SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

It's Time For Breakfast, Get Up!

It is breakfast time. I have been up for sometime, but have not had mine yet. I am thinking I will have pancakes. I have not had those in awhile, maybe bacon too and a grapefruit. What will you have for your breakfast?

Sue

Comments (51)

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

4AM here I don't eat until 6--cereal before I head for work.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

Coffee! Cereal! Maybe a piece of cheese.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annegriet
  • Related Discussions

River Birch Saga - Is it time to give up on it?

Q

Comments (4)
    save $50 bucks and plant a new one... and start with a smaller one.. and save 100 or 150 ... you wouldnt be so upset about the loss.. if you had started smaller.. and paid less they transplant easier... establish faster and will outgrow larger ones ... pure speculation.. the digging of the 15 footer massacred the root system.. so it struggled.. calling all the other problems to it ... go with a 6 or 8 footer at proper plating time in fall ... for what it is worth and while you are at it.. diversify .... why another birch??? .. so you can lose both if the borer attacks [even if they claim to be borer-proof???] good luck.. whatever you decide .... ken
    ...See More

Wake up! It's Time for Another Tour!

Q

Comments (8)
    "That was amazing!! It could only have been better in person!!" It was. :))) There was so much to see that I'd have been surprised if your web site shots included many of my own favorites. You did get LOTSA DOTS...and so did I LOL. I liked it so much that I ordered it from Faith. I ordered one other as well, DARK DRAGON, a double by Pat Bennett. I thought DD was very eye-catching, very unusual -- dark red with a gold throat. And the plant was loaded with scapes and buds. BTW, that clump of Jim Murphy's LOTSA DOTS was runner up for the Wente Award (more formally, The Dr. John Wente Award), for the best clump. Back to the garden...others I especially liked were BLACK PEARL, an oldie from 1963; HONEY CRUNCH CUPCAKE, one of Tim Herrington's cute doubles in his "cupcake" series; LOLA BRANHAM, which was huge and stunning; and a couple more of Emma Chandler in addition to the one in the photo--MEMPHIS INSOMNIAC and TALLAHATCHIE QUEEN. I'm pretty sure the Bange garden was also where I saw one stunning clump of red daylilies after another....Pat Cochenour's MYSTIC PIZZA (I highly recommend this one), Jamie Gossard's WAYNE FELGAR (ditto), and an amazing clump of HOLLY DANCER, proving once again that you don't have to have the newest daylily to enjoy a really spectacular display in the garden. In fact, I'm pretty sure both the Cochenour and the Warrell got lots of votes for the award for best red (Serge Rigaud Award).
    ...See More

It's Christmas Card exchange sign up time!

Q

Comments (44)
    There is only two weeks left to sign up! I hope more sign up and join in the fun. Please email me thru my page to sign up. It's always so much fun to see who has sent you a card each day when you go to the mail box! Tami
    ...See More

What time do you wake up & what time do you to sleep/

Q

Comments (29)
    Most of the time I wake up before my 5:30 AM alarm goes off. Up, turn on the TV, and the computer, get dressed, read email and the paper online while eating breakfast. Then, peek in here at the KT, and on facebook, and get ready to go to work. If I ride my bike I leave the house 15 minutes earlier than if I drive. I work till 1:30 PM officially, but most times don't get out till after 2:00 I return to my bed after the 10:00 PM news and start the whole fun scenario again. :) Moni
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I had neighbors over for a patio sit yesterday and served scones I made: choc chip and orange. I'll have one for breakfast today with a scrambled egg.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

I alternate egg (fried, scrambled, etc) and toast with cheese on it with steel cut oats and yogurt.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • hallngarden
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This week it’s toast and poached egg. Always coffee. Hubs is known for his breakfast making. He makes waffles from scratch, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, bananas, makes the best coffee in the world. He doesn’t gain an ounce eating his waffle, makes them very healthy. On the other hand , if I ate, my 100 pound weight would probably balloon. Girls in our 80’s have to maintain our “youthful” figure. Funny how I can weight same as I did 67 years ago and it seems to have moved around.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked hallngarden
  • HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

Coffee.

Toast.

More coffee.

Start working.

More coffee.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked HamiltonGardener
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Coffee now. French toast later.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elizabeth
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I'm still medicating with caffeine right now. Not sure what I'll have for breakfast. I may make a ham and cheese omelette or just have eggs over easy and a fried slice of ham with maple syrup.

The ham is left over from small ham I bought to make ham and beans last weekend which I am thawing out for lunch.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

Kashi cinnamon crunch cereal with a sliced banana and whole milk. Might nap a bit before coffee. Didn't eat supper last night, woke up hungry at 0400 but need more sleep...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Too early for breakfast for me. Have had my "open eyes" cup of coffee and

have my bed stripped. Not sure what I will have to eat...in a half hour or so.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Uptown Gal
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Not up yet, but my usual: half an English muffin, buttered. I top it with cheese, or peanut butter and jam, or peanut butter and sliced banana. Coffee. Or, maybe Cheerios (I like to mix the regular and multi-grain, which adds just a bit of sweetness), and sliced banana on top.

