SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenimal

Design Dilemma (Cast Stone Fireplace)

jenimal
3 years ago

I just painted my walls bright white, which now makes my natural-color cast stone fireplace stick out as Yellow, which doesn’t match the modern style I’m going for. Unfortunately a partial/entire demolition costs a few thousand dollars. Does anyone have suggestions to improve the appearance in a tasteful elegant way?

Someone suggested Painting over it, but I’m concerned that could cheapen the appearance. Are there other methods of altering the color of cast stone?

Alternatively, does anyone have creative design suggestions to minimize the appearance of the fireplace? I thought perhaps a big chandelier could “cover” the view and take attention away from it.

Any opinions or suggestions are most welcome!

Thank you.

Comments (193)

• User
    3 years ago

Signature Linear Chandelier Gold Leaf · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Kuzco Lighting MP10305-BK Pendant Vega Black · More Info

• Related Discussions

Fireplace stone - Please help with design decision!

Q

Comments (5)
    mjlb - I love that too! Although I didn't do that on mine, I think it would be an easy update. I also like the sconces on the columns. jakabedy - Oh good, I did something right? Thank you for that. I never really thought of the mini brick as contemporary (maybe the glass, but not the other) ... probably becuase it still has that traditional subway pattern. My main conern is using the same size (whether 1x2, 2x4, or 3x6) for both bs and fp. I also thought that using the smaller tile would provide more variation in the color of the stones, and give a bit of a casual, slightly rustic look????
    ...See More

cast stone mantel?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks kippy, yes my mom is going to make cushions. Pal I guess you're right about the floor but the old fireplace covered the floor corner between the hearth and the wall. So it is unfinished wood. So it would be less work to cover it back up again and I think if I stained/varnished it that it would never look completely right anyway. What do you think of the style I posted? My house is a typical McMansion neo eclectic so it doesn't have a lot of style direction one way or another. Annie everyone I've spoken to about the crown thinks that I would for sure have to do the whole wall over and possibly the whole room if I mess w the crown. And I'm not thrilled with the look right now anyway. Though taking out the rough hewn beams and lion heads lightened things up, the whole space feels so so heavy to me.
    ...See More

90’s Fireplace remodel design dilemma

Q

Comments (12)
    I would remove the existing pillars and mantel, they look too crowded against the windows. I would install a clean and simple modern tile around the fireplace. I think you could pull off the TV mounted once you get the pillars and mantel out, install a lower ledge to help protect the TV from the heat of the working fireplace. Lowering the ledge/mantel and with today's TV mounts should allow the TV to be positioned easier for viewing. Do your research on TV mounts, most of todays TV's are super light but block for it in the wall if necessary, particularly if you think you will be moving t he arm mount around often. You will get your depth from the TV and the ledge mantel so dont worry about creating more with trims and moldings. Best of luck!
    ...See More

Window Treatment Design Dilemma

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for the comments everyone. The previous owner had long sheers on the swing rods by the fireplace and back rectangle doors which were decorative only and looked a bit frumpy - especially with the radiators. The original owner (from photos) had heavy large, lined velvet drapes across all three window walls along with hardware on the lower two thirds of each window/door holding permanent sheers across each door and window using a top and bottom rod. If I find the picture, I will post it. It is sort of fun to see. (This is a home that has been in my spouse's family at different generations.) The floor shown is actually the pine subfloor that was under the original horse hair carpet. While the wood is pretty hard given its age at harvesting in the 1930s, it has cracks, splinters, and (in some places) half inch gaps between the boards with light from the basement showing. When the last owner refinished it, they tried filler in the gaps which has been popping out. ddeegw - I would be interested in knowing your thoughts behind not going too cool in the room- especially if the trim is painted a white shade. The intent would be to go into the white family. While I feel bad changing some of the original decor in the home, much is damaged, and the home feels very dark and sort of "dingy/dirty." All of the original light fixtures used that yellow tint glass shade and walls were very yellowy.
    ...See More
  • jenimal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can’t help it... sharing a few more options! If there are any you think likely would NOT look good please do say so (because you would be saving me from yet another poor design decision :-)

• jenimal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@gargamel I like the gold curly one too!! I was a little worried that everyone (other than me) might think it looks very kitschy. But I’m glad that’s not the case!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ital I love both of those. Do you think a gold or brass finish is ideal (over black and dark iron)?

