SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Deck design, zone 7A

I had this deck built about 10 years ago, and at the time I built it around the hot tub to keep it recessed. It has 2 levels: the upper level is even with the sliding glass doors, then you step down about 8" to get to the lower level with the hot tub.

The upper level is OK, I think. I have a sitting area with umbrella, chairs, and a never-used fire pit that's really just used to sit drinks. I also have a rarely-used bench, a grill, a planter that holds lilies during the warm months and kale during the winter, and a few small pots on plant stands.

The view from the deck is of a shade garden with a goldfish pond and waterfall. I like it a lot, too :-)

But the bottom level... that's the problem child.

I have a lounge chair that takes up WAY too much room, but my girlfriend likes to lay in the sun and insists that it's the only place for it.

I have 2 planters; one has a crape myrtle sapling and usually has sweet potato vine during the summer, the other has lilies and kale to match the one on the upper level.

But unlike the top level, this bottom level looks sparse and empty. The problem is that I need to get around the hot tub, so anything I try to do ends up in the way! There's only about 25" between the hot tub and the railing in the back, and I have to walk through there when I take the cover off.

I lean the cover on the back rail, too, so I can't really put anything there.

The bottom level is considered full shade... it's shaded by the house until around noon, then shaded by trees on the Western side by around 3 or 4pm. It gets a full blast of sun from noon to 3, though.

Any suggestions on how to beautify this level, without everything getting in the way?

I'm posting some photos below, taken today so you can see what I'm dealing with. I started the photo journey from the Eastern side of the upper level of the deck, then walked towards the Western side where the hot tub is.

In the last pic you can see the side of the house... it's just a big blank wall, and I have no idea how to make it look better. I thought about a vertical hanging garden, but it's in full shade with MAYBE 1-2 hours of sun. And the heat pump is right there. I'd love some ideas on how to make it look better, too.

Comment (1)