SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blinktmb

Should we put a mini fridge in our outdoor BBQ area?

blinktmb
3 years ago

We are building a house, and will have a built-in BBQ area in the back yard, off the terrace. I know we will get a built-in gas grill, and possibly also a built-in charcoal grill/smoker (one appliance that does both), though we may opt to not build that in, and just store in the shed when not in use, since that will be more of a special/occasional use item.

Anyways, while we think we definitely need a small sink out there for washing hands (whether from putting food on the grill or for kids playing outside), I'm not sure about whether we need a fridge. We aren't people who would store lots of bottled drinks in there--we are more likely to have a water glass that we'd fill up from the filtered tap in the kitchen (which is on the far end of the house, NOT adjacent to the terrace/BBQ), or we'd grab specific cans of beer or wine from the kitchen or mudroom fridge. The only time I could see us stocking an outdoor fridge with drinks would be for a larger gathering, which honestly would not happen often. While I love the thought of entertaining all the time, in reality it will usually be just the 3 of us (me, my husband, my toddler)!

So the real use for the fridge that I could foresee would be for cooking--holding condiments? Except we will not have a formal dining table outdoors, so will not have an official meals out there...we would come back into the kitchen, where we'd keep condiments, salad, etc. I thought maybe using it for holding raw meat before cooking, but large trays or plates would not fit in a mini fridge anyways...I'd just bring them out from the kitchen fridge. The only time we'd sit and eat outside would be an informal BBQ day when we kinda mingle, kids are outside playing, sit down at the coffee table on the terrace and eat with plates on our laps, etc.

Our main fear is regretting NOT putting one in, because it seems like most everyone does!

Other factors:

- we have one young child, could be a second down the road

- we aren't currently people who spend a ton of time outdoors, but we don't have a yard right now (we live in a townhouse with no yard), and as our child gets older. and a this new house will have a large yard, we think we'll spend more and more time outside.

- we live in a climate where we'll only be out there grilling from maybe April to October.

Comments (26)