@gargamel you make a good point about there being enough vertical lines already in the room... so maybe the more horizontal or curly/fractal shapes would be best! Thank you for the tip...

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Im thinking the space needs a warm sheltering chandelier to hover over the table to draw the focus into a pool of light for dining and sharing, but if you a prefer a cool scene, think rainfall showers, something dark but lightweight. Nothing too spiky or spider like or that looks heavy if it on people‘s heads.

• User
    3 years ago

This is interesting but it is copper which ,might not mix in right

Cascading Copper Globe Drop Chandelier 3-Piece, Multi #2 · More Info

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Of your first options, I think B is best. You need the horizontal length in that room, and anything under 24" is going to look too small. I do think the gold/brass finish is best in your space, and picks up the subtle gold from the wallpaper. Some black is okay, like in B, but I wouldn't add more in front of the deep blue paper.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I agree that as much expansion as you can get horizontally in a style you like is the way to go, and to have the finish be more gold or brass. A vertical narrow fixture would work but it would be a statement all it’s own.

All that said I think whatever you pick You need to be careful about whether the finish is too plastic, which might be a problem with the more curlicued LED ones. Don’t know.

I do tend to like the swoopier free-form styles, but I see some with sharp geometries I think could work. So I’m putting a lot here just for fun

Tech Lighting 700LSBLTG-LED930 Balto Linear Suspension · More Info

Brass Sputnik Chandelier | Eichholtz Luxor, silver, 34"W x 34"D x 33"H · More Info

I’m not sure these boomerangs below work at all

IRIS CHANDELIER : Brass Light Fixture | Adjustable LED Lighting · More Info

This next one comes in clear or smoke glass with gold-ish branching

Branching Chandelier, Hand Blown amber Vintage Crackle Bubble Glass · More Info

9 Light 2-Tier Chandelier Satin Gold Finish White Fabric Shade - Chandelier · More Info

Maxim Lighting 30337BKGLD Honeycomb 7-Light LED Chandelier in Black / Gold · More Info

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello friends! As promised, here is an update photo!! I added the decal to the back wall and have been waiting to decide on what the right chandelier looks like. Please share any and all feedback, or suggestions for anything that doesn’t look great. Thank you all for helping this room come together!!!! 👏🏼

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is your “after” photo, incorporating your feedback :-)

• User
    2 years ago

I really like the mural and want to see more of it. I tend to think everything white in the room stops the eye and distracts from the mural and the great sweep of gold. I’d consider a different light fixture, but I would definitely take the white rug off the floor and everything white off the sideboard.

The table has such ornate carved legs that I think if you are not going to go with old world chairs, you need to go starkly in the opposite direction

Wire Dining Chair, Rose Gold Finish, Black Seat Pad · More Info

Allure Series Transparent Side Chair With Gold Frame · More Info

Performance Velvet Dining Side Chair with Gold Stainless Steel Legs, Sea Blue · More Info

Angel Velvet Dining Chair (Set of 2), Gray · More Info

I’ll come back with some light fixture suggestions…

• User
    2 years ago

So some light fixtures (but I also want to suggest no mirror in the room)

Chandelier Laguna, Burnished Gold · More Info

Ripple Chandelier, Bronze, Gold, Large · More Info

Kuzco Lighting CH14232-GD LED Chandelier Sirius Minor Gold · More Info

Cyan Design Jellyfish White Eight-Light Pendant · More Info

Damas Pendant Light · More Info

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

It looks very nice! The room looks more on the brighter side compared to the the pic you posted asking about light fixtures, where it looked more moody. That vintage amber hand blown bubble glass fixture that ital posted a while back is beautiful.

