What will you do with the very last homegrown 2020 season?

rob333 (zone 7a)

Obviously what I've done with the very last of my tomatoes! I thoroughly enjoyed them all!

SaveComment13Like1
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marilyn_Sue

I still have zucchini to shred and dehydrate and sweet peppers to do something with. I think the tomatoes are gone. Have had a freeze here.

Sue in Central Indiana

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I am still picking raspberries. I'm freezing them and when the plants are done producing I will make jelly for Christmas gifts. I have some carrots in the garden still and am thinking of making and canning the carrot fennel soup from Ball. Don't know if I'll be able to find any fennel but you can use celery instead.

Save    
Judy Good

Still freezing squash here in Michigan.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

We had a killing frost here as well and my tomatoes got pulled several weeks ago. Peppers and beans are toast. The only thing I have left to harvest is the horseradish root.

Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Son-in-law put the tomato vines on the compost pile today. Oh, do I hate to see the last of the tomatoes!

Save    
tvq1

We are enjoying our last few ripe tomatoes, I'll be sad when they're gone.

We have several nice green (unripe) tomatoes--we will fry those. We always look forward to fried green tomatoes in the fall.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I wish I had some tomatoes. I wasn't able to get out to the farm store much this year. I missed them.

Save    
patriciae_gw

We could cosset them, kiss them, and coddle them and we would never get that tomato you had on toast Rob. We just dont get the heat that gives the flavor.

Save    
arcy_gw

We made cordial from the last pick of raspberries before the 8" of snow fell yesterday.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I have too many squash, cherry tomatoes and peppers that I took some to a coworker at her house today, since she wasn't working tonight. Still have corn, turnips, green onions and carrots to harvest. Only one of those ready are the green onions. Tons of green cherry tomatoes on the vine and won't pick them until I think we're going to have a freeze. I also have bigger tomatoes but they are far from being ripe and probably will have to be picked way before.

My green beans are finally over, I think, only picked one today...well, yesterday now. The okra is still growing but they are all stunted, I guess from the cooler temps. They resemble balls more than okra.

Will probably just grill everything like I have been. Tomatoes I prefer fresh, last week I made a bunch of BTs out of my cherry tomatoes, trying to use them up and my hamburger buns I had leftover from a 12 pack walmart sent me in a delivery instead of an 8 pack. Had no lettuce in the house but they were still pretty good.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

The last of my homegrown are Jimmy Nardello peppers. And I'll use them as always--the final meal of sauteed peppers and onions with Italian sausage. Best fall meal ever.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

sounds like some of you do as I do, traditions! I often use my very very last tomatoes for sauce for something very autumnal. I did it early as I just wasn't feeling the "as many BLTs as you want!" thing. I do also grow herbs and peppers. I guess the only annual herb I grow is basil. I'm still pinching leaves off. The peppers ripen up, and I chop up anything unused for the freezer to use all winter long. Nothing like a good serrano or habanero to warm you up in the cold months ;)

P.S. patriciae, I put them out as early as I can and not stunt their growth, but I never, never get any before late August, so it's only one month's worth. I have to wonder who is it that gets them so early, i.e. what part of the country since I'm fairly far south. I guess not "south enough"

Save    
joyfulguy

Frost cooked the beans' goose; some swiss chard has survived so available to harvest - for a few days. Will cook some, may try to freeze some, to see how that may develop.

ole joyful

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Trending Now 8 Shade Structure Ideas From Summer 2020’s Top Outdoor Photos
See how various materials and other details create comfortable and stylish pergolas and other shade structures
Full Story
Trending Now 34 Trends That Will Define Home Design in 2020
Kick off the decade in style with the latest materials, colors and other elements you may be seeing a lot more of soon
Full Story
Tile 3 Top Tile Trends for 2020
See the latest colors, shapes and patterns in tiles being introduced this year
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More