SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leamonzgirl

Accent chair and decor help

Tara L
3 years ago

Here is a picture of our living room. I would like some design suggestions on what to add to the room. I was thinking and accent chair? 1 or 2?

I have decor for the mantle but also would mind suggestions for what to put on the wall to the right and left if the television.

We are getting a fireplace built and will be adding white and gray stone.

We got rid of our rug and would prefer not to have one.

Any suggestions and visuals would be very helpful. Thanks so much

Comments (30)

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago

Your photo did not attach.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is is. Thank you.

• Related Discussions

Help with Decor or Accent Wall

Q

Comments (1)
    The walls are a light gray. Unfortunately they look more of a green in the pictures.
    ...See More

Help me decorate my fireplace accent wall

Q

Comments (4)
    Not a pro, but here are my thoughts... I think your mantle is cluttered, I'd clear the small items and replace w/ a few, more substantial objects (a plant, a vase, large candle sticks, something seasonal, etc). The pic above the fireplace is pretty - but the dimensions seem off as it's nearly the same width as the fireplace, I wonder if it would look better 6-8 inches above sofa? The black picture frames are pretty, but they might be too high, double check they're at the right height - the middle of the art should be 57-60 inches off the ground. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic - but I'd center the sofa (facing the fireplace) and the rug with the fireplace. It's a real pretty space, clean & cozy :-)
    ...See More

help me choose accent chairs

Q

Comments (33)
    Agree the lighting will get some work too. Do you think I should use gray for the accent chair? My kitchen cabinets and counters are gray and the dinning room chairs are also gray. Floor lamp is in my oficial list for next items to add!
    ...See More

Help! how to decorate a wood accent wall and decorating tips?

Q

Comments (35)
    You have options! North side, have shine - powder-coated iron and hand-painted gold finish. This item includes two panels, to hang in a few ways. 2 panels, and each is 24 x 15 x .5” https://www.dotandbo.com/wildorchid/product/designs4comfort-magnolia-storage-ottoman-with-trays-tan-fabric?cacheBuster=1642497158&osky_campaign=end-of-page&osky_content=29
    ...See More
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

You need an area rug to anchor the seating area.

• roarah
    3 years ago

Have you tried the sofa facing the tv and fireplace thereby making the fireplace the focal in addition to unblocking your window. Than two Swivel chairs flanking the Fireplace to create viewing seats when needed but also turn toward the sofa for conversations. Pretty space I like the yellow with grey and might even consider yellow velvet chairs if it were my space.

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Can couch be moved to face tv/fireplace? If moving, you could add a console under window. (Can you add a bracket in the middle of rod, as it’s sagging.)

In regards to accessorizing, you mentioned you just got rid of a rug, but a small one will help define the space.

You don’t need anything on either side of fireplace and especially wait until fireplace is redone.

Finally, chairs....if you could provide a picture of whole room, so size and quantity can be easier to recommend. I’d recommend a light beige.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the other side of the room.

I like the picture and the chair. Also I can’t decide on curtains. Which of these or should I just choose a shiny slate gray for both? And yes I will buy a bracket in the middle.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

You could add a chair on the right on a bit of a slant and even add an ottoman for more comfort, if there is room.

I’d still add a small rug and in regards to drapes the yellow on both windows

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One chair or 2?

Would a slipper chair be too short?

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Slipper chairs‘ heights can vary from around 29 to 36 inches. They are good choices for additional guest seating, but if you want more comfort and wider, its cost will increase. Because they are slighter, two would be best as one could get lost. Price can really vary as well, so maybe compare getting one really good, comfy chair vs two slipper chairs. Depends on how you want to use

One below is higher, comes in lots of colors and has a mid range price so should be a decent quality.

• Juli
    3 years ago

What Elaine said about the yellow of the curtains and I would nix yellow curtains and go for a charcoal colored velvet. Velvet is a wonderful material for hanging. No slipper chairs, get two arm chairs in either a beige print or if you like more color a greener side of teal, but not bright., also in velvet or chenille. The yellow of your art and pillow is where you want to be in tone. No matchy matchy art, one flower is good. Really like your sofa's and coffee table. A darker jute would be a good anchor "rug" for your room.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the feed back everyone. I have a lot to think about. So I have to decide on both yellow curtain or a dark charcoal colored...

The chair being on the right is really close to the doorway so I wonder if it’s best directly across from the sofa? I do like the sofa wing there better. We had it near the window but the wall was so large with a small loveseat and it looked odd. Okay so nothing on the sides of the tv.

Fireplace is almost done. Some white stone like tiles is being added. And the television is 5 inches larger.

