have low horizontal outlets, how did you handle...

Q

Comments (3)
    I was able to find two pictures in a magazine where the outlet and switch are separate but near each other--in one they were in the same line; in the other, the switch was higher on the wall. Both looked fine, so I think that's what I'll do. But I was amazed at how hard it was to find pictures of kitchens with ANY sort of outlet or switch visible--does everyone with a "magazine" kitchen get plugmold or mocketts, or do they just airbrush them all out?
    ...See More

Which seating arrangement for office? Pics, long

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for all the great imput, gals. I'm going to test drive the room tomorrow using my older recliner from the living room. It's bigger than the new one I'm considering, but by setting it up with the oak washstand I'll have a better idea of the space I have to work with. I often sleep in Wes' recliner, especially when the ole bronchitis is acting up. I think it will suit my reading/relaxing/listening-to-audio-books/napping purposes. I just hope there will be room for two chairs. For some reason I want "seating for two" in this room. Of course, there will be an office chair pulled up to the computer where I tend to spend a wee bit of time! LOL Here's the wash stand I plan to use as an end table. The drawers can hold office/computer supplies. Since taking this photo (at the old base house) I've put vintage handles on it. The lamp and lace will have to go into the sewing room; they don't "fit" the office. Here's the new/old drawer pulls.
    ...See More

Need to choose an exterior direction

Q

Comments (44)
    Your unusually severe headroom problem is due to two mistakes that can be easily fixed. 1) For the depth of the house, the main roof rafters are not steep enough to allow adequate headroom at the front bedrooms but fortunately those rafters only occur between and at the sides of the dormers. That's about a dozen rafters that would need to be be raised or made steeper. Ask the builder which solution would be cheaper. 2) The big front "gable" is a low triangle form called a "pediment" and has no side walls like a dormer or cross gable. The slope of the pediment rakes is too low to provide adequate head room. It can be made taller or modified to be a cross gable/dormer with side walls. Raising the main rafters might be enough to fix it too. To reduce cost and complexity the face of all dormers should rest on the lower wall rather than be set back and rest on the existing floor joists. If no one has checked the size of the existing attic joists, you should do it yourself immediately. It might be necessary to sister all of them. I doubt a cross section drawing with notes and no engineer's stamp will be adequate for a building permit so additional drawings will probably be necessary anyway, but that will depend on your local building official. I understand that the architect was following your instructions but IMO you are owed something for the architect's failure to alert you to the unusually low ceilings and window heads. Send me a message or turn on the message feature in your profile.
    ...See More

Would you use a Nova Zembla rhodo, buddleja, or Wine & Roses weigela?

Q

Comments (13)
    They are all much taller and wider than the material behind them which would be crowded out and hidden. If you draw in a blob where you propose one of these shrubs, I think you'll see that it just looks weird, unintegrated and egregious. You need something that is lower than the stuff next to the house. @floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK, my logic went the other direction! LOL I see the tall tulip tree that drops down to the 2-3' tall plants, so I was envisioning that a 4-6' tall shrub would smooth out that transition. I was also thinking about the view from both looking at the house and looking AWAY from the house. A shrub like that in the middle gives me the ability to place shorter plants on both sides and create a nice look from both directions. And, of course, since the whole left side (tulip tree and beneath) is deciduous and green with a few hints of flower, I was hoping to place something here that's not green and is... well, evergreen. What would you suggest as an alternative? The rhodo, buddleja, and crepe myrtle were immediate thoughts since I already have them, and as you know, money is tight these days. I CAN buy a new plant, but if it's expensive then it might have to wait for Autumn.
    ...See More
  • beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! The thing is, I think we've actually been planning to do something about the tree for a while now, and we know it's something we'll have to deal with. We're scared of the cost...in fact, I think the extra funds we have right now will not even cover the cost of the tree removel/new sidewalks poured/etc. I personally think we should save up over the next 12 months and deal with it in the spring of next year. Actually, I think it would be smart to get an estimate so we know what to try to save up for.

By the way, I know this is not really a home decorating question, but I didn't know where else to place this question! :)

Thank you for your opinion!