• User
    2 years ago

Branching Chandelier, Vintage Amber Crackle Bubble Glass 6 Globes · More Info

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How would you stack rank these 5 ghost designs? They come in clear or kinda Gray Smoky color.

Love the suggestion about Ghost Clear chairs, Ital! Now, I’m looking at light fixtures again…

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I took your advice and removed all the white items. I also removed the birds of paradise plant on the right wall, but now I’m not sure what should go there. Maybe a long vertical painting or a long oval wall mirror? Or a big tall bushy tree? Or maybe nothing? I’m open to any ideas for how to make the blue mural pop more. Would it be crazy to apply dark wall paper on all the white walls?

Per your suggestion I will also remove the Left hand leaning mirror.

I’m very confused about the rug (and whether I should remove it). I am afraid that the honey floor will clash with the dark red/brown wood.

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is a second photo in different lighting. Please excuse the mess!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am considering these lights… do you think they will go well? I’m concerned they might block the mural.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like your first 2 lighting choices and the last, but the third looks different (is it) and seems too atomic (the others more branchy and organic)

However, in the photo of your 3rd lighting choice, I like the chair. It’s called a Ponder chair and it comes in loads of colors

Modway Ponder Set Of 2 Dining Side Chair With Navy Finish EEI-3506-NAV · More Info

However, if you did white Ponder chairs, as in the photo, it’s possible you could get away with using your present light fixture. It emphasize the gathering function of the room and would diminish the drama of the niche mural, but you could get that back by positioning many of your beautiful plants in the niche area. The original inspiration for the mural in the niche was the plants, so I would bring them back in plentitude to create a 3-d effect and extend the niche. It should be like a rampant garden bursting in from the outside!

I think I would like the leaning mirror in the room more if it were to the right of the niche and had a lot of plants in front of it.

For the ghost chairs, I think I like the armchairs on Eiffel legs best, and possibly with those you could stick with your present light fixture, even though I do like your new proposals. By the way, circle-backed ghost chairs also come in amber and other colors, and there are other untradtional stylels of transparent chairs. Not saying any of these are right, but just showing you

The Enders Dining Chair, Polypropylene, Set of 2, Black and Transparent Amber · More Info

Leisuremod Modern Cornelia Dining Chair C18CL · More Info

Leisuremod Astor Plastic Dining Chair with Chrome Base, Set of 2, Transparent Blue · More Info

Not transparent, but these are fun

New Pacific Direct Wolfgang 18" Fabric Chair in Cream Beige (Set of 2) · More Info

I like the rug. I think it grounds the space. If you have infinite energy, once you choose lights and chairs you can reconsider how the combo looks with and without rug….

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Per your suggestions, I tried different configurations of the plants and mirror (sorry for the mess). What do you guys think?

Another idea is to put a hanging plant or two at the right wall. But maybe that’s too many plants and could look cluttered?

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I forgot to include the photos of your suggestions. Feel free to critique as you wish. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I will definitely shop for a new light fixture. But the left and right walls (and what to put IN the niche) are not quite coming together.

Sorry for the mess in the room!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ital thank you so much for the suggestions! I will check out the chairs. Do you happen to know what the quality of these chairs are, since there are no reviews?

Between the clear arm chairs with Eiffel legs, and blue velvet chairs with brass/gold legs, which do you think will be the better look?

I will keep the rug for now per your suggestion!

And I will look at the branch-like Sputnik light fixtures. Do you think I should get clear glass, or slightly yellow/gold tinted or smoke gray tinted glass?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I liked your tall plant to the right of the alcove. The plant echoes the wallpaper, and the vertical plant balances the alcove with a softer shape than the large mirror. I'd use clear glass on the light fixture. Mount your large mirror on the wall opposite the window, or use that wall for artwork. Your rug is fine. I think the ghost chairs with the gold legs may work, but I also like your current chairs. I like your table with modern chairs, but you need to be careful not to use chairs with such dainty legs like the ones posted above or they look unbalanced and out of place.

