SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vitorama

‘Frosty Spears’ walking

vitorama
3 years ago

I’ve had this S. suffruticosa ‘Frosty Spears’ for years and it has gotten huge.(And sharp!) it’s about 18” tall now and I’ve had it in a 5” pot for 6 years! Terrible, right? Finally, it threw out a pup and the pup started with its arial roots so I figured it was time to give it a proper size pot. Lol. Notice the second pup forming now too.

Comments (21)

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    3 years ago

OMG Vitorama, how are you? You've been MIA. I hope you are okay.

Love your frosty spears, it is really cool. Are you going to put the large one in it's own pot?

vitorama thanked akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
  • vitorama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Nancy! I’m doing great! How are you?

I have such a hard time getting on this site from my phone, it’s frustrating, but I thought I’d drop in and say hi.

Thanks about the Frosty Spears. If you love the mother plant enough to own it, let me know. to answer your question, I don’t have the room to give mom it’s own pot! Lol. My collection is huge despite culling many of them this summer.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    3 years ago

Welcome back. Nice to see some action this time of year.

vitorama thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Well that is just downright awesome! I had not idea the could form legs like that! Apparently you are a very good plant parent!

vitorama thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • vitorama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Stush, thanks for the welcome!

popmama, this is the first I’d seen it grow the roots like that. I thought it was pretty cool. Thanks for the compliment!

robinswfl, sharp as heck!! I can’t tell you how many times it’s drawn blood on me! Lol. Between the the way the roots look and the way the spines jab, I would surmise(probably incorrectly) it maybe related to pinguicula genetically.

• Paula Zduncyk
    3 years ago

Hi Stush,
    Remember me from years ago? You kindly helped me, I am in North Versailles.
    I collect Sansevieria also. Here's my favorite

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

PaulaZ, Sent out cactus seedling July 2014. How's it doing? The ones I kept are about 15 inches tall now. They would have been bigger but planted in a small pot and kept very dry makes them good house plants. (the ones on the left)

Your plant appears to be Sansevieria Fischeri Singalaris 'smaller juvenile rosette'. I'm warned they can get big. I have one that stayed in that condition for many years now.

• Paula Zduncyk
    3 years ago

I'm afraid the plants I had in 2014 are all long gone. when I had to move all inside for winter, I wasn't prepared for that. They didn't get enough light. I have since learned

3 years ago

The mistakes I've made over the years as well. Still that's how we learn. High cost of the school of hard knocks! Never had a total loss yet. I've heard of some who had a mishap with their green house and lost every thing in their collection.

Reason why I love succulents, they are the most forgiving.

Oh, forgot to welcome you back. Hope all is well.

• Paula Zduncyk
    3 years ago

👍 All is good, age is taking a toll, but better than not being alive! Still living in same apartment in North Versailles.

• robinswfl
    3 years ago

Paula, your Sans fischeri is GORGEOUS! I am very envious. I had a lovely one once, similar to yours, but I lost it. I'm not really sure why, but I suspect my soil as not porous and aerated enough and it probably got water-logged.. Fischeri is one of my favorite plants and I am on the lookout now for a new one. Yours is just beautiful. Treasure it!

3 years ago

Robin, If you could wait till spring, I'll give you a start of mine. I have a smaller growing one that is staying small and I have the taller growing ones. Might be too cold right now maybe?

Paula, Just Googled Map your address. That is a very nice neighborhood. Shopping and everything is close by. I can see why your still there. My brother in-law was parish priest at Corpus Christi Parish just down the road in McKees Port. He's now at South Hills.

• Basia K
    3 years ago

'Leopard Bat' is not a cultivar of S.fischeri (see how different it looks!), it is a hybrid. And a very nice actually, I grow this too.

3 years ago

cactusalan

16 years ago

Sansevieria 'Leopard Bat' is a naturally occurring hybrid of S. fischeri and possibly S. raffillii. It is NOT a juvenile form of anything, nor is it a form of S. hallii (which used to be known as 'Baseball Bat'). If you want to find out more about sansevierias, why not join the International Sansevieria Society. The web site is www.cactus-mall.com/iss/index.html
    Best regards
    Alan Butler, ISS Chairman & Editor

Michaela

16 years ago

Smoley's fischeri Leopard Bat is just a name for the juvenile form of S. fischeri (aka singularis). The juvenile form takes the shape of a 3-4 leaved rosette whose leaves are about 4-6 inches long in my experience. After a few years in this form, it takes off throwing out long, banded 'horns' that in native habitat might reach as much as 3 meters.

I believe the man who gave me mine. I have both and one is a stem cutting growth that stayed in it's juvenile stage.

Titles don't impress me. As well as placing Sanseveria into Dracaena.

• Basia K
    3 years ago

'Leopard Bat' on my windowsill has leaves about 8-10 inches long, greyish or bluish green, with tips slightly rounded and concave cross-section. Fischeri is emerald-green, with absolutely different leaf cross-section, rather triangular, with sharp leaf tips etc. etc. etc. I will try to take some photos soon, even though the November lighting is dreadful. As for the "titles": personally I like to be precise; you of course need not be, it is your choice. However, I feel that if some degree of precision is absent, then rational discussion is becoming difficult.

3 years ago

Looking forward to your pictures Basia. Just noticed my small one is sprouting a new pup. Don't know if it will stay small or turn into the large growing kind.

Next to it is Pink Bat.

• Basia K
    3 years ago

In the middle - S.fischeri.

Same plant, slightly different angle.

This big leaf is 'Leopard Bat'.

'Leopard Bat' again.

And here is the shape of 'Leopard Bat'.

3 years ago

First thing I noticed is your leaf is much wider than mine.

Singularis meaning a single leaf as opposed to the juvenile plant having several forming a rosette. All my S. fischeri Leopard Bat was given to me by one man who said they are all the same. The smaller one stayed small but was told it will get big some day. I removed a few pups that started to form a single big leaf. Also pupped true with another small version of itself which I removed and gave away. This new pup seems to be a larger rosette forming plant but will see.

The S. halii 'Pink Bat' and S. halii 'Blue Bat' are space hogs and at least the Leopard Bat grows straight up.

Basia, Are those seedlings I see in the pot? What hybrids or seedling are you working on?

I crossed S. Kirkii with S. trifasciata and got only two seeds and sadly nothing came out of them. They were good seed but couldn't get them to germinate.

• Basia K
    3 years ago

Well, all I've got on 'Leonard Bat' are two leaves so far and each one grows singly. No rosettes at all! Can't say if these are juvenile or mature, I have had this plant for over a year. Fischeri is of course VERY much juvenile and a single leaf is probably several years away :) Still, coming back to original issue, the difference between 'L.B.' and fischeri is striking.

S.hallii I grow too, but only standard species, not easy to obtain something more colourful :)

These seedlings are S.elliptica 'Horwood', I got seeds from a friend and they sprouted fast and very nicely, I have given most plants away and kept three for myself. They are about four months old. And one is 'Sudwalla Caves' (so the seller said) which I bought as a seedling. And I have no idea whether it will grow true to mother plant or not ;)

3 years ago

Basia, Well I hate to admit when I'm wrong but I just found my original S. fischeri Singalaris and it is completely different than my S. fischeri Leopard Bat. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

The mind is a terrible thing to have some times when it doesn't work right.

The plants I have been showing are Leopard Bat and my Sinalaris is much tighter and rounder growing stems. Almost like S. cylindrical.

I will make a note in my files on the hybrid Leopard Bat now.

So sorry for all who was reading this.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022