• User
    13 years ago

Given your last comment about saving for the tree, why can't you do that for the granite, fireplace windows and/or out door space as well? I think the answer is really dependent on where you live and how much that outdoor space will be used. If you're in an area that the outdoor space will really add to your quality of life, that would probably be my first choice.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    13 years ago

Options #1-3 are things that you'd maybe like to get done at some point.
    Option #4 is something that absolutely needs to be done. Have the tree taken down, the stump ground out, and a lawn established while you save to do the sidewalks. At least you will have stopped further damage.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I feel the same way about the outdoor area. That would be my #1 choice. However, that tree...it could be a major liability. In my town, if you are responsible for the sidewalks maintenence and if someone trips and falls because of tree limbs, YOU are held liable.

Also, think about if it blows over in a storm. We have a MASSIVE tree that is next to our house and hangs over the roof. We had an estimate to have it trimmed, a couple thousand! Only because of where it's located.

We also have a sweet gum next to our driveway that is causing serious havoc...those stupid little prickly balls get in the gutters and some made their way down the down spout into the drain line. And talk about an ankle twister. I want it out BAD, but it's going to be a major expense, like you, because we'll have to tear out our driveway and relandscape the front yard.

But for you, if it was me...I'd do windows (light is worth every penny) or the patio area. And plan for that tree!

• beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THanks, everyone. I really appreciate your responses! I will take them into consideration as we decide over the next few months.

• belasea
    13 years ago

I agree with cearb - I would take care of the tree first so that it doesn't cause more damage. Then, I would probably do the patio next and/or windows. I sort of look at it like you already have a countertop that is nice, so that could wait. But, you don't have access to the patio after a certain hour and the tree could also cause problems with your plumbing. Waiting on that could cause a lot more problems and expenses. Good luck with your decision.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Here's what I'd do, but I'd have to make sure it would work in case someone wanted to sue me if they tripped.

If the tree is only hurting the sidewalk and not your house, I'd put up a "Caution" sign facing both directions of the tree.

Then I'd spend the money on the house repairs you want, and save money for the tree removal for next year.

At least if someone did trip, they had fair warning. :)

Also, granite's nice but it's not what it's cracked up to be. I installed it last year and sometimes I wish I had old fashioned formica trimmed in metal around the edges.

• natal
    13 years ago

Since it's strictly opinions based on your information my choices would include replacing those missing windows and adding a roof to the patio.

The countertops look great ... why replace? Is the sycamore sick? If not, get it pruned and research sidewalk repair that wouldn't harm the tree. Then go from there.

• natal
    13 years ago

Beth, I knew your name sounded familiar. I was reading the Kitchen forum back when you did your kitchen remodel. You have white cabinets and red walls, don't you? That's a beauty! Forget the granite. Spend your money on something else. ;)

• Jamie
    13 years ago

We don't have sidewalks, but do have a huge English Plane tree in the front yard. An arborist wired the three big divisions/trunks together at the top to prevent it from splitting or falling in high winds. There is a lot they can do short of removal. It might be worth a consultation to see if the sidwalk damage can be remediated without taking out the whole tree. It was less than $500 if I remember correctly.

Other than that, I would have to restore the windows beside the fireplace. I love original old architecture, and light, and putting things back the way they are "supposed" to be gives me no end of satisfaction. It just seems like such a no brainer to add value by removing later-added mistakes.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

I just re-read. A couple of thousand for trimming seems very high. Was that the price of a big tree service? The certified arborist we use is a one-man operation. I think he must have scheduled our project around a time when other services had an idle chipper available for an hour or two, and he hires his own ad-hoc labor help. I used to let the big tree trimming services work on certain of the other trees, but with the down economy the arborist is willing to fill in his consultation work with hands-on tree work, and he has been taking care of all of our trees. I might suggest you try contacting another tree person/certified arborist. I think our guy really loves our sycamore, and that makes him take good care of it for us.

I have also seen big price differences between one landscape company and another, and between one snow removal service and another. Maybe it's just one of those areas.

• beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Thanks, Natal!

I do love my countertops now, but granite has always been a dream. And to be able to not worry about sitting hot things on the counter would be great. It's something I wanted since I did the remodel (which I paid for all myself, out of pocket, but I just couldn't afford the granite then). I will admit that one thing that worries me is that my kids are about at counter-level, and I could see them both running into the countertop and hurting themselves! I wonder if this is common? :)

I think the first step, to ease our minds, would be to talk to a tree trimming company and see what the cost would be for what we want to do. Then, we would at least know if we have anywhere close to the amount of the estimate. If not, well...that's depressing! Time to save up I guess! I'm honestly scared of how much it's going to cost.