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cali thanks so much for this great advice! I am shopping for a light fixture and will try to work with the vertical plant on the right wall (without a mirror)! I’ll see how they work together with the current chairs and heed your advice on new chairs (and dainty legs). Great advice. Thank you!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s an update photo! Please feel free to critique anything freely or make suggestions. Sorry for the mess in the dining room. I’m moving a lot of things around. I’m going to move the mirror out from behind the right wall.

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Do the two large rooms clash with one another? The tall living room has very cool gray colors, and the dining room is more red & gold. I’m afraid that they maybe clash with each other.

I’m also concerned that maybe the Living Room has too many clashing styles in one room.. I could perhaps remove some of the pillows and geometric shapes to make it more consistently classic?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

The two rooms look great together. The living area is blue and gray with a soft gold on the fireplace, and the dining area is blue and gold with a rug that reads as gray. The dark blue ties the rooms together yet they have their own personality. You've got good taste and nice pieces - trust your own judgement! I like the addition of the blue pot stand to your living room. The pillow styles are fine but I would only use one or two at most in each chair.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I'm back to make a few suggestions. See below.

• Gargamel
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Your rooms are beautiful! I like Beverly’s suggestions for your Living Room - with the mirror gone from the fireplace and artwork to the right of the fireplace. Maybe it’s a crazy idea (especially since you already have artwork over your cabinet) but what about a triptych, with one of the 3 pieces to the right of the fireplace and the other 2 pieces above your cabinet. Just throwing it out there. You’ve done a great job!

• User
    2 years ago

all is looking really great. No clash there, just lots of interest. I don’t know the quality of these chairs and it really is an issue with online chairs, especially perhaps for a dining table if you like to have your guests linger at the table. (I’m okay with a big contrast between dainty legs and gallumphy table legs, but not of the quality is too off).

This isn’t like your room but yet it is and I like the way the grays keep the focus on a few important elements of the room

Portland Heights Neely House · More Info

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the photo update! Sorry for the delayed followup. I spent a lot of my time reporting my indoor plants and got side tracked (as you can see, the dining room is temporarily my plant room).

I have not yet moved the mirror off the fireplace yet but I think I will do that. I’m not sure if this looks better than the prior configuration but please feel free yo share any criticisms or suggestions!

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

It looks great!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!! The suggestions and advice from you and others on this forum have been incredibly appreciated and so valued! My next project is to redo the powder room which is adjacent to these sitting rooms. It has 9 foot ceilings with a long tunnel skylight, and is not huge but big enough to have a wide sink/vanity when you walk in the door, and a toilet to the right (room dimensions of 5.4” X 8.3”).

The prior owner installed this maple vanity/mirror which I really dislike. But I’m struggling to know what style should replace it! Does anyone have ideas or suggestions for what vanity/mirror style would go with the style of the living room?? I am very open to something with a fun personality but I have no idea where to start!! I am also open to fun wall paper but honestly I don’t how to get there. I prefer not to move the sink and sewage pipes but I guess I am open to any wild layout ideas too!

Should the floor stay or go? I’m really unsure…. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh and here is the surrounding rooms so you can see how it fits in the entryway area next to the living room!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The floor is off-white with Deep Blue inlay with gold specks. They looked black in the prior photos. Here is a better photo! The blue matches the blues in the Living Room, but I can’t tell if it looks tacky or if might look nice with the new vanity.

The skylight has a 7 foot tunnel to the roof, in addition to the 9 foot ceiling. So there is an airy feel to the room. A long vertical mirror could be interesting but I don’t know where it would go (and if it would be a huge custom project!) I’d prefer to make a few easy changes like a new vanity and wallpaper and light fixtures. The floor would probably add moderate time and effort, but if you all agreed that it’s hideous and can’t blend in, I would change it too!

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

You might get more suggestions if you post this as a separate dilemma…?

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good suggestion thank you!