Ooh, later I'll have half a donut. DS dropped off the most amazingly fresh apple cider donuts from the farmer's market. After I eat that half, I'll promptly eat the other half!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bpath
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

My go to for the past year or so has been 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a cut up apple sprinkled with cinnamon. Sometimes I toss a few praline pecans.

Today I sliced a banana instead of the apple. I sometimes substitute blueberries.

I do plan on rotating in French toast and I bought the ingredients for an Egg McMuffin.

Bpath, haha I am the same. I have absolutely no will power and think that by pecking away slowly the calories won’t add up.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked eld6161
  • dedtired
    3 years ago

I don’t know how people can face eggs in the morning. They have always turned my stomach although I have them for dinner quite often.

I have cereal ( Barbara’s Morning Oat Crunch) with fresh blueberries almost every morning. Once in awhile I substitute oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins.

I recently discovered some coffee that I like a lot. It’s Allegro Organic Dark Roast. I buy it at Whole Foods. expensive but coffee is one of my great pleasures.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dedtired
  • jkayd_il5
    3 years ago

The usual. A bowl of steel cut oats with milk and brown sugar.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jkayd_il5
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Breakfast is usually my biggest meal. I very seldom eat in the evening. Usually I eat a lot of eggs during the week. I am curious Floral_UK how do you make your porridge? Is it like oatmeal which I do love.

Sue

• lindaohnowga
    3 years ago

I eat the same thing every morning... 3 pieces of toast with grape jelly and a cup of coffee, followed by all of my vitamins.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lindaohnowga
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I got lazy and nuked a frozen breakfast burrito that I made a bunch of a few weeks ago. Added a little Annie's Salsa on top. Yum!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Like Marilyn Sue, breakfast tends to be my biggest meal of the day as well. But I never eat it when I first get up........that time is reserved for my coffee infusion :-) Breakfast will be several hours later, more of a mid-morning or brunch time meal. And while it is most often typical breakfast time foods, it could also be leftovers. Or a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich.

I rarely have lunch unless going out with friends....and not much of that happening lately! If I have lunchtime plans, I skip breakfast. Otherwise, I will just have a piece of fruit or a hunk of cheese if I get hungry midafternoon. Dinner, if I fix it at all, is usually very light - a bowl of soup, maybe popcorn, sometimes a sandwich or take out. Or what others consider appetizers :-) I might cook a real dinner meal maybe once every week or 10 days.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

This morning I had a slice of chocolate date nut bread with cream cheese and a cup of Luzianne tea. I have something different for breakfast every day and sometimes skip breakfast.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked happy2b…gw
  • whistle_b
    3 years ago

Cheerios with blueberries, bananas, walnuts and chia seeds. Coffee.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked whistle_b
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

My porridge is 1 teacup rolled oats and two teacups water. Boiled or microwaved for a few minutes. I serve it with a splash of cold milk. No sugar. No salt. Some people make it with half milk, half water or all milk. Imo instant porridge is an abomination and loaded with sugar. I used not to eat any breakfast but started on the oats as a cholesterol control strategy.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I've only been up an hour so I haven't eaten yet. But breakfast is pretty lax here, not a meal. DH will have a banana and coffee, maybe a slice of plain pound cake or toast. I'll have Ovaltine, piece of toast. Lunch is pretty casual too - dinner is our bigger meal of the day. I have a Costco half ham that I'm going to put on later.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

This morning, it was a toss-up between oatmeal with chopped apple and nutmeg or toad in a hole (bread, egg and cheese). I decided on the egg dish because I'll be eating light for lunch (tuna salad, crackers). LOL, Eld! I don't have any willpower either, especially if there's ice cream in the house!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked stacey_mb
  • Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

I can't eat first thing in the morning. I got up and took my dd to school, came back and picked up all of the trimmings from the bushes that I had cut in the last couple of days. Dh saw me and came out to help. Then he wanted breakfast so he made us sausage and eggs. I suggested baked potato and salad for supper tonight so most of the meals for today are figured out. Not sure what I'm having for lunch... maybe lentils that I get from Costco. They only take a minute to heat up and are filling.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Adella Bedella
  • jill302
    3 years ago

Start with coffee and eat at about 9 a.m. This morning I had eggs, cottage cheese and salsa. Usually it is spinach rather than cottage cheese but I am out of spinach this morning. Not sure what I will have for lunch, but will be making vegetable soup for dinner, will serve along with a jalapeño cheese bread I buy from a local baker.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jill302
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

The same as lindaohnowga, except with strawberry jam and tea.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked woodrose
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

Woke up at about 1240. Had a delivery coming from Wal-mart or so I thought...turns out I made it a pick up instead. So, brushed my teeth, washed my face and drove over there. Hard to find the pick up point. It said it was to the right of the building if you were facing it, but that was pick up for Black Friday deals. I asked one of the guys helping another customer as he was walking away from them and he pointed me to the right area, which was by the liquor store, way over on the left side of the building.