Here are the counters, right after they were installed.

Here's a picture we took when we first bought the house and took off the paneling:
    {{gwi:1689898}}

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

If I were you, I'd start researching tree/sidewalk options right away and get several estimates on what is necessary and how much it costs, and that's where I'd put my money. Yes, it's not something that will improve your daily living, like the other outdoors project would, but this is part of exterior maintenance responsibilities. I'd rather put all my money into the interior living spaces, but it's important to keep my exterior looking good too, for the good of everybody who has to walk by it!

I wouldn't start "saving up" for that repair. I'd just get it done, even you have to move funds from another savings account. Any delay in trying to save more money probably will just cost you more in the end--either in the event of someone falling and suing (and you know that person will, in today's world) or the tree come crashing down or the pipes become affected--and labor prices will rise as well.

I don't know about the value of putting a caution sign near the tree--I doubt that'd protect you legally. But I'm no lawyer.

And you know what happens when most people say they'll save up for something--something else comes down the pike and gets in the way.

Then I'd prioritize this way:

1) fireplace windows (does your husband feel the same way about them?)
    2) patio
    3) granite countertops

Because #1 and #2 get to the structural origins and function of the house, and #3 is a "pretty" upgrade.

• msrose
    13 years ago

My heart says go for the granite, but my brain says go for the roof and save for the granite. I know the tree is important, but I'd rather spend my money on something that brings me pleasure. That may not be the best reason to do something, but I can't help it :)

Laurie

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

And:

You already did a kitchen remodel--you got something you wanted. And your kitchen looks lovely. But the way you phrased your last post makes me think the tree and the hubby's patio plan don't stand a chance!

I just the tree's liability issue should outweigh the "wishes" right now. This is what a rainy-day fund is for.

• megsy
    13 years ago

If you think you might not be able to afford granite in the future -- there might be a more pressing matter of affording the tree situation if you don't do something to remedy it now.

• les917
    13 years ago

I agree that you need to talk to a couple of tree companies first and get estimates and ideas. You cannot make a good decision unless you have valid information.

That said, I would do the tree first. If it is buckling sidewalks, it could also affect your home, and your kids' safety as they ride bikes, etc. Plus, honestly, you clearly love the house - the outside of it should be as important to you as the inside (tho I know that isn't as much fun to spend money on). Also, think about what happens if you don't do the tree now, when you have the money,and down the road HAVE to do something in an emergency situation when you may NOT have the money?

The rest I would need to think about, if I were you, in terms of return and how I live in the house.

It seems logical to do the windows by the fireplace next, as long as you are having new windows installed. But if you never use that room, or only for company, the issue may not mean that much to your daily quality of life.

The patio sounds like it would benefit everyone,but again, how often do you sit out there at a time of day when the sun IS a problem? Also, how will that affect the light that gets into that part of the home, once you add a roof out there? If you do it, be sure to consider having lighting installed in the ceiling so that it doesn't end up creating a lot of shadow for the interior of the house that you can't balance.

Instead of a roof, have you considered the rolling awnings like SunSetter? That could be a great solution, and flexible, as well as less expensive.

Finally, the granite. You keep coming back to that, and clearly it is your dream. However, as the one poster already said, it may not be as wonderful as you think. And, truly, how often do you really need to set something hot on the counter? If you do, what about adding a piece of granite or insultated stainless steel mat to sit on the countertop next to the stove?

I would also ask if you have undercabinet lighting? If not, I would want that before I changed the counters. WIth the dark counters and smaller space, it would be a real asset. If you do have that, then only you can decide if you can be happy giving up the granite for something else. As you have said, your DH has agreed, so you have a green light.

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

• sheesh
    13 years ago

1.Putting up "Caution" signs on the broken sidewalk means you are aware of the problem and have not repaired it; therefore, you can be held liable in a lawsuit. Don't put up a sign.

2.Call the city and see if they will split the cost of sidewalk repair with you. They will in many cities. All you have to do is call your alderman or city hall.

