SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geegess

fireplace confusion and dilemma

3 years ago

Building a new home. Probably best described as Modern Prairie style but more MCM and less Craftsman.

I have two fireplaces - one in hearth/kitchen area and another in living room. I had originally thought I would install linear fireplaces (specifically the new Foundation series by Heat n Glo) but because I live in a rural area, I cannot find anyone to install this type of fp.

Upon further thought, I am now leaning toward a more traditional MCM look by installing a simple masonry woodburning firebox and installing gas logs and gas doors. I can buy a masonry fp that is more rectangular shape - 42 X 28 viewing area or 50 x 33.

I am really having a design crisis about this. I do not want the fireplace to look dinky and as if I dropped the 'design ball' with regard to the style of the house. I think I can do quite a bit with fireplace surround, contemporary mantle, etc but am still doubting myself.

Additionally, I like the idea that the fireplace to provide some ambient heat along with atmosphere. Gas logs that come on with a flip of a switch is appealing.

BUT, can I hang a tv over an open fireplace with gas logs? I can find lots of info about this regarding vented gas fireplace units but not about actual fp with logs

Would greatly appreciate your help and thoughts.

Comments (8)