SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Sudden computer malfunction

mtvhike
3 years ago

Last night I was listening to some music files when all of a sudden, the music stopped, the hard disk started up, and everything was locked up. I couldn't start or stop any programs or shut down the computer. I unplugged the network and external devices (mouse, keyboard, and monitor) and let it run for several hours, but finally I unplugged it (it's a laptop) and let the battery run down overnight. This morning I plugged it in and it did start up again, but is behaving weirdly. I tried loading a few programs, including the Task Manager, and (initially) the TM says that they're no programs running. I tried starting Chrome and nada. Eventually (like after a 1/2 hour), Chrome came up with it's default links, including Houzz. So I was able to post this. The computer is still thinking about things, and, so far, everything I try to start works, but very slowly. I checked my virus protection software (Symantec Endpoint Protection), and everything was OK, although the Virus and Spyware Protection function had been updated yesterday (it doesn't report the time). Any thoughts?

Comments (5)