3.I'll never understand what it is about granite! To me, it's high maintenance and ridiculously expensive. Plus, I don't see the beauty or function of it. Your kitchen is beautiful. Granite will go out of style one of these days, I'm sure of it, just like everything else does.

Dark granite always needs to be polished after any kind of use or it looks smeary, and must be sealed annually. A couple months ago a small chunk of it fell off my son's granite - they have no idea why, they just noticed it was gone one day. I can understand most of the things people want in their lives, but granite counters escape me completely!

I'd certainly do the tree first, then the awning, then the windows, and never the granite. I bet you get over wanting it so badly.

• sundownr
    13 years ago

Be sure to get several bids for your tree. We had to remove an 80' pecan tree that was growing too close to the house and the bids ranged up to $8k. We ended up hiring a guy that is the landscaping/horticulturist/tree trimming working manager at a local university for less than $1k. He was recommended by a friend and he did a great job and saved us a lot of money.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

You have to replace those fireplace wall windows, because it will "make the room". And you really will be adding living space by roofing or at least shading the patio. You could cover it a lot cheaper with a pergola and "shade cloth" than with a true roof, and not have to worry about altering the house as much. If the counter tops are still serviceable, leave them and add the outdoor living space. Un-enclosing my little back porch was one of my most-enjoyed projects.
    Casey

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I don't think I can comment on any of the other options because they are too personal and only you can know what will make you happiest. However, it sickens me to think of a tree nearly a century old being removed (if it is otherwise healthy). Omigod, it is historic! If I were looking at a home to buy, it would be a selling point, regardless of the state of the sidewalk.

If you haven't already, I'd get an arborist (see if your city has one on its staff) to see if there is any way trimming the roots will solve the problem without killing or damaging the tree. There may even be a barrier you can install to block the roots from reestablishing themselves under the walkway. I don't know where you live, but maybe there is a way the city would join in the neighborhood for some kind of project to save the trees and keep the sidewalks safe.

Seems people (I don't mean you, as you obviously are conflicted) remove trees at the drop of a hat, without a thought to their importance. They are habitat for birds and other wildlife, they provide oxygen for us and help with global warming. And they are about the most beautiful things in nature.

• beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much. My husband and I are really conflicted on what to do about the tree. To add to what the last poster put...it kills me to think we could possibly remove this tree. My babies are 5 and 3, and they've grown up playing near it, and learning about nature, seasons, birds, etc. from this tree. It has significant meaning to me. Plus, I really do think it helps our front porch and living room stay cool. It would definitely alter the look of our house if we removed it.

I just honestly don't know how we'd take care of the sidewalk without killing the tree. Even if we tore up the two blocks of sidewalk being buckled up, how would we even fix it, because the root is clearly what is tearing up the sidewalk? We couldn't remove the root or grind it without killing the tree, right?

In any case, the tree needs trimmed. The branches are extending over the roof of our front porch, causes clogged gutters and so forth. It's enormous and needs to be at least trimmed. That we can all agree on!

I want to save it. My husband is very anti-tree and wouldn't be upset if it was gone. I personally listed the tree as one of the reasons I wanted the house. I hear that at one time, when the street was newly established, every other house had a sycamore, but over the years, they've been removed.

We've also asked the city about help, and they said that trees and sidewalks are all the owners' responsibilities. :(

Trust me, I want to save the tree at all costs, but I have to think about safety, too, you know? This is all very confusing. Especially because today, my daughter and I made shortbread cookies, and as I was cleaning up the mess, I thought, "If these were dark granite counters, I would have smears and streaks from rolling this dough." And with the laminate, it was very easy cleanup. So why mess with a good thing? See how conflicted I am? I'm not completely sold on granite, really. I just think it looks sooo pretty, that's all.

Thanks again, everyone!

Oh, and the reason we would want a permanant roof over the patio is because we really would like a ceiling fan, and it would feel like more of a room than it would if we just had an awning. But i did consider one.

Beth

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I'd get the tree removed first, but it might not be as expensive as you think, so maybe you can also choose one of your options. We had 4 VERY large trees removed over the last several years (b/c they were causing causing structural damage to our driveway, rotten and dangerous to pedestrians, etc.) and I don't recall it being cost-prohibitive.

