SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philip_raposo

Problem with install eng hardwood with photos. Help please.

Philip Raposo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey,Need some advice. The problem that I am noticing after completely the majority of the first room (closet not done) is there is unevenness in a second of the floor. Kind of like a wave.The subfloor is OSB. It was not in great form, condition is good but had some major sagging in an area. I used 15lb roofing felt to build up the area and this is where I seeing problems.The sag is some which would if been in the direction of the length of the planks. What remains now, which I don't understand why, in almost like a wave in the other direction (every 2 rows).I can feel in walking over top and laying a level perpendicular to the plants in that section I can see the high and low spots.I am stumped how this happened because I made sure to overlap and spread our the pieces of roofing felt to make even transitions from high to low spots. The lowest spots would have maybe 6 layers of felt to build up the area.I am laying here righting this and wondering if I should be ripping up the floors and redoing it? The rest of the install is near perfect if you ask me. Looks awesome, no gaps except around perimeter and super square. You cant visibly see the issue but can feel it.Plants are max 71" long and 5" wide. It's eng hardwood. 3/4 thick on top of OSB. Nailed.What should I do here?If I rip up everything and try to do a better job releveing the subfloor with a different method (not sure how I would do it) would the OSB subfloor get ruined from pulling up all the boards with the nails? Can I not scrap all my planks and reuse em?Any idea why I got the wave I am seeing?

Comments (5)