Anyway, came home and made a BLT with some of the last of my cherry tomatoes from the garden. Wish I hadn't stayed up so late last night as it's a beautiful day and I want to work outside in the garden. I have to work tonight so that's not going to happen. I have tomorrow off but it's forecasted to rain, of course...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • glenda_al
    3 years ago

Love eggs any time of day. I generally get up too late eat breakfast as normal people do. It's 1:27pm and I am just fixing a cup of coffee.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked glenda_al
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

Breakfast was what Sunday breakfasts usually are for us today. Of course we had it as brunch. DH needed him time day so that's why he's home.

We had omelets stuffed with fried leeks asparagus broccoli salsa and cheese. I put some pretty weird stuff in my omelettes. For our side we had pan fried smashed sweet potatoes. They didn't come out quite as brown as I like.

We also had strawberries on toast. We just kind of mash the strawberries into the toast for our strawberry jam.

I had cinnamon milk. DH had Earl Gray tea with milk.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked yeonassky
  • cooper8828
    3 years ago

Homemade egg mcmuffin today.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked cooper8828
  • liira55
    3 years ago

Coffee with Baileys

scrambled eggs

toast

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked liira55
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Floral_UK. I guess I have been eating porridge all along and didn't know it!

Sue

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Sausage patty, a frozen waffle with real maple syrup and orange juice.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wildchild2x2
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    3 years ago

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is a myth.

I never eat breakfast, just a cup of coffee.

I eat a big meal just before bed time, (after dinner). This gives me more time to prepare for work not having to make breakfast, and more energy for work the next day the whole day.

dcarch

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

Homemade toast with homemade marmalade. Interesting how my bread takes double the time to toast vs commercial bread. My guess is commercial bread has a lot of sugar in it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jojoco
  • booberry85
    3 years ago

During the height of the summer, my garden pumped out a LOT of zucchini. I made a zillion different variations of zucchini bread and froze them. This week it's zucchini carrot cake.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked booberry85
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I eat a big meal just before bed time, (after dinner). This gives me more time to prepare for work not having to make breakfast, and more energy for work the next day the whole day.

I do the same if I have to be doing something in the morning and expect a longer day. I tend to be more of a grazer anyway. I also count calories and getting a balanced diet by weekly average not by the day. Our bodies don't care whether we ate this or that by the clock.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wildchild2x2
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

A big meal before bedtime can really help you to grow, sideways I mean. :-) I am trying to lose at least 10lbs, so only have fruits for breakfast.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • lily316
    3 years ago

I get up later and an hour later have a brunch which is always the same. Organic grained bread with mozzarella cheese on both sides, a hard-boiled eggs sliced and a sliced avocado grilled for 2 and 1/2 minutes on the panini grill and a bowl of blueberries, blackberries , raspberries and watermelon (sometimes a banana too. )

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lily316
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    3 years ago

"summersrhythm_z6a

A big meal before bedtime can really help you to grow, sideways I mean. :-) I am trying to lose at least 10lbs, so only have fruits for breakfast."

But according to physiology, your digestion system does not start to absorb until much later, 10 to 12 hours later after eating.

We all have different bodies. My eating habit has allow my weight to remain very constant my entire life without dieting.

dcarch

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

I haven't eaten a grapefruit in........a very long time! Do you put sugar on it?

I had an avocado with salsa.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • beesneeds
    3 years ago

I baked up some mashed potato balls- lots of green onions in them. Sliced tomato on the side.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked beesneeds
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I'm eating a 3 egg omelette with cubed ham and pepperjack cheese. Yum!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

DH made himself sausage and eggs. I had one of his sausage patties and an Eggo waffle with butter and maple syrup - a cup of Scottish breakfast tea.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

seagrass

a cup of Scottish breakfast tea

Does that mean you put a shot of Scotch in your morning cup of tea? ;-p

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

I used to never eat breakfast, and when home, Jody had coffee with his friends. Now I cook breakfast every day. Today he had scrambled eggs and bacon and I had a BLT on toast. Yesterday it was steak and eggs for him....steak for me. The day before that pancakes and bacon. I don't eat eggs.

Actually, I feel better when I only eat a bite of something to take my vitamins and eat lunch about 11, but the schedule has changed.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

LoneJack - ugh! I hate scotch!! Milk and sugar only. It is a very strong, caffeinated black tea. I'm not much of a coffee drinker.

• John Liu
    3 years ago

On weekdays, I am up early for work. Often I don’t eat breakfast. When I do, it is either dinner leftovers, or a croissant from the coffee shop near my office.

I know that sounds awful, but I’ve gotten much better. For half my working life, I didn’t eat breakfast or lunch, just dinner. One meal a day. At least I stopped doing that.

What is more important to me is coffee. I have an espresso shot at home, then a large black coffee at the coffee shop. Every day. I also have a coffee maker in the office, but I like saying hi to the coffee shop people.

On weekends, my favorite thing to make for breakfast is roesti. Next favorite is omelettes. SWMBO likes to make bacon & scrambled eggs. So, nothing exotic. Your basic “comfort breakfast”.

I do like some more interesting breakfasts too. Congee is really fun if you have varied toppings. When traveling in the UK, I got to like stewed tomatoes. We found roesti in Switzerland, though it’s not so much of a breakfast food there.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

PB&J on a slice of Irish Soda Bread...