If you can afford to get the tree removed and one other option, I'd choose the patio cover or the fireplace windows. You already have nice looking countertops and a remodeled kitchen.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Safety first- always. We had a similar situation with two trees that had been planted in the 20s and were buckling our sidewalks.The county came around our neighborhood 25 years ago to replace( at homeowners cost) The roots were cut away to repair the sidewalk. we had investigated our options and found that caution signs don't remove liablilty. a smooth safe sidewalk was the only way to go.
    Make a long story short- we eventually had to take down the trees because we worried they were no longer stormworthy and peoples safety comes first.They were still beautiful when we had them removed and we cried but they had insect damage all the way through, so we luckily avoided disaster and rest easy during storms.
    After the tree- its a coin toss! Do what will give you the most pleasure.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Cooper has an excellent point. Unless the tree is inspected by a certified arborist, there is no way to know how safe it is. I don't like the idea of cutting down trees, either, but when we do, we replace them with more appropriately placed trees. We've cut down 2 on our property now, and put up 3 new ones. The two we cut down were definitely dangerous (one was rotten inside).

The tree we have over our house will cost a fortune to have trimmed because it hangs directly over our house. And there is no way to get a cherry picker in our backyard, so the cost is due to labor. Someone has to climb it, tie off the branches, someone has to be on the ground to guide the limbs to the ground, etc. This is the best pic I have so of this tree. You can just see the trunk behind the house on the left. The two trees in front are eventually coming out, that sweetgum on the right is DEFINITELY going. The other is a red maple that is in bad shape. We're going to replace these two with 3 birch that will be on the left side of the yard. Out of the picture we also have a hazelnut and an english walnut in the lower left corner.

{{gwi:1689899}}

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the posts, but it sounds to me you really want the new granite. I tend to look at things by how much I'll get to enjoy them.

You will use and look at those countertops every single day. The patio roof is nice, but where I live it's a few months out of the year enjoyment. We ended up turning our deck into a 3 season room because we needed shade so we didn't burn up and screens so we didn't get eaten up!

Can you do the windows and the granite? Those would give you the most bang for your buck I'd think.

As far as the tree, I'd get an arborist to give you an opinion and save for a fix next year. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but if it falls down, your insurance will cover it! And while uneven sidewalks are dangerous and should be fixed, I bet most people who walk by your house already know they're there and are careful. If I had to count how many houses in my area had sidewalks uneven due to tree roots, we could keep a concrete guy busy for months.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Two of our huge trees were planted less than a foot away from our driveway, which was torn up from the roots and a safety hazard for anyone who walked up to our house. The roots were also invading our water pipes. Concerned very much about liability and wanting to replace our driveway, we removed the trees. Half of their root systems were under our driveway and house. We are replacing them with several trees, but I definitely miss the shade they offered (not the mess though!)

We had a third tree removed that was at least 40-50 feet tall, rotting, and located very close to the street in front of our house. We were definitely on notice that the tree could cause injury/damage, which we would have been liable for. Removal was necessary.

With that being said, if there were any way to have saved our trees, I would have. It was hard watching them being cut down.

• cat_tail
    13 years ago

I agree with those saying to take care of the tree and sidewalk first. Between tripping hazards and the posibility of falling dead limbs, plus you know there's a problem and have the funds to remedy it- well, it's the morally and legally correct thing to do. I had a very large oak pruned a few years ago and it was a real relief to have it done and not have to worry about dead limbs injuring anyone, though none had ever fallen, and also to have evidence of having it inspected and taken care of.

• beths96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much! My husband and I have been talking about it all weekend, and I think I've decided against granite. Sure, i would love it, but I love my laminate, too. And I really do get a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about taking the plunge and getting it, when that money could go for other things. Now that the decision has been made (I'm pretty sure!), it's on to the next decision. LOL! :)

Thanks, everyone!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I am definitely not an arborist or any type of tree expert, but IF you determine that the tree is only damaging the sidewalk and not damaging the foundation or endangering the roof, there is another option. Our city tried out a new material for a single home in our neighborhood where tree roots were severely damaging the sidewalk (3 or 4" lips between the concrete slabs) and endangering pedestrians. The material is a dark gray rubbery material in slabs just like a concrete sidewalk. The material has flexibility so it can move as the tree roots push up on it. And as a runner I found the material to be very pleasant to run on. I'm not certain what the final conclusion was regarding the material, but perhaps you can look into something like that if you decide to retain the tree.