SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_983909755

HELP - 11x13 Master Bath - privacy shower and toilet placement

H
3 years ago

Hi there -

Sorry for the long post but looking for broader thoughts and insights on our design dilemma. We are in the process of working with architect/draftsman to design a popup addition where the master bath will go directly above the kitching and edge of dining space. It is a 1960s ranch (1300sqft main level) where plumbing is lined up in the the center of the house with the kitchen on one wall and the other 2 main floor baths are directly adjacent on the backside of the kitchen wall. I am trying to avoid a toilet that is directly above the primary cookspace (trying to invoke some feng shui and practicality of any possible bad luck leak someday - toilet flooding is no good anywhere period, but all the same...). We also want to remain cognizant of cost so trying not to move plumbing to opposite corners of house or start messing further with feng shui dynamics if we can. That leaves 3 other corners. The other dilemma is that after going multiple rounds with architect and pouring over pictures/ideas on Houzz etc, I realize that I want to maintain some privacy for the shower but all new designs seem to favor full glass showers to give that amazing open, light factor. I suppose final answer could just be partial frosted glass but was hoping for some design and crowdsource on thoughts for a nice design.

DH and I are major shower only people and would like a really nice bigger one. We don't see 2 people shower together to save time type luxury. Just more spacious for us to get our relaxation on and basic washing, shaving etc needs. However, to get most out of resale (someday in a decade or so maybe, or some unforeseen lifechange), we are leaving a tub in as option but fine to remove if there are better options with the space we have. We have drawn in a walk-in closet on the other side of the bathroom 8.5x11ft. I don't think we need to change that but don't want dead space in the master bath either if we forego tub. I'm a major utilitarian and hate total dead/wasteful space even if it is spa nice. Want to leave some storage but we don't need a full closet added - cabinetry is good though. I think a ginormous shower is too big as we have been to nice hotels where there are super high ceiling and full length room long, and we just get cold and that much further to a towel to warm up. Maybe 3 or 4x6 with a ledge/seat? 5x5.5? Current shower is 3x5 and we use a curtain. Relative to privacy. I didn't realize how much I appreciate the curtain until I started thinking thru bathroom utilization. Husband actually uses our guest bathroom currently because our master is so small (it is 5x8 big and uses a tiny powder room vanity sink, mirror with 2 inch width ledge and top of toilet for my toiletries. Thus, we don't share now other than everyone uses our shower for some reason. In a master DH and I would share the space. This means more privacy as even after 14yrs, we prefer not to let it all hang out. Our 2 kids also tend to come by and ask questions during shower time and even as they approach teens, don't see that changing radically.

I also would like space for a makeup mirror - I am totally blind without my contacts but did my makeup (pre-covid) before putting contacts in to avoid accidental eyeliner makeup dots on the contacts. Have found myself sitting on the floor in front of full length bedroom mirror to get close enough to see or craning over our mini sink to get to the mirror to see. I don't necessarily need a full sit down makeup vanity but looking for help/ideas to do this without cramming it all into a space. I can always install a suction cup, wallmount pull out mirror in the end but if it can fit nice, would like an idea/assist.

Are walled in showers (3 walls) too old school and unappealing and claustrophobic? Saw a drawing (but not actual pics) of a shower zone maybe behind a vanity or a WC but not sure if that just make the whole space feel crammed vs open and inviting like most master baths are going (and that we like for the open/spacious feeling). Have tried to simulate some in home.by.me website but just looking if people have ideas/samples to help us. We are driving architect crazy but he is more about just tell me about the dimensions you need to draw in. Have not gone to a bath designer anywhere in this current environment yet and thought I would try here...

Here is floorplan and some of the options (not sure if this gets too small and blurry once posted):

Popup floor plan with dimensions (we have changed some of the upstairs master entry door but this one shows actual dimensions and the main floor to give a sense of what we are talking):

Below are ideas presented from architect and that I played with in home.by.me:

Opt1 - Maybe tuck the shower further behind WC with a wall? I like idea of a wet room, but don't think we have the space for that and don't want to lose light from window. Also having trouble finding pics of wet room type constructs. Don't like the shub/portmanteau idea where the shower and tub are together and you are basically taking a shower with a tub immediately to one side of you. I think it would just get cold and cleaning could be a pain for a tub we may use 1x every 5-10yrs.

Opt2: WC along main line of current plumbing (this may be more cost effective? would it also help if there were future plumbing problems?) although architect didn't seem to think tub would work to make room for a makeup vanity. And said the tubs that are adjacent to showers are no longer desirable and viewed as too clunky... Is it too tight to turn WC the other way. Eg. shorten turn shower lengthwise along window wall, or fatten/square out shower without compromising shower? Also closing in shower with wall or just use frosted glass?

Opt3: More trendy (maybe too trendy and too crammed for an 11x13 master bath??) - shower behind vanity

Opt4: Even more trendy and too hotel/spa that wouldn't go over in resale for a 1960s popup and for such a small space?

Was thinking WC and shower could be covered/by a wall with access doors and bathtub on other side?

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated, particularly pitfalls that we should consider etc...

Thanks!

Comments (7)