SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabinreno2020

Yet another kitchen layout question

cabinreno2020
3 years ago

Hi all,

We're in the process of planning a major renovation of a home that's pretty much gutted down to the studs and I'm looking for some advice on how to design the kitchen. We're on a relatively small budget for the kitchen, so I'm looking to keep it relatively simple, but I'm having some trouble figuring out a good layout.

Some context:

- The kitchen will be on the first floor, which has an open-plan living and kitchen area (see floor plan below). The kitchen area has two windows, so most of the wall space is on the interior wall.

- The ceilings are low! (8'6")

- All the plumbing (gas & water) and electricity has yet to be run, so we have A LOT of flexibility regarding the layout.

- We don't need a French door fridge and a narrower model will do (I'm European, so even a 'small' American fridge seems massive to me). We're shooting for an average-sized dishwasher and gas range. Still deciding on the kind of hood we should get for the range.

- I'd like an island or peninsula to add more counter space, storage, and room for a couple of chairs for socializing, but it doesn't have to be large.

- One tall cabinet would be nice, for food storage (we don't have a separate pantry).

- Our views are beautiful, so I'd like to have the sink by a window, not on the island.

- The window sizes in the pictures are 71" x 35", but we actually haven't finalized them yet, and there's still some room for changes (we're completely re-framing those windows, so can change sizes),

Below, I'm sharing my first idea for a layout, but I'm unhappy with some aspects, for example:

- I don't love the dishwasher being right next to the fridge in the corner. If someone wants to access the fridge while the dishwasher is open, it can get really cramped over there.

- Having the tall cabinet in the front makes the whole area look less open than I'd like.

- It would be nice if the "entrance" (space between island and cabinets) was less narrow.

Any thoughts on how to improve this would be much much appreciated!!

Here is an empty floor plan of the whole floor, with a label for where the kitchen will go (that area measures roughly 11' x 14').

And a 3D version to visualize the windows:

And here's a rough idea for a layout (with some random dining room furniture thrown in):

And a 3D version thereof. Please disregard the weird finishes from the floor planning tool, it's just to illustrate what goes where.

Again from a different angle:

Comments (11)