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I'd keep the round mirror on your fireplace. For the bathroom, it all depends on budget. If you removed the tile you'd have free reign to do anything in there, but you can make it work with a new vanity. I'd try to find an interesting vanity since you'll see it from the main walkway. Maybe a stained wood antique vanity, or a more modern deep blue one. Or stick with a neutral white/cream and use a great wallpaper. I'd bring in some gold from your other areas in the lighting and vanity knobs.

San Mateo contemporary remodel · More Info

Beach Style Dining Room · More Info

Beautiful Brookfield Home · More Info

Seaside Bungalow · More Info

• plf12652
    2 years ago

I think your powder room could take a pretty dramatic wallpaper to keep the eye from going straight to the soaring ceiling! I don’t mind the tile on the floor but the vanity thing is not a keeper!

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Here is some color inspiration. I'd change the mirror to something decorative, but not too tall as you won't want to highlight the tall tunnel effect.

San Mateo contemporary remodel · More Info

Beautiful Brookfield Home · More Info

Seaside Bungalow · More Info

Or paint the ceiling blue since it is so high.

Beach Style Dining Room · More Info

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cali I love your examples! I am intrigued by your suggestion of “interesting vanity” I’m curious if you have any inspiration for me to understand what kind of character I should be looking for! You had mentioned modern deep blue (which I think I now understand from the examples you shared) but I’m not sure what you meant by antique wood. I’m very open to something more exotic and interesting. I’m just afraid I might pick the wrong one 🥺

• calidesign
    2 years ago

You have really great taste based on the rest of your house, so trust your own judgment! It just seems like this is an easy place to add some personality with the vanity and or mirror in an area that would be seen all the time walking by. You can have antique dressers or tables made into a vanity, or just add some interest with wallpaper or an unusual mirror shape. To keep costs down I'd probably keep your floor and just focus on the easy to change items.

Oak Reno · More Info

Hinsdale Renovation · More Info

Needham House Makeover · More Info

• J D
    2 years ago

Hey I’m not sure if someone suggested this earlier, but is it possible to stain the stone? You’d have to know what kind of stone it was and ask your contractor what they think, but it may be possible to change the color of it that way. Does anyone have experience doing this?

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I asked around and every contractor was too scared to stain it! So I gave up and took the advice from the Houzz community here — to instead add gold and warm yellow hues into the room to make it less of an eyesore!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@calidesign I’m at jenimal.atgmaail.d0t.c0m!

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You’re right. I think I will keep my tile and instead change up the vanity and the walls and fixtures. I love the blue-ish linen grassy wallpaper you shared above. It’s more my style to go conservative like that, but I am kinda tempted to go a little more bold and fun. Something more like your second example photo with the large leafy blue/white wall paper! I’m a little scared to do it though. Maybe the grass linen will work if the vanity is more interesting? What do you think about these wood carved vanities from Anthropologie? Could they work or do they clash with the flooring and the living room?

• jenimal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love the inlay, but I don’t have that ikat/Moroccan style anywhere else in my house and I’m afraid it could clash with the living and family room.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

This is a powder room, correct? You've got quite a bit of space, so I'd try to find a longer vanity at least as long as your current one. I think in a powder room you can take more risks in terms of style, and be more bold, especially if you're sticking with coordinating colors from your other rooms. I'm happy to offer suggestions and advice here, but I'm not a pro. Some of the pros on here may have better sources for finding the right vanity. I'd first decide if you want to use wallpaper with a simpler vanity or a more ornate vanity with more simple walls, and go from there. You can also keep the walls white, the vanity navy, and use an interesting mirror and artwork on the walls. That blue wallpaper with the wave design that you were looking at for the dining room could be really interesting in here, with a white vanity and gold fixtures. But a small room like this is a great opportunity to add a more patterned wall if you like that and want to switch it up.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I have a similar powder room problem, but mine is a smaller space. The challenge with wallpaper is deciding where to end it. My ceilings are 10 feet but the powder room is only 9x3’. You have the space for an interesting vanity to catch someone’s eye as they go into the room or walk past it. I love the navy blue color but an antique repurposed piece of furniture is always a conversation piece. Let us know what you do!
    Your living room looks great btw.