• mjd232
    3 years ago

Have you considered switching the sofa and loveseat? Think it might feel better.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It was actually like that for a couple of months and I didn’t like it. Maybe I will try it again but it just looks so empty over there

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I also didn’t really like the sofa pushed back against the window because it kind of nestles in due to that little wall near the door.

I just feel like the open space across from the so far it is so huge. To me it makes the living room feel empty. Directly across from the sofa is the console table with a mirror above it and a staircase to go upstairs.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Just read all comments & looked at pics. I’ll echo drapery comments - the windows should have same treatment so do please pick one style of drape for both. The rod also needs to be heavier duty & needs center support since both sag. i keep looking at floral art on left wall closest to fireplace - it’s off center in space & too close to drape edge. Right side looks centered. They both also look hung a bit high but not sure of that. But, I see a tiny floral mirror ? on wall to left of love seat that’s really high & something opposite on fireplace wall that’s extremely high. They both look too small for their spaces & look like they should be parts of a grouping. I’d take them down & reuse somewhere else. Last, the end table in right corner by fireplace looks lost. I’d like to see it pulled over to side of couch & remove the candle pillars. They might work on coffee table. Could be that when you decide on a chair you’ll need to place that table by the chair so it has a light & / or a place to set a drink down. I do like your couches too as several have said. I also like slipper chairs - there are comfortable ones out there if wide enough. But in your space my vote is for a comfy arm chair with a pattern to add texture to room. Doesn’t have to be big overstuffed chair. An area rug would warm & soften space. I don’t think it has to be huge to fill the room if reason you got rid of rug is so your pretty floors would show.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. Should the chair be opposite the sofa? I feel like the space there is so open and large

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

I’m guessing opposite sofa is logical place for a chair and table as it wouldn’t fit on the 3 walls you’ve shown us with your current furniture arrangement. You mentioned a console table opposite sofa - how much floor space between it & coffee table? I’m guessing that’s the space ypu described as open & large. The other thing is, floating the chair in open space would help define that area & it breaks up the look of furniture lining the walls of the room. While looking at chairs it might be helpful to cut a piece of cardboard the size of the footprint dimensions of the chair, put it on the floor to help visualize the space it takes & how you walk around it. That’s helped me in the past!

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would say about 7 feet from the coffee table to console table.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Wow - yes! Perfect spot for a chair in your space!! Looks like lots of room for chair & a side table. I also see the 2 companion flower mirrors on the wall with drapes. I’d suggested finding a new home for the one on other side of window - add it to this for a group of 3. Or, hang all 3 of them to left of your front door & place them offset a bit from each other not in a vertical line,

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sure thing I can hand them there tomorrow.

I was worried that putting a chair and table there would get in the way of the “walkway”...

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

In my photo the space between wall & chair back is 43” - more than ample walk space. This chair is very large with a 38” depth front of arm to back. Total space used is 6.75’ You said your space is @ 7’ so it seems like you have enough room especially since you’ll likely be looking at smaller chairs than the one I‘m showing you. But, that‘s the reason to place a cardboard the size of chair foot print in the space. To get a better feel for space the object takes up & see how the traffic flows around it, Remember too that with chairs some of the space they take up is with the slant of the back so it’s air space as well as floor space. I can’t tell what your space is between long side of coffee table & couch. I’ve read it should be no more than 16” to allow both leg room when sitting on couch & ability to reach & set drink down. If your space is wider than that, suggest pulling in to try out. That would also give you more potential chair space.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Looking at your space again - a chair could be angled closer to your loveseat too & so not really in actual walkway. if the wall console is on has any length not shown in photo,s some slight adjustment might be possible if console moved down the wall a bit.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok thanks. I’m thinking of a good accent chair... I though beige, dark gray, pattern with gray white and maybe a little yellow... I really do want a pattern but I also don’t want to spend a fortune.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I also want robe chairs for decor not really for us to sit in. Guests can sit on it but we usually sit on the couches.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Not sure about your “robe chair” reference but do make sure the chairs are comfortable for sitting & aren’t just a decorative item or you’ll forever regret it! Your guests will too.☺️

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry typo Accent chair.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

More auto correct nonsense at work in addition to small typo! 😆. Yes, ok - accent chairs. But, please do make sure they offer some comfort in seating or they‘ll just be a waste of $$ & space. Our homes are for living and making them pretty as well as functional is a fun and happy thing to do. I hope you saw my suggestion of placing a floor mock-up of the space any chair you’re considering will occupy. Helps to set expectations & prevent problems before purchase.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I also had the loveseat across from the sofa and to me it was just too bulky but I’m going to try again.

Ill get a plan together if the living room.