SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_quesadillas

Shutters or roller shades for a dark room?

3 years ago

This ugly wall of gross blinds is the last eyesore on our home I need to fix. We have kids and both my husband and prefer to avoid blinds of any type (including high end wooden blinds). The rest of our home has white shutters installed by the previous owner but we are stuck on whether to add them to this wall.

The major issue against shutters is that this room is huge and those are the only windows. It's east facing and those windows look out onto a covered patio that let very little light in. I find myself opening the blinds or raising them completely to let as much natural light in as possible and I worry shutters (even wide nice ones) don't allow as much light in as a shades or blinds that are completely raised. Opening the entire shutter wouldn't be an option because it would block a relatively narrow walkway behind our couch. Lastly I worry white shutters would make that wall look too blah and there isn't room to hang art or really add color (other than painting the door maybe?)?

Solar shades are out because our neighbors live very close behind us and would definitely be able to see into our home at night. The rest of our home is very modern and I feel long drapes look very traditional and fussy and not right for the style of our home.

We are considering roller shades (blackout) in a white fabric with blue flecks. I worry we would need to get a valence to cover the mechanism but I know those are very dated. I like the idea that roller shades would add some color but I'm not sure if they would look nice?

What do you recommend for my ugly windows that would let tons of light in and provide total privacy at night while seeming appropriate in a very modern home?